powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help splash of colour needed, too much cream and brown...
bron1
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help I need some inspiration for our open plan, living, dining and kitchen as too brown and cream...very large space and I can't paint the walls just yet as they were painted a year ago when we purchased the house. I have recently bought a duck egg blue Laura Ashley lampshade and thinking duck egg.. The dining table has been replaced with a dark wooden cottage style one and white bookshelf has gone. But I would like the space/ rooms to have more of a traditional/modern feel and I'm a bit stuck on style and colour.. Any suggestions please?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jo Hanna
I think red would be the color with a picture collage of your favorite subject.
January 6, 2013 at 3:29AM   
MAlps
How about orange
January 6, 2013 at 3:49AM     
PRO
Curtain Call Designs
Red was the first thing I thought of when I looked at this.
January 6, 2013 at 4:00AM   
PRO
Creative Colour Works
I would add a large piece of art work on canvas with a mix of colours to include the turquoise , reds yellow oranges , the wall appears too large and empty and needs balance .
January 6, 2013 at 4:04AM     
laurieeas
My first thought was....what about flipping the spaces? What if the dining room table was in front of the window and the tv stuff was against the brown wall with the chairs on that side? (Hard to tell if that might work.) I also thought....it would be fun to do a modern stencil over the brown...using white paint and then finding a few affordable pieces of art. Also a mirror on the brown wall well placed would reflect the outdoor view again.
January 6, 2013 at 4:05AM     
Jo Hanna
Yipes on the orange.
January 6, 2013 at 4:11AM   
txyellowrose
I live in an old barn which is open plan. Your idea of brown and duck egg is great. Incorporate it into a large canvas (which you could do yourself) put a contrast of seat cushions on the chairs. Bring your table away from the door. Why did you get rid of the bookcase? you could have turned it on its side and made it into a buffet to house a nice display, not just with books by the way. Paint the bookcase!
January 6, 2013 at 4:23AM     
txyellowrose
m
January 6, 2013 at 4:26AM   
bron1
Thanks for the advice and info everyone. I've added a couple of photos of the new table. I'm going to replace the cushion upholstery and I'm not sure if I will keep the large recent family portrait on this wall. ( not sure if we want to look at it whilst eating dinner ) I'm after a warm inviting feel and love Laura Ashley style and hate my modern boring ikea furniture.. The white bookcase was from ikea and I've put it in my babys room for his toys, as the table takes up more of the space and the babys high chairs sits in the corner. Any more ideas on the space would be appreciated, thank you
January 6, 2013 at 1:00PM   
thefinerdesigner
Now that you've posted more pics, I can get a better sense of your floor plan. I like what someone else suggested about putting the table in front of the patio doors. I'm not sure if that would work with your floorplan or not (doorways, etc that we can't see). I love the new table; however, the chairs are very dated. If they are sturdy and you intend to keep them, paint them (white and/or black) reupholster in either one or several coordinating fabrics (I'm envisioning a leafy green) and carry that accent color into the living area with toss pillows (repeat some of the fabric and introduce new coordinating ones). I've attached some things that match the color green I'm envisioning. As far as the kitchen, I love the clean look of white but it looks a bit stark and cold. Accent with some of that same leafy green (hand towels, a crock for utensils, even a wire bowl of limes or Granny Smith apples!) and consider glazing the cabinets (where stain only goes into the grooves) to give it a bit more character and would look great with the existing black tile trim. As far as the family portrait goes, it is a wonderful piece but I agree about not having it in your dining space. It is a great focal point for a living room or entryway though!
January 6, 2013 at 1:21PM     
bron1
Thanks for the green info, I had thought of green and have lots of green cushions, vases, pictures etc from our old house which was modern and smaller. But I fancied a change, that said I keep coming back to green or blue..

It's a hard space to tie together, I would like to make the spaces work better for themselves and the previous owners fitted the kitchen it's Dulux hog bristle in colour and I think the walls are too, it all blends together too much and looks a bit bland. I painted the brown wall in the dining room because it was a horrid blue/green colour before. I would love to paint the kitchen walls and again thinking duck egg, but there is no divide between the areas I would have to paint the whole room blue and think that would be overkill?? Was thinking a lighter cream? And wallpaper the wall behind the sofa? wallpaper over the brown wall?

Great idea about moving the dining table to the living area, the two spaces are a different size and we couldn't fit the living in the dining area. Off the dining area is an office and then our bedroom via the wooden doors.
January 6, 2013 at 1:36PM   
rtist9
Your house is fab. Add lavendars to your kitchen and purple to the other rooms. That purple will pop all the browns and creams. You dont have to repaint anything. I love the brown, add a flat screen to that wall. Really your home screams purples and lavendars and golds if you are daring.Purple is classy and sophisticated with cream. It is a outside the box color!
January 6, 2013 at 1:49PM     
pinkturnip
You've got a good basic palette going here with the brown and neutrals! I agree the family portrait needs to be in a den or bedroom area. I like the idea of purchasing a large blank canvas, (or stretch one yourself), choosing a group of three colors that inspire you, and create your own art for above the table. It can serve as your focal point and give you reference when you use these three colors sparingly throughout your living, dining, and kitchen areas.
You many want to paint the canvas white before you begin your splashes of color, and add some background elements on the canvas in the browns family to pull it into the room.
January 6, 2013 at 1:50PM     
renostufftosell
I agree with the orange/red combo and of color and I think it should be a very large and substantial image....have a look at these images - I happen to have a chocolate brown wall as well. Let m know what you think.
January 6, 2013 at 1:59PM     
pinkturnip
Here is just an example of what you might create. On this canvas there is your duck egg blue family, introducing the red splashes with yellows, all tied in with the brown foundational color.
You could do the same using the apple green as one of the colors if you are wanting to use some of your old green accessories. you could use the fabric suggestions from above for your pillows, repeating the apple green, (or blues) with a spot of red and yellow using vases, pottery, etc. Keep the color additions with accessories primarily solid in color and use a very sparse number of them around the room, creating the "Pops" against the browns. (Hate using the over-tired word "pop" to express the idea, but I haven't thought of another one yet. ;-)
January 6, 2013 at 2:00PM     
bron1
Love it too I have painted the spare bedroom red, gold and cream and it looks very chic with dark wood furniture. I always seem to make the mistake of painting each room a different colour and a different scheme and this time. Want to get it right, but I'm not off to the best start as our room is blue and cream, the hall and recent bathroom Reno is cream, browns and white.. I really need to settle for one colour scheme and let it flow and pop!!! Throughout the house, ha ha
These are some of the images I like.. Any thoughts or ideas on these?
January 6, 2013 at 2:18PM   
renostufftosell
I like the collage of photos - you could have a lot of fun with color on that one - could be punchy or demure - I personally the minimalist style of that one as opposed to the other photos...every piece is showcased that way. Having said that tere are great individual pieces in each of the other photos,,,and I love the huge windows nand deep sills in picture number three.
January 6, 2013 at 2:24PM   
bron1
Great idea with the canvas, I have one that size that I used to have in my new house in the UK it's green, grey and black in a retro print and doesn't look right in this house.. Thought about reusing the frame and finding a bit of fabric or putting new white fabric on and painting it instead of canvas to keep the cost down..
January 6, 2013 at 2:42PM   
Nancy Hehmann
The fabric idea would work. Why dont you also look on Etsy.com for artwork - photography or painting. It is a collection of "shops " from all over the world and you can contact the owners with questions. They have other home decor items as well. Just input what you want in the search engine. I have a photography shop, nancyhehmann. I like your brown wall. Photography of an ocean scene could add drama and color or some place you have been or dream about going. High def is very realistic and mood lifting. Once you have chosen artwork or photography, you can pull colors from it for use as other accent pieces.
January 6, 2013 at 2:54PM   
bron1
That another awesome idea Carolina, I often look at the shopping website but never purchased anything before. If I go with the splashes of duck egg blue then I could add this landscape photo to the wall, it's the local beach 5 Kim's away :) photo coming up...
January 6, 2013 at 4:41PM     
bron1
This would look great as a landscape sized canvas :-) thanks again for all your help and ideas ladies and gents x
January 6, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Nancy Hehmann
If it is your own photo file you can even have photography printed on canvas. I use a nationally rated photo lab that I have an account at. But, anyone can upload photography to Shutterfly.com.
January 6, 2013 at 4:46PM   
thefinerdesigner
To play off another's suggestions about a diy canvas - go to Goodwill (or other similar place) and see if you can find a cheap canvas (if it's already framed, even better). Buy some small containers of paints (pick two neutral colors and your one accent color) and let your kids help you make an abstract pic to hang over the table. To imitate the framed collage in your inspiration pic, you don't always have to frame photos. Frame fabrics, postcards, even scrapbook paper (you can buy it by the sheet at most hobby stores)! Walmart/Target, etc. usually have really cheap 8x10 frames (and even 8x8, etc.) that you can use and spray paint if necessary. A grouping like that can really make a statement. Good luck!
January 6, 2013 at 4:48PM     
bron1
I'm in Australia and Officeworks and Harvey Norman are reasonably priced for canvas prints this size. Thank you -:)
January 6, 2013 at 4:48PM   
bron1
Hi everyone, me again...
Just thought I would add a couple of pictures of the living and dining room spaces. I decided on Camomile Laura Ashley striped wallpaper for the dining room area and I'm busy finding lots of bits and pieces that coordinate the open plan kitchen, dining and living area. So far it's working and I have some curtains similar to the hydrangea flower cushion in the picture. I've also added some pictures to the left and right wall of the dining area. But I'm still not seeing a room that's going wow! Help I need some help and advice with what to do next please? It just feels unfinished despite heaps of yellow items dotted around and new furniture...
July 31, 2013 at 3:28AM   
bron1
These are the curtains I have purchased, I just need to make them longer.
July 31, 2013 at 3:32AM   
kristylou
I think you need some glitz to get the wow you mentioned. Get lamps on the end tables with some sparkle either on the base or something shimmery on the shade. You can find a used one and spray paint it even. I'd find a couple pillows with some sequins or something for the furniture and throw blanket, not necessarily all yellow maybe gray? What type of lighting is in the dining room? Can you get a chandelier with some crystals or glitz for wow and to cast pattern around the room when it's on? Maybe a brushed nickle to work with the gray.... I love the yellow painting and pillows but feel the dining room chairs are dark so maybe a rug to brighten it up from the floors, table and chairs?
July 31, 2013 at 7:18AM     
bron1
I think the lamp idea is great as well as a sparkly light in the dining area as the only lighting we have is down lights. There is a striped lamp to the left of the sofa, but I took the small lamps off the tables as we have a 14 month year old son who loves cables.. The chairs are a bit darker than I ordered but I kept them to save waiting another 8 weeks for delivery.. See previous pictures ( they match the kitchen bench top) a rug under the table is another great idea and I've been thinking of putting the cream rug from the living area there and getting a larger maybe gold one for the living areas..
So more glitz and glam! I like the ideas as well as the greys.. Thank you for your time :-)
August 1, 2013 at 4:27AM   
ahelton142
I have almost same color I painted my den. I'm wanting to go with reds or oranges . Just to brighten up !
August 1, 2013 at 4:56AM     
kristylou
they make slipcovers for those chairs also when you want a change. gray would be beautiful with your scheme!
August 1, 2013 at 6:31AM     
bron1
Even the flowers have lifted the area up a little :-)
August 7, 2013 at 2:48AM   
bron1
And this is the light have purchased for the dining area..
August 7, 2013 at 2:51AM     
PRO
Rise Art
Hi, you could consider an artwork to fit? Check out my website www.riseart.com/art and you can easily scan for something that catches your eye or use the search filters. See below for a small selection. Or can email me with more specific ideas of what you might like and I send you a shortlist. Rgds, Conrad conrad@riseart.com
August 7, 2013 at 3:54AM     
bron1
Finished result :-) I'm very pleased with the light and Laura Ashley wallpaper..
December 20, 2013 at 2:14AM     
decoenthusiaste
Nice look!
December 20, 2013 at 1:02PM   
bygeorgi
A pop of turquoise , aqua or a rose all compliment the brown. I had a chocolate brown focal wall with a white cabinet in front and a salmon rose chair... it made the room pop. kinda like this.....
December 20, 2013 at 1:31PM     
bron1
Hi bygeorgi, thanks for taking the time to comment on my photos. I updated previous conversation yesterday with the picture of the striped wallpaper, large globe and mirrors. The yellow, cream, white colour scheme and dark wood is my finished result :-)
December 21, 2013 at 12:49AM