Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room and fireplace ideas?
Nat
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would LOVE ideas for decorating our living room - fireplace decor, furniture and window treatments/blinds/curtains, especially!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
steffoxy
Roman shades.
January 6, 2013 at 10:15am     
michigammemom
Your fireplace is similar to the kiva style in this inspiration photo. I like the idea of woven shades for light control as well as plain linen drapery panels hung on wrought iron rods for softness. Also notice the combination of larger art work and pottery on the mantle.
January 6, 2013 at 10:36am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
HI, okay here's what I'm thinking .....I'd use grass shades at the windows to continue the straight forward hard finishes that you have...... no drapery or blinds/shutters. The grass shades will add texture and the texture will in turn add a softness. Softness will be also achieved as the glass is not so exposed. It seems from the photos that there may be a view beyond and the shades will allow for a partial view. Shade may also be raised a bit, but I'd likely keep them lowered
January 6, 2013 at 10:45am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
As for the fireplace, the shade is nice however, the arch of stone is unfortunate. If the arch where flat I'd not have an issue with it. Question: would the sofa work facing the fire place? I'm not understanding from the photos the scale of things
January 6, 2013 at 10:48am     
decoenthusiaste
I would hang the huge chandy at the FP for a great splash of beauty and interest to draw eyes away from the barricade outside. Use the FP fixture about 36" above the round dining table. The scale will be much better. Looks as though you have window seats built-in. Make the most of them by moving furniture away, adding awesome pillows that lean against the windows. Try brighter fabrics there and put some fabric roman shades at each window. Outside, set some enormous terracotta pots with succulents and blooming cacti to provide another focal to help distract from the bars and wall.
January 6, 2013 at 11:04am     
patriciarhall
ditto decoenthusiaste and you have that wonderful colorful large art piece to pick colors from for pillows and accessories.
January 6, 2013 at 11:09am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
love the idea have hanging a chandelier in the center of the space......thinking that the amount of light coming into the space needs filtered light, if roman shades are used, I suggest not lining them to soften their impact....the room at the light level, when these shots were taken seems harsh.....were these morning shots?
January 6, 2013 at 11:09am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I'd introduce color with a great colorful rug
January 6, 2013 at 11:12am     
PRO
David Landy ASID CID NY State
Where is this shot located ? Is this a bad photo or is it unusually bright outside ? I say this because it seems that you could use either some sconces or indiscreet high hat lighting.... You need to address the following:to help you solve this dark ordinary room

FLOOR PLAN
LIGHTING PLAN
WINDOW TREATMENTS

I would carry the beam theme into the room via units to flank the fireplace and reducing the window view to slicing each window in half....this would give you a tv area and stereo area as well as increasing the focal pt of the room....

check out additional ideas for fireplace treatments at .... www.davidlandyinteriors.com
January 6, 2013 at 11:28am     
Nat
Thank you so much, everyone! I love reading your insights. What wonderful ideas! To answer the questions about the lighting and location, the photos were taken in the morning in New Mexico and the light was really filling the room.

steffoxy, michigammemom -- I am RIGHT with you on the shades and linen drapery sounds fabulous. michegammemom -- I love the photo you shared with the large art/small pottery contrast and I may also consider adding a beam/mantle like the one shown in your photo.

Gary -- Thank you! I love the idea of doing unlined/grass shades. I agree with you on the FB arch of stone IS unfortunate. I couldn't quite pin down why I didn't like it until you shared this. Thank you so much!! I'll look into options to modify this in particular. And the idea on the colorful rug is great. Right now the rug is a golden shag and it could use a boost. Do you think pattern or solid?

decoenthusiaste -- I love the idea of repositioning the chandy, pillows and giant terracotta with succulents. Awesome and easy enough!

patriciarhall -- great idea on picking colors from the art! I really DO love the color scheme in that piece.

David -- New Mexico and it was unusually bright outside -- I like the idea of sconces, too! Love the idea of increasing the focal point to the FP... thanks! I'll check out the site!

Lots to do! Time to get to work!
January 6, 2013 at 5:19pm   
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
Beautiful room with large windows.
Use some kind of natural shade like bamboo shades or grass shades.

The first thing I noticed is the sofa against the wall. I don't know how big the room is but if your sofa is against the wall everyone that wants to walk to the other end of the room has to walk in front of whom ever may be watching television.

Move the sofa close to the television so your traffic path will be behind the sofa.

Don't hang a picture above you fire place because you already have another beautiful work of art on the wall across the television. Find something sculptural to put above the fire place or hang something sculptural and round instead of a square or rectangle because you have two rectangular shapes on the other walls (your tv and picture across from the tv)

good luck! Send us pictures of the new room. Here are some pictures of scultural rounds you can hang above the mental. I love the one with the chains its convex also.
January 6, 2013 at 5:49pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as for the rug...try finding a tribal piece with geometric shape and COLOR
January 6, 2013 at 7:34pm     
Nat
Thank you!!
January 7, 2013 at 12:05pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love all the windows and the view looks interesting and seems to be private. I would do a soft roman shade but I probably would never lower them. So keep the as small a width as possible so it stacks high and doesn't block any of the view. A interesting mirror above the fireplace. That chairand 1/2 needs to go it is to big for the room.
January 7, 2013 at 12:14pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Don't you think it is worth considering to lose the iron (prison like) top of the wall.... I like the roman shade idea, but think it should be unlined to filter the view and make the iron less...visable
January 7, 2013 at 12:28pm     
Nat
Sorry for the delay everyone! Getting things done slowly but surely. Still haven't found the right window coverings, rug or chandy - and believe me, I've been looking. At least I found the mirror... more to come and it may be a while yet.
December 11, 2013 at 8:29am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Great room. Are in the desert? With lots of sun? Solar shades are nice, if in a hot climate? With panels on ends only. Color would be 2 shades darker than walls. Add a accent color for interest. Teal would work. Use in pillows and art. Even a chevron print in panels in a teal and white.
December 11, 2013 at 2:21pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
A tall 4 ft and narrow art piece for over fireplace. Can be art or a sculpture, what ever. Some colorful pots on end of mantel. And on end tables.
December 11, 2013 at 2:23pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Put a floor lamp behind chair tall.
December 11, 2013 at 2:24pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Nothing small on walls or firepl remove plants.
December 11, 2013 at 2:25pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Sorry just read yr post. U are in New Mexico. So may not need solar as in Arizona. Roman would work I would still add panels on ends. Your furn looks fine. Hard to tell from photo.
December 11, 2013 at 2:30pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Ok just saw mirror and pots. Good I like the pot colors, keep that going around room. How about chandelier that is round, usually black iron or bronze, with the lights that look like candles. Google.
December 11, 2013 at 2:32pm     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Ok a Nat, you work slow, but have a good eye. Keep shopping.
December 11, 2013 at 2:34pm     
PRO
VintageMaya
Accents are a great way to bring any room to life!
December 11, 2013 at 2:54pm     
Nat
@travis interiors - yes, this is totally going slowly - can't get my dear husband to like or decide much with me. We'll get there.
February 3, 2014 at 8:19pm