Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Old, dated kitchen facelift
rosyflor
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just purchased a home and it needs some work. The kitchen is the original from the 70's. we won't be able to remodel the lichen for another couple of years; however we would like to paint the cabinets a darker color so that's its a little easier on the eyes for the time being. Any ideas that won't be so costly? Also, how can I decorate the back side if the cabinet over the counter. It faces the dining room and it looks a little plain.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
olldcan
Decorate it.... My first instinct was to remove that upper peninsula cabinetry and open up the space. Costs nothing to take it down!!!
January 6, 2013 at 1:23pm     
AMN
I agree with olldcan on removing the upper peninsula cabinetry. You'd remove them if you were going to rehab the kitchen anyway. The kitchen will be a much more pleasant place to be in with it removed.
January 6, 2013 at 1:32pm   
olldcan
Here's a link that would be helpful to you, enjoy!!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/242314/Gel-Stain-Kitchen-Cabinet-Makeover
January 6, 2013 at 1:32pm   
sandkshouse
Read through this discussion below for some good ideas on what to do with the cabinets. I totally agree with olldcan. I'd take the upper cabinets down. We did this at our previous house, and it totally opened up the kitchen. You might have to get creative with storage. For example, things you don't use regularly might have to go in the garage or basement.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/285063/Kitchen-with-too-much-Oak-
January 6, 2013 at 1:35pm   
mousemaker
i agree about removing the cupboards, although you might be giving up some storage space.
i do'nt think the color of the cabinets bothers me as much as what the floor seems to look like :) but it's not as bad as my floor was! it's not such a bad thing that you are waiting to do the kitchen because by the time you are ready, you will know exactly what you do and don't want probably more so than you do now because you will be more used to your house and how you use your kitchen.
January 6, 2013 at 1:37pm   
onthefence
I totally agree with removing the cabinetry over the peninsula.

As mentioned, you have a couple options regarding cabinet color - paint or stain. Perhaps take one of the doors off the cab you're going to remove and test both methods to see which you prefer? I happen to like stain better but everyone has a different preference.

Re: the back side of the peninsula, at the very least, I think it needs to be painted a darker color. Depending on how much effort and $ you want to commit here, maybe a tile or stone veneer over it? Much would depend on what is in the adjoining room.
January 6, 2013 at 1:43pm   
rtist9
Get updated stools with animal print on them. Next paint cabinets white and if you want lay a black or dark grey wood floor. Put shelves on outside facing us to showcase artwork. Whatever you do dont choose cheesy themes for a kitchen that might have a older look. Choose all modern items for your kitchen. No apples, strawberries,grapes,roosters,baker, winemakers, etc. Leave that for grandma's house ok!
January 6, 2013 at 1:45pm   
Darzy
I agree to remove the upper cabinets. If you paint the cabinets darker, the white appliances will really "stick out". How about painting the cabinets a light gray and update the hardware? The gray will look good with the tile, and the floor.

January 6, 2013 at 1:46pm