Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My new living room needs HELP!!!!
Monica
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello there I need some direction with our living space, we moved our furniture from a larger house and we crammed it in the new space. We love the big comfy sofas but if I am honest I am bored with them, we had them 14 years so I would be open to the idea of changing them. The first photo is as you enter the room, to the left we have a small table and a 3 seater sofa (see second picture) then immediately after the sofa we have another door on this wall ( see 3 rd picture).
Disregard the sky box we recently purchased a Bose sound system and the lead was not long enough it will be moved on Tuesday and the cables will disappear of course. I hate that our washing machine is on show ( the previous owner added the electric panel behind these units so we can have integrated appliances but that will change in the summer)
I guess I am looking at ways of making this room look great, what would you improve ? Thank you so much in advance Monica :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Monica
I forgot to add the image to the wall with the window so here it is
January 6, 2013 at 6:44AM   
svoberholtzer
Maybe get a smaller coffee table. Also, if you are going for a different set of sofas try ones with arms that don't come all the way out -- arms that are set lower or are receded backwards from the front end of the seat cushion. Please be aware that a smaller couch could mean you will be dealing with a more shallow seat which could compromise your comfort.
January 6, 2013 at 6:53AM     
Monica
I agree the table is to big. The arms on the current sofa make great additional seating believe it or not :) and I don't think I would be keen on shallow seating. What kind of table do you think I should look for?
January 6, 2013 at 7:01AM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I love the room and I love the green on the wall, would continue the whole room in that shade. The tansu look fabulous against this color. The coffee table seems too high, change it to an ottoman which can provide occasional seating as well. Agree to changing out the sofas..I would go for a sofa and then armchairs , but not have them match. Upholstered sofa and armchairs give you more color options in a room and can be easily reupholstered when you tired of them. I would also clean out the window sill and add a nice roman shade there. Love the room though.
January 6, 2013 at 7:22AM     
PRO
Durpetti Interiors
Yes, smaller coffee table and a lighter fabric sofa and pair of armchairs would work better in this space. Best of luck!
January 6, 2013 at 7:28AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It isn't nearly as bad as you described. A sofa and 2 chairs is a good idea or consider a sectional. The coffee table has to go. If you do not like the idea of an ottoman/table. Make sure the table is round or oval no square edges.
January 6, 2013 at 7:46AM   
nancymic
I agree with the paint comment. The Chinese cabinet is deemphasized by being split by the two colors meeting in the corners of the room. Coffee table too high. Also what about staining the mantlepiece darker?
January 6, 2013 at 8:06AM     
teresa_007
The living room is lovely, but I agree that the coffee table is too high, and of course the washing machine shows too much. I would put a square coffee table or two rectangular ones.
January 6, 2013 at 8:29AM     
Tammy Sprinkle
Hi Monica,

I love your armoire and the nice rich tones in your room. First thing I would do is to either stain the fireplace surround/mantel the same shade as the other furniture in the room or paint it white to match the the crown molding and trim in the room. The fireplace wall color is making the space look smaller than it is. I would choose a shade or two darker paint than the other 3 walls are in the room.

Your coffee table is a bit large. Maybe find something smaller on an iron base, or something round that allows easier traffic flow.

One of your sofas could be replaced with 2 fabric covered chairs (not over sized) separated by a small table, say in front of the windows. Again this would make for better traffic flow.

The entry table is pretty and I see it matches the armoire but it feels really large and heavy. Perhaps you could move it to another room and put something less cumbersome it it's place, such as this wall mounted table. Easy to do yourself with a reclaimed piece of lumber, glass or stained piece of wood mounted on brackets.

Good luck!
January 6, 2013 at 9:14AM     
Monica
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your advice. I thought about staining the mantle darker but I wondered if it would make everything too dark? I am keen on moving away from the matchy, matchy style but I have a feeling is a lot harder to make it work :)
I love the idea of a nice ottoman in a different texture maybe? Any ideas on colours?
January 6, 2013 at 9:19AM   
Monica
Hi Tammy thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. I Love that round table, unfortunately I am not fond of the shelf idea in the living room, that is something I could envisage in a small hallway but maybe I could find a console instead? Eeeks my head hurts now LOL
January 6, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Monica
Hello everyone based on your advice I made some choices and I am keen to see whether I m heading in the right direction with this. I added the fabby grasscloth to the fireplace wall and plan to do the same to the opposite wall the other two walls have been painted in French Grey from Farrow and Ball.
I bought a cheap table on eBay and turned it into an upholstered ottoman, I feel the room is so much more spacious without our previous table. I removed the earth pots from the window sills with some ornate plaques but I am not sure what do you think? Also for the window treatment I decided that I will add an upholstered pelmet ( I think they are called cornices in the US?)
Do you think I should go dark? Light patterned? Thank you so much for all your help I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. Virtual hugs :)
January 20, 2013 at 12:49PM     
Monica
I forgot to say I am still to tackle the mantle :)
January 20, 2013 at 12:49PM   
Tammy Sprinkle
I love the grass cloth on the walls and the new ottoman/coffee table. It's looking great. I also love that you brought in an animal print. 1 is always nice. It adds one more element of surprise and elegance. Nice job! Yes, we call them cornices here in the US. What color/pattern are you thinking?
January 20, 2013 at 5:36PM     
Monica
Tummy thank you for your time, I added another picture as I am keen to find some fabric like the ball I have in the bowl. mustard background with accents of chocolate cream and black, something that would add a bit of pattern? I'm I barking at the wrong tree?
January 21, 2013 at 12:42AM   
Monica
As for the zebra yes nothing else will be added with that pattern, in fact I was so scared to do it we lived with the fabric over the table for a week before to make sure we liked it. It felt odd the first day but we both knew it was right when after a week we took it out of the room. I quite like and the plan for this room is to replace one sofa with 2 chairs as suggested then replace the big sofa with one that has a leaner body.
January 21, 2013 at 12:46AM   
Monica
Oops sorry for misspelling your name, my iPad doesn't like me much, it keeps on doing this :)
January 21, 2013 at 12:48AM   
designideas4me
LOL.................... Virtual hugs !!!

I love that comment.
January 21, 2013 at 1:06AM   
Tammy Sprinkle
lol...No worries. I can't even tell you what my daughter's Iphone called one of her coworkers whose name is Nick. Not good and embarrassing. Oh well, gotta love modern technology.
January 21, 2013 at 2:50PM