powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to decorate my mantle w a 14ft ceiling?!
jimmypaige
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have tall ceilings in our new house. I'm totally stumped on how to decorate the mantle.
(What's up now is just something I threw up with some other decorations for Christmas, and is now removed)
Do I decorate just the bottom portion? Do I take the decor all the way up? Do I center something in the middle? Any help is fabulous! Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbshel
I don't usually like a TV above the mantle, but in this particular room I think it would look a lot better than the present arrangement.
Push the sofa back against the windows (I read your other post too) and maybe put a wing chair or tall back chair and floor lamp where the TV currently sits.
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
olldcan
Have you considered installing your flat screen above the fireplace. Side by side looks like the two are not getting along well. I'd seriously consider this option and then your sofa would not have to be diagonal and block that beautiful window.
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:19PM
otmminaj
I would put the tv on the mantle put a molding around the tv to make it look like a painting or mirror and flank it with some vases. If not just pick items that are tall so u can give your tall walls justice
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:21PM
Jacqueline Pestano
I'll put the T.V. On the mantle. Then let the sofa face the mantle . Then add decorative pieces.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:40PM
cyn222
pic attached
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:51PM
cyn222
I would place the tv in the framed out area in dark grey above fireplace. Move couch away from fireplace.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:52PM
Aja Mazin
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:55PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi jimmypaige.

This ideabook might give you some ideas...

Good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:02PM
jimmypaige
Thanks everyone. The furniture isn't really "arranged". It's just clustered in the middle of the room til we figure it out. We don't want to put the tv on the mantle bc the mantle is over 5ft tall, and will have to strain our necks to watch. (Plus, my hub already put his foot down on this issue!) anyway, I loved the idea of bringing moulding up to the ceiling, but instead if the tv up there, maybe some pretty art or something. I don't love the idea of a mirror up there bc it's so cliche, but maybe with some cute thing over it, it would be a lot cuter. I've sure got my work cut out for me in this room!! I just want to watch tv comfortably w my fam!!
Thanks again for your thoughts.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:52AM
Susan Scott
I agree with your husband! No TVs over mantles! Maybe the TV could be on the other side of the room and have comfortable seating arrangements facing both directions. With the high ceilings, either a large interesting art or collectable object or an arrangement of various sized frames, etc. One large picture in a frame would be very static, boring, and overwhelming.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:11AM
PRO
All About Home Electronics.com
http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/how-to/hang-a-tv-on-a-wall.html. Literally the "exact" same layout as my home. Consider putting large mirror over mantel, I put a high end mirror over mine. I may end up taking a photo of mine and post it here. Article has photo of TV over fireplace and takes about pros and cons of putting TV over fireplace
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:28AM
PRO
Cover Your Windows (1991) Ltd
Since your hubby has squashed the idea of the tv over the mantle I would have a custom cabinet built to the right of the mantle to house the tv and any other components. I would match it up with the trimming of the fireplace. Maybe you could add some glass cabinetry to the top of the cabinet to feature special items. Then above the fireplace an amazing vertical photo or landscape picture with some vases on either side like someone else suggested. You might be able to find a prefab shelf system/bookcase maybe at Ikea. Just a thought. I think by raising up the tv you will bring more balance. Good luck with your project
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:43AM
MAlps
I would put the couch further against the window and the TV more in the middle of the room, further form the fireplace. I don't know fursure if thats a solution because I don't know the setup of the full room
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:52AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.