Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen/ breakfast room horrible
janejoseph
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought an old fixer upper before my spouse lost his job. Now that we are financially unable to do as planned, I am trying to find a solution to my tiny kitchen with plastic counters that is separated by a "breakfast room" that is just as dingy thanks to the common floor of kitchen and breakfast. Any ideas that would not kill us financially? Notice floors. Not real brick. (Excuse the mess in the breakfast room, we were painting the sunroom)Thank you so much!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Tri R Construction
I would consider putting a warm paint color on the walls (Sherwin Williams, Softer Tan) this will help the white cabinets to have definition, because there's no color other than the floor and the appliances; the eye is drawn towards them. Try and make the focal point your cabinets as their really pretty with the glass, put something in there that will really make a statement. Paint is affordable and you'll be surprised by what it can do for your kitchen.
January 6, 2013 at 5:56am   
Opal
Is the "brick" floor tile or linoleum?
I'm thinking there might be a way to freshen up the floor via paint/resurfacing without breaking the bank :)
January 6, 2013 at 6:01am   
Donna Talley
I would start by clearing off the countertops and windowsill. Then re-arrange the items showing through the glass cabinets, maybe stick with a color theme, such as cobalt blue. Then find a couple of decorative cobalt blue items for the countertop. Replace the dingey curtain with something pretty, also in blue. Find a carpet runner or two for the floor. And post before and after pictures for us when it's all done.
Kitchen examples
Kitchen Renovation
Denville, NJ kitchen reno
January 6, 2013 at 6:35am     
janishill
The space isn't bad, just messy. If you added a bright Roman shade it would liven the space up. If you don't need it to function you can easily make one from an old blind and a piece of fun fabric: http://parkhouselove.com/2012/04/15/diy-roman-shade-from-a-mini-blind/

When that is done add accent in the primary color. Don't forget ~ spray paint is your friend.

What is your style? Pottery Barn, West Elm, Ballards? Google Pottery Barn Knock off or West Elm Knock offs, Ballard knock offs, etc. You can find thousands of blogs that teach how to dmake cheap and easy projects that look great. You'll find a list if you scroll down this page:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/best-home-design-blog-nominations-the-homies-2012-166616

Hope to see updates!
January 6, 2013 at 6:44am   
PRO
Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl)
I agree with JanisHill. Make some small changes to help you love your kitchen again. Just a refreshing paint, or new knobs, a rug,new roman shade or even just back your kitchen cabinets with a fun fabric like here:
January 6, 2013 at 7:07am     
cookiescrispy
There are some positives in your pics. Play on those. I see crown moulding? White cabinets with nice pulls...accentuate those (is what I would do). Color would help the pureness of the white cabinets. Rearraging nice colorful dishes in glass window cabinet doors would add a 'cottage-type' charm, imo. Just some ideas. Good luck to you. I've been there, and find myself there again...it certainly sucks! :)
January 6, 2013 at 7:22am   
chris_wolff
Suggest "packing up" the kitchen as though you were moving or renovating. Pull back out just the essentials as you need them. Love Brittany's idea above about wall paper behind the glass cabinets (I have a friend who bought the C2 large format paint sample cards in cool red and glued into the back of her shelves. Amazing how great it looks for a $20 investment and scissor labor! ) Also think about uniform plates all in white. Lastly--what about an indoor/outdoor carpet from Dash And Albert to punch up the breakfast room and hide the faux brick? Realize these are $ suggestions, but inexpensive and could camouflage quite a bit. Hang in there--
January 6, 2013 at 7:30am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Everyone is right. It really isn't that bad. A quick clean out only keep what you need. Paint and some things from Home goods or marshalls. You will be surprised what a little can do.
January 6, 2013 at 7:39am   
kitasei
This does not qualify as a fixer upper in my book. You have stainless appliances, a terra cotta tile (?) floor, white cabinets with glass windows and up to date hardware, an expanse of beautiful butcher block, a triple stainless sink! I am not crazy about the shade and wonder if you need anything on the window. The countertop and backsplash area could be improved, of course, but doesn't need to be expensive. You can find a vintage pendant lamp for over the sink to add character. If I were to suggest a single upgrade to take this kitchen to the next level, it would be a knock-out faucet.
January 6, 2013 at 8:02am