Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
90s Colorado Home Exterior Overhall
ecseems
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I purchased this home because it is set in the ideal location. It backs up to a beautiful park and the foothills. The problem is...its a typical 90s Colorado design and that is far from our contemporary style. We live in a neighborhood without an HOA...so design shouldn't be an issue. Our question is...what ideas are out there so that we can incorporate our contemporary style without our neighbors being pissed that they live next to "that house"?

Pictures and links to photos of ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
Can you take some better/larger pictures? it would help with ideas.
Eliminating the Palladian window arches would help make it look more contemporary.
January 6, 2013 at 10:17AM   
ecseems
Thanks mmilos...good idea. Here are some better photos
January 6, 2013 at 10:33AM   
mmilos
I would also paint the house a very light cool gray color with white trim. Paint the deck black, remove the spindles and put in glass panels with stainless steel hardware.
January 6, 2013 at 10:41AM   
ecseems
front
January 6, 2013 at 10:44AM   
ecseems
That's helpful...thanks! I like the color choice...big fan of gray. I think we will do some new trex decking
January 6, 2013 at 10:48AM   
claudiann
Adding cultured stone to some of your areas that stick out would be pretty. Stone would be nice around the entry and the window over the garage.
January 6, 2013 at 11:50AM   
ecseems
Thanks claudiann...i like the stone idea
January 6, 2013 at 12:33PM   
PRO
Mishi McCoy
Color blocking the front of the house adds a quick contemporary feel...I would consider strong color with maybe two other lighter/different versions. If you were to do the garage portion a medium gray, with the garage door itself painted a steel, or charcoal gray, then the mid part of the house a dove gray, with strong color for the front door, and the left bump out maybe a blue. If you then paint the trim around the windows a strong color - or even a cream, it all begins to imply a more modern feel. Thnik about painting the house numbers off center and LARGE on the garage door itself.
One other thought: adding a concrete 'landing' right off the driveway adds another very contemporary feel to the approach - Have been looking for photos... can't find any! Here is my sketch... looks like the front may be stone?
January 6, 2013 at 12:47PM   
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
I like the idea of the landing from DD LLC. If guests park on the street you should consider an entrance path from the street. However, I live in California and I never have to shovel snow off of a path! The front yard is certainly large enough to accommodate a wide entry path from the street. Then you can add flower beds near the front door or all along the path. If you don't like to garden then an interesting ground cover to flank the pathway.
January 6, 2013 at 2:47PM   
rtist9
I like all your windows they are gorgeous. Dont change any of the arches or the color. As bad as times are right now people would love to have a beautiful home like yours.I would put to tall narrow vases anchoring your garage on both sides. Add flowers and/or palm trees in summer. It will be funny to see how many neighbors copycat you afterwards. Note for 2013 dont worry about what you neighbors think. Thats your house and no one elses. If someone doesn't like what ever you do, tell um to call me Rtist9 I will curse um out for you.I love tellin opinionated neighbors off! Hey tellum to pay their mortgage and get a life!
January 6, 2013 at 2:58PM   
ecseems
Defining Design...THANK YOU SO MUCH for the wonderful drawing...wow! I seriously can't believe you just threw that together. I really like the idea of the bold color blocking. I also like the addition of the concrete landing. It is needed. Right now it just feels like a tight driveway with little room. Thank you so much for your time on this...it is greatly appreciate...too bad your back east :-)
January 6, 2013 at 3:21PM   
ecseems
Pamela...I really like the idea of a path from the street...again I think it is something that is needed. The driveway is super tight...and we can barely walk past our vehicle...so it would be nice for our guests not to have to scrape snow off of our cars as they walk to our front door. Thanks! And I'm jealous of your no-shoveling!
January 6, 2013 at 3:23PM   
ecseems
rtist9...I appreciate you having our backs with our neighbors :-) I'll be sure to send them your way! I like the idea of anchoring the garage. However, I'm not sure if you would actually see them...again it's so tight and we have no room/concrete area to the right of the garage. I'll see what makes sense...because I like where you are going with it. Thanks!
January 6, 2013 at 3:25PM   
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Search Houzz 'Front Entrance' Landscape pictures and you will find hundreds of pictures of paths leading to the front door. I just added some of my favorites to my idea book titled 'Entrance'
January 6, 2013 at 7:24PM   
ecseems
Thanks Pamela...very helpful!
January 7, 2013 at 2:18PM