Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
To box or not to box in fireplace?
lulu22m
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This used to be a wall of stone. We cut away the sides and will be adding bookshelves to the right and left of fireplace, but can't decide whether or not to box in the top in (above the mantel). We plan on hanging the tv over the fireplace so it would make it easier to mount, but kind of like the stone look... What do you think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Looks like there is a lot of paint overspray or something on the stone. How do you plan to get that off?

I would box the top in so that you can get wires run and mount the tv.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:36AM
PRO
All About Home Electronics.com
http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/how-to/hang-a-tv-on-a-wall.html . Article contains photo and info on hanging TV of Fireplace
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:22AM
anitajoyce
Box the Top!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:24AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
For practicality purposes it sounds like the above comments are the solution, however, it is a nice look to keep the stone. You dont want any wires though, so iif it is the only way to hide them then you will need to box it in.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:25AM
decoenthusiaste
I love the complete look boxing would give, especially if you are into traditional. Also, here is a great look with exposed stone/brick if you're more casual in style.
Mary Trantow
Project in Tiburon
Big Screen
Basement Remodel - Mechanicsburg
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:27AM
PRO
All About Home Electronics.com
The "boxing" idea looks good, when done correctly. "Mary Trantow" photo should have had TV mount inset & "Big Screen" should have "some" height seperation if only an inch or two from mantel. The other details look ok. Pay close attention to the TV wall mount that gets spec'd out, I learned this from working together with other also very talented Interior Designers. These pictures are really great !
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:36AM
PRO
J Maness Designs
Here is an idea for boxing in; these photos shows the before & after. This was done all cosmetically without compromising the structure of the masonry fireplace.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:56AM
Tammy Sprinkle
I say box it in and create a niche for the tv. I would paint the stone or I would tile over it with something light reflecting. It looks a tad dull now.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:29AM
leabeau
We built our fireplace and loved the stone look so we built a niche to prevent our tv from sticking out so far (I don't like that). Too bad you couldn't cut out a niche in this stone just so your tv wouldn't stick out so far and would help with the wire hiding, etc. I like looking at all ideas so I have attached our firplace pics just to give you an idea of what our finished product was. Good Luck!
2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:10AM
iceddopio
I really like the way leabeau did it. It is a stunning PERFECT solution. I think the TV could be a touch lower though..
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:17AM
lulu22m
Thank you so much for all the great ideas! This was my first post, but will def do more!!! Think we'll box it in and will post updated photos when complete!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:42PM
Laura Stermer
There have been a lot of comments lately about the viewing difficulties of tvs up that high, you need furniture you can recline or lounge on to get the right angle without a crick in the neck. I know you replied 8 weeks ago... but maybe if you are like me and ponder a while before completing a project, this won't be too late. here are some off set tvs from fireplace..

French Country
While at CHil Design Group
University
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
need help with media console under an 85" wall mounted TV
looking for a media console/cabinet that is long enough...
Fireplace/mantel help
Can you help me decorate my mantel/fireplace? The only...
Backsplash? Ok?
Millenium cream granite, grey- green subway tile, cream...
Bathroom update
I need new bathroom fixtures. I presently have gold...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.