powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Challenging space- Hoping for help w/ best furniture layout!
jennifermcurran
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having such a hard time figuring out the best way to use this space and sure appreciate any ideas!

We may be selling the house, so we may want to set it up just to stage, but would like to have a television in the space either way

__
The room is 26 x 10 plus a 8 x 5 area that makes it an "L" (pictured last below w/ the lower ceiling).

The fireplace is unappealing and is not real. Should we just have shelves built to cover it up?

There is also a potentially cute, built-in bench seat (pictured 2nd below).
__

I greatly appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions.

Thanks so much, & best to you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjmoon
What about putting the TV in the bench seat area and then adding some shelves on both sides to make it look like a built in? We had a similar situation in our basement, and made it into an entertainment center and have been quite happy with it. I'm not sure if the overhead lighting is a good choice here. I think I would get rid of that and just go with table lamps.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 9:47PM
jennifermcurran
Thanks for your thoughts. I thought about that too and that could be good.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:51PM
cyn222
The wall color works with the fireplace. How about just placing two chairs in front of the fireplace and and a different sitting area behind it? I'd use the bench seat for either shelving or as a sitting area that faces a tv. Adding more seating will create more areas to enjoy. Good luck with your sale.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:55PM
jennifermcurran
Yes, I thought about a couple of chairs on both sides of the alcove and a tv on the opposite wall facing it. Or doing what the above commenter said with the tv in it. The bad thing about that setup is that there is no good way to walk through it and to another little possible seating area by the fireplace. Thank you for the message!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:02PM
Natalie
Hi--what is the wall opposite the bench? Could you upload another photo-take it from the FP so we could see more of the space? Thanks!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:08PM
Natalie
Also, could you explain the traffic pattern for this space as I see only 1 door, right of the FP...
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:10PM
jennifermcurran
Hi Natalie. That door you see by the fireplace will rarely be used. People will enter on the opposite end of the room from the fireplace into the 5 x 8 area pictured which has a lower ceiling and makes the room an 'L' as that is where the stairs land. Upon entry, you would turn right and see the length of the room with the alcove on the right and the fireplace on the far end.

I can't upload that picture now because I'm not home. But across from the alcove, the wall bends out slightly to accommodate piping for about 16 inches and then bends back in and the continues straight to complete the 26' length of the room.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:19PM
Natalie
Hi---ok I like this for the bottom of the stairs [[houzz=Contemporary Living Room]houzz=]

This positioned opposite end of room of FP [houzz=Transitional Basement]

Sectional sofa for far end [houzz=Eclectic Basement]

Remove the FP and add the TV in the niche/bench area.
Check Craigslist.com for furniture and accessories. Simple floating shelves are inexpensive and easy to install. A table and chairs can be used for gaming, crafts, homework, eating, etc.
When potential buyers see a room with all these furnishings, it's a Big plus and you could include everything in the sale of the home!
Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:53PM
jennifermcurran
I love the bottom of the stairs idea. I thought about having some simple wine storage built for that area, but this would be more affordable.

I like a gaming table too. If the sectional is on the entry end, there's no place for a tv. I just read that people buying houses may not have a lot of imagination about how to set it up, so I wanted to do that for them with items from Craigslist, etc. That would put the sectional by the alcove I think, with the tv in it, unless there's a better alternative.

Thank you for the beautiful ideas!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:15AM