Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New office!
carmen seda
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are looking for some help remodeling our office space. We would like to open up the space and liven it up with some cabinets and shelving. We would love to transform our small space into an awesome new office..Please help us out with some ideas! We would love to hear from you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You def need a full built-in for that recess. Here's a great looking one.

January 6, 2013 at 2:38PM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with some built-ins. Here is an example of a more graphic, cheerful, and contemporary office space.

January 6, 2013 at 2:59PM   
Christine
Is that an open door by the window?

Anyway. Everything out. Buh Bye! Keep the wood trim and paint everything white or paint a brighter color and put a rich wallpaper on a feature wall. Then you need to address the lighting. You need to brighten the space up with brighter general lighting (I like George Nelson Lamps. They are not too expensive and if they are then hit Ikea for a similar knockoff). Rip out that rug and redo the wood floors. If the wood floors are in bad shape or if where you live is cold and you like a rug then go with a geometric print in a deeper color to hide stains.

Then you need to decide on how you want to organize. I personally don't like hanging too many shelves on the walls but you can go with some Ikea Expedit bookshelves. You can even buy a base that has pullout drawers (can't remember the ikea style) that you can use as file storage and then get a handyman to build and bulk up the book shelves and mount it to the file drawer lower portion. If you measure right you can get some really inexpensive units that go floor to ceiling. Ikea also sells matching wicker baskets and you can buy just a few to keep the office supplies that you don't use often but need quite a bit (post it's, staples, paper clips, mini-drives, cords, etc). Then your desk should be simple and clean lined. If you have a tendency to be a pack or paper rat then I would avoid buying any old style desk with tons of drawers. Just something that has a simpe set or trio of drawers across the botton of the surface.

Get a good task lamp (LED's can be pricey but they are good task lights and I don't think burn as hot as regular low volts).

Then buy the best chair you can. If you spend alot of time in your office then you need a chair that works. A Thomas Miller chair is pricey but worth the investment. Avoid those for shit chairs at a yard sale or if you have to go to Office D then buy the best one you can with some ergonomics built in (raise, lower, tilt, arm rests, lumbar and decently padded seats.

Find some simple window shades. Ones you can open easily to let light in (BTW, emotionally it is always best to work in natural light. It is shown to improve mood and productivity).

In that closet (if it is part of your space) configure it to hold shelving to put boxes of copier paper, file bins for any projects, checkbooks, software).

I would also advise you to invest in having a geek squad come in and make you all wireless. No cords or plugs running accross the space. Also be sure to position the computer facing the door. It is always good Feng Shui to see who is coming at you.

Have a blast.
January 6, 2013 at 5:55PM