Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for this room remodel!
hamptonurn
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with deciding what to do with this area. The entry door opens directly into the middle of the room. I want to place a gas fireplace in the room, but every wall has windows. I don't know where to start. Any ideas would really be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rtist9
First this room is beautiful. Its great that its not a formal living room and dining room. This is a designers dream room.Go to menards or lowes and get a corner fireplace and track lighting.If that is out of budget get a wallmounted fireplace for drama. To take charge of these windows put vertical blinds above windows to the floor.I would also take planks down to open up room even more. You will have cathedral ceilings meaning you can have a mall size christmas trees. It will be very dramatic. I would definetly have corner artwork and (2) 7ft floor mirrors flanking both doors so when door is shut, the look will be very dramatic. Add track lighting above bar area. I would also add sculptures wall art on those high walls around the room.Definetly get animal print barstools. If you play up the animalistic,log cabin,artistic feel this room has, it will be gorgeous!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:53PM
decoenthusiaste
The end with the pass through must be the dining area and the other end the living room. You can visually divide the room, putting the divider on the dining room side of the entry door. Or let the furniture provide a natural division with the help of area rugs to define the rooms. A dining rug must be 4' longer and wider than the table. You have room between the light switch and the window to install a divider, even if it only goes halfway across the room There even seems to be a beam above to which the top of it could be attached to help stabilize it. Search the box above for room divider under photos for more ideas.
Asbury Modern
Presidio Heights traditional
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 1:00PM
Darzy
You could do a small corner fireplace, or do a floating one right in the middlle!

1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 1:07PM
houssaon
There isn't a good shot of the fourth wall on the side with the opening. Is there another opening there? Can you upload another shot of that wall?

Based on what I can see, you could put a corner fireplace to the left of the door and float furniture around it.
Do you need a closet for the front door? If so you could add one on one side of the door and a pony wall on the other to create a foyer.

I would think about either opening up the area with the pass through or closing it off completely.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 1:10PM
hamptonurn
Thank you all for your feedback. I've posted more photos. My taste is contemporary, so I'm not such about a "cabin" feel to the room. Also, I already have a space for a formal dining room, so I don't need to divide the room (at least I don't think I do). I'm just confused, but thanks again for the advice!!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:22PM
ManLand LandMan
Faux beams! You will win back that space and make it classy again!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:32PM
ManLand LandMan
What you think Darzy?
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:32PM
Darzy
@ManLand..I think I'll pass on the faux beams. :)
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:41PM
Darzy
What will you be using the space for? Tv watching? How many do you want to seat?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:42PM
ManLand LandMan
Too much western country. I can see that.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:43PM
raynel
My question also, Darzy. Will there be a tv in this room and does it have enough space for two sitting areas?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:44PM
Darzy
You could do a modern FP in the corner...What is that juttying out in front of the pass through?

0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:49PM
hamptonurn
Here are pics of the pass through up close. There is a planter within the pass through. Behind the wall of the pass through are steps leading downstairs. Behind the steps is the dining room. It has no natural light, and I'm not crazy about the tuscan mural on the wall. I am opening the dining room wall that is next to the kitchen in hopes to expand the kitchen and add light somehow.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:51PM
hamptonurn
My taste is contemporary. I don't want tuscan style. I have no idea where to start with this house. But I do appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far. Any advice is appreciated to all who can help!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:59PM
Darzy
I'm confused. Is the stairwell on the other side of the "pass through"? That wouldn't be a pass through. : ) In one photo the planters are slanted green, and other they look square into the dining room. What is your lifestyle? Do you have family and pets? How many do you need to seat? Do you want to use the dining room as dining? Is there another living space or will this space be used for television?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:03PM
hamptonurn
Ok. The stairwell is on the other side of the "pass through". The planters project out toward the large family room area. My husband and I are empty nesters; our only child is in college. We like to entertain, so the more the merrier. I plan to drop the wall between the dining area and the kitchen to open the kitchen and give the dining area more natural light. I think ultimately I'd like to use this space as a kitchen and dining area. I am including a photo of the "pass through" walls. Thank you for your feedback Darzy.

Shirl
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:08PM
Manon Floreat
I saw this room and thought you might be able to incorporate a similar fireplace on your stair wall. Perhaps it'll give you some ideas to work with.

0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:56PM
hamptonurn
Thank you!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 5:19PM