powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on wall colours to complement these curtains!
Chris T
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am redoing our spare bedroom. I would like to create a stunning effect in what is a fairly small double room. Does anyone have ideas on both paint and headboard that would go well with these existing curtains? I plan to put the bed ire recess .
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judishines
Those are stunning curtains, with an oriental print. Have you considered a grasscloth-type wall covering or a neutral-on-neutral vertical stripe? They would both be great to accent the curtains. Bamboo and oriental accents will make wonderful statements, too.
January 6, 2013 at 6:55AM     
Chris T
Both are interesting ideas. Do you think I should paint the single recessed wall a dark colour to make the recess seem deeper? Also what do you have in mind when you say neutral on neutral vertical stripe?
January 6, 2013 at 7:00AM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Agree with judishines above...what beautiful goblet pleated drapes! If you could get more of the drape fabric you could dress the bed niche with fabric too look like a bed canopy. Love the grass cloth idea for the walls, and another option would be to have the walls upholstered in a neutral linen which could look fabulous in a small space.
January 6, 2013 at 7:03AM     
judishines
I was thinking of a vertical stripe wallpaper, although you could do the same with paint -- one color that is near the background color of the curtains and then another neutral -- maybe a lighter vanilla, tan, or soft white, just to add some depth to the plain walls and to accent the curtains. It's a small room. Maybe two-inch wide vertical stripes? The grasscloth would look fantastic -- adds texture and warmth without overwhelming a small space. I have recently had an upholstered headboard custom-made for a small space, just with a thick foam covered in fabric. You could do that for your whole recessed wall -- floor to ceiling and have a dramatic headboard without overwhelming a narrow space. That way, anyone could lean against the wall and have a soft headboard and the wall would be totally accented.
January 6, 2013 at 7:09AM     
mlintothefire
I would use a dark wood head board and other furniture to pull out the contrasts on the curtains. Organic greener on the recessed window shelf and green accents around the room, toss pillows, pictures or 2. maybe a chair.
January 6, 2013 at 7:12AM   
jrbarstow
I would use some of the new taupe colors. It will add color and you can tie in the black that is in the curtains with decorative touches such as pillows or even furniture with a black stain. You can also add iron work type decorations
January 6, 2013 at 7:25AM     
Chris T
Love to see a photo of your headboard if you have one. Ref the stripes do you think this would work:

January 6, 2013 at 7:35AM   
clearfieldbison
Please look at Ben Moore Slip in the Affinity collection. It is a very calm,peaceful lavender. I used it in my guest room and everyone who stays (male,female,young,old) comments on what a pleasant room it is.
January 6, 2013 at 8:16AM   
judishines
Those stripes above seem wide to me, and horizontal. They might overwhelm your delicate print curtains. The taupe color idea is a great idea, too.

Here's the headboard. It's horizontal -- runs basically across an entire small room wall to complement horizontal windows above. It's neutral because the room is small and I didn't want the headboard to bring the room forward visually, so I just accented with pillows. Spread and skirt are neutral, too, to make the bed appear smaller in the room. It worked!

The headboard is about 2 inch-thick foam covered with a fabric remnant in a scrubby linen weave. You could have 2 inch-thick foam cut the whole size of your wall and then have it covered in fabric before you attach it to the wall.
January 6, 2013 at 8:25AM     
judishines
Chris, try typing "vertical stripes for bedroom". You'll see an Alfonzo DiLauro bedroom in wine and taupe that would look great with your curtains. Too dramatic? Maybe use some of the colors.
January 6, 2013 at 8:38AM     
Nathalie
Stunning effect for small rooms is a good idea, it will make forget the room is small! ;-)

According to this, i would paint one wall dark (black, steel grey, night blue or dark brown) and do the same with the drawer chest.
Then you can go for any headboard : neutral color fabric, plain deep red or jade green or golden fabric(this last one looks stunning on any dark wall), wood or bamboo headboard but with a simple shape if you look for a zen atmosphere , or for a statement a really oriental shape one in red or golden !

I know it seems hard, but going till the end of your ideas ( the oriental look of the curtains) will improve the curtains and the all room.
The site below could also inspire you for any colors idea and style : http://www.pagodaroad.com/2012/01/turquoise-asian-inspired-rooms-and.html
January 6, 2013 at 9:46AM   
Chris T
love the Alfonso wallpaper idea and the headboard ideas from Natalie. Thankyou Judi shines and Natalie for all your help. One last Question, where is Jenovic based?
January 6, 2013 at 10:09AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I would consider painting the outside wall black in a gloss. I really, really like the idea of grasscloth on the other walls with the trim all done in a darker neutral to tie it in. Do you actually draw the curtains or do you need something else for privacy? If you do, I would do a heavy woven wood blind, but hang it behind the curtain rod instead of inside the window - that is too pretty to cover up at all. I would make the bed pretty neutral - use texture; no more pattern. Do the same with the bedding - tone on tone. The color should come in in an accent chair (maybe painted bamboo in the accent color of your choice) and a bedspread or throw at the end of the bed. That will make it muted, make the curtains stand out but also give you some standout color.
April 12, 2013 at 7:10PM     
More Discussions
Thanks for all the replies, we've narrowed it down
Pics never do color justice, but the wood is definitely...
Need ideas for future project. Enclosing breezeway.
What type of wall coverings are appropriate? It won't...
low roof over door that had to be moved for kitchen
help what to do with my door need finished look over...
Open living/dining area
My living room/ dining room measures approx 25ft by...
Tile size for a small room?
I am preparing to install tiles in a small 9 x 10 basement...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.