Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with redoing my kitchen
tash2115
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Redoing my kitchen but not sure if I should open this wall. Would like to get rid of bar and get new design idea
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
thislittlehouse
Oh definitely open it up! You won't regret having more light and air in your kitchen - it looks quite dark in the pics. Are you going to entirely redo the kitchen? If you want advice on the layout you may need to put up a floor plan so that we can get a sense of adjoining rooms, doors, windows etc.
:) Elise
January 6, 2013 at 2:40PM   
bonnieth
I am so happy that I added a large window to the outside and got rid of my bar to have the kitchen more open to the dining room.
January 6, 2013 at 2:52PM   
tash2115
Yes I plan to gut it out and do the entire kitchen. I wish I could put in a larger window but I will lose out on cabinetry. I most likely would need to hire a kitchen designer to get it right. I would love more light, or if possible have an island with seating.
January 6, 2013 at 4:54PM   
Nancy Hehmann
Consult with a contractor. He will tell you if it is a load baring wall and if you can completely take it out or what is necessary to prevent a collapse. But, you are right it would be a great idea to open it up.
January 6, 2013 at 5:02PM   
tash2115
My contractor was not able to quite tell, but will check again- but that also is a concern for me as well.
January 6, 2013 at 5:12PM   
judianna20
If your contractor cannot tell you immediately what is a load bearing wall, you need to get a new contractor. I could tell you what is a load bearing wall; no secret to that.
January 6, 2013 at 5:15PM   
tash2115
that was funny. I actually didn't' think of the option of opening up the wall, until after- but I don't believe it is-I will have him look to be sure.
January 6, 2013 at 5:30PM   
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Where is your current eating area? Is it the bar with the stools? Or do you have an eating area on the other side of that wall?
I too would love the openness of removing that wall but you need to think about an eating area as well so the room design functions right for you and your family.
January 6, 2013 at 5:43PM   
bonnieth
I agree, a good contractor will know what is a load bearing wall. Although mine was, I still got my new window because he added bracing and support......I ended up with MORE cabinet space because I pulled the kitchen into the dining space some. My last cabinets have glass inserts for my china so I don't have to have a china cabinet, only room for the table.
January 6, 2013 at 6:04PM     
tash2115
yes I have a dining area- I did use the barstool- the kitchen is very small so I think opening it up will allow for more room. I wanted to put a island with cabinetry too just to have additional cabinets in the center as well. I am still playing around with the layout.
January 6, 2013 at 6:31PM   
More Discussions
Trim Question
We have a 1940's house will all the original wood work....
How to get the look I want for my living room/kitchen
Hello! I am looking for some help with my living...
chandelier
which room should have a fancier chandelier? the living...
What color should I paint a small condo with NO direct light?
We just bought a 850 sq ft week-end condo with the...
Banisters or not??
Husband doesn't want to put porch banisters on, but...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.