Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with corner space
francesgatti
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a corner that needs some pizzaz. It is in our great room which we are also thinking of redoing. We have a 17 feet ceiling with expansive wall space and travertine floors, which I love, however room can seem echoey. We had LOTS or decorations this Christmas and I loved the feel it gave to this room. I am now trying to add color to the room with decor, do not want to reprint at this point, and would like to add glass front bookcase, secretary, maybe a table...something to fill this corner and add some color. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
steffoxy
I think a secretary would be nice.
January 6, 2013 at 8:55AM   
judianna20
We need a couple more pictures, please. Is that a rug inside the fireplace?
January 6, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Virginia Dal_Bianco
NO fireplace it is a doorway going int another room! 17 ft ceiling -
January 6, 2013 at 9:07AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I, too, thought at first that we were looking down at a fireplace. What is the width of the wall where a secretary might go. It doesn't look big enough to me for one, but after thinking that the doorway was a fireplace, I know that I'd best check dimensions.
January 6, 2013 at 9:25AM   
PRO
Pamela Tripas
I have a space identical to this. I used the space as a reading nook. I put one pretty chair with a small table with a small but tall lamp on the table. On the floor, a basket/tote for my magazines and a couple of books. Turns out I use the space a lot more than I thought I would!
January 6, 2013 at 9:26AM   
decoenthusiaste
You might have room to pull off something like this in that corner.

January 6, 2013 at 9:30AM   
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Deco, Almost identical to what my space looks like! ;)
January 6, 2013 at 9:32AM   
PRO
SaCim Decor
Hi Frances, I designed this bamboo divider specifically for just such a place. I often see corners like yours with nothing in them and it can look abandoned.
January 6, 2013 at 9:36AM   
decoenthusiaste
Sweet, Pamela!
January 6, 2013 at 9:37AM   
francesgatti
There is 48" from light switch to other wall. I was thinking a secretary but it looks like we are going to put one elsewhere so maybe a glass front book case and chair. I have two chairs, lamp and end table in opposite corner and then tv viewing area around fireplace in same great room. It seems like something tall would look good there.
January 6, 2013 at 3:04PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
While a chair and small table would be fine here, I don't know how it relates to the other seating in the room. I suggest a modern bombe chest with a painting or mirror over it. It doesn't look like the light switches would interfere with a any of these items. Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Red Lacquer Bombe Chest Glamour Round Mirror David Hunt Kudu Modern Table Lamp, Black/Gold Finish with Black/Gold Shade
January 6, 2013 at 3:23PM     
PRO
Pamela Tripas
If a reading nook won't fit into your other seating arrangements, I would also suggest a large floor vase filled with twigs and bamboo with a small table in front on the diagonal. You can put an uplight in front of the twigs on the floor and a lamp on the table. Also place a trio of twig spheres on the table to add texture and continuity.
January 6, 2013 at 3:53PM   
claudiann
What about the table you have the Christmas tree on? It might look better there.
January 6, 2013 at 4:11PM     
claudiann
Ps I think you might need a bigger rug. Put the couch in it too. This one looks as if it leads into the wall.
January 6, 2013 at 4:13PM   
Darzy
I think the rounded wall you have the console (with tree) would work in the empty space, with a fab piece of art above. I don't think you need anything on the rounded wall/stair side.
January 6, 2013 at 5:26PM   
feeny
I'd love to see something like this in your corner--a small secretary desk with chair. Alternately, a console with a mirror or art above it would be lovely too.

January 6, 2013 at 5:31PM   
Darzy
I think this would be fabulous. A bar armoir..

January 6, 2013 at 5:34PM     
ManLand LandMan
Keep the space clear and clean!
January 6, 2013 at 5:36PM   
francesgatti
I put the table there as you suggested. I really enjoyed the lights in the home over the holidays and would like to put something on this table that has lights. The tree that is there now, although I took most of the ornaments off, still looks rather Christmasey. I am looking for a picture to hang here as well and will rearrange the other stuff on this table. Thank you for your suggestion. Can't believe I didn't think of it!
January 6, 2013 at 8:02PM   
francesgatti
Moving right along...
January 6, 2013 at 8:14PM     
jnroof20
I found some adorable reading lamps the other day at Target that actually give off quite a bit more light that I would have thought. http://www.target.com/p/threshold-buffet-lamp-with-cream-shade/-/A-12757268#prodSlot=large_1_14
They are thin enough that you can still put a candle holder or small vase of flowers by it. Or even stack up some books with a journal. I love console tables and I think they show personality but KEEP THEM CLEAR OF CLUTTER and dont try to do too much on them. Also, if you think it will be a drop location for things, prepare ahead and put a small basket or something. I can't tell if it would be by the front door or not.. But just a thought to avoid future frustration! You are getting there!
January 6, 2013 at 8:39PM   
judianna20
Console looks nice there. I suggest a lamp (or two), but with black shades to accentuate the wrought iron. Just make sure the shade is lined, so that when you turn it on it doesn't become gray. Also the light will shine up to your painting.

January 7, 2013 at 7:11AM     
francesgatti
I like that look. You have been so helpful. Thank you so much. Fran
January 7, 2013 at 7:17AM     
More Discussions
Roofing
Finally time to re-do the roof. Was wondering if black...
Pedestal sinks ??
For half bath are pedestal sinks out dated Or still...
Small master bathroom 8x6
Need some clean ideas on a 8x6 master bathroom in a...
How to make a cozy family room with high ceiling
We have a 2-story ceiling in the family room. We currently...
My living room needs a facelift
Please help. I've had this furniture for a very long...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.