Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Still learning
rosploc
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help for creating this into a focal wall, thoughts ideas other pics?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would lengthen the curtain rod to the corner and likewise on other side and spread out the draperies. Next, I would purchase an armoire, not seeing the rest of the room and just looking at this pic, maybe in an off white. This would hide all your components and wires. I would then add a larger green plant (real or fake) between these pieces. Plan B..do same with drapes, but purchase a low console with storage for components (maybe height of current table) but certainly longer, center on space from moved drapery edge to rt. corner. Hang a large piece of colorful art over the TV set. Add the green plant.
January 6, 2013 at 2:34pm   
rosploc
Thanks Barbara, here is another picture of the room. I am still on the look for new furniture and a rug. The curtains an the crown molding are the only things in the room I plan to keep.
January 6, 2013 at 3:49pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a GREAT looking room. Again, fan out the drapery panels, in the bow area as well. Before replacing the sofas, find a great rug. Colorful, maybe a little larger to go up to the TV. Right now everything is very brown, so punch it up with a great rug. Replace your tables with glass and black metal, your old sofas may not look too bad. Replace them last.
January 6, 2013 at 4:05pm   
rosploc
I agree the room is very brown, which was one reason to replace the sofas, but also as we find they are too soft and the backs too short for comfortable tv watching. I was also looking for new wall colors, and deciding if I should remove the chair to make it a bit more modern.

I was initially thinking of adding a direct vent fireplace one more rectangular?
January 6, 2013 at 4:14pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I love the fireplace. What is the rest of your home decor like? Is it traditional, contemporary, eclectic...And I see this room flows directly to somewhere else..where is that and how is it decorated? And do you have a picture of it. I usually suggest choosing the paint color last, as there are thousands of shades but only a few fabrics, rugs, decor that you will like, so choose those things first,. It will be much easier to then select a paint color. I see a sofa & love seat, of what chair do you speak?
January 6, 2013 at 4:47pm   
rosploc
Thanks for all your questions and help!! The house style is transitional I think. The room coming from the staircase is the foyer. It has ceramic cream white tile and sherwin Williams chopsticks paint color on the walls. The chandelier is Crystal and Chrome the entry door is full glass with a beveled design. Mahogany colored stain with white trim.

The room at the other entrance is the dining room. This is a room in progress but has an oval dark oak table with a ladder back chair.

The chair I moved to take the picture it is a traditional glider from the early 90's. not planning on keeping it.
January 6, 2013 at 5:26pm   
rosploc
Sorry for the scaffold in the picture we still have painting to finish
January 6, 2013 at 5:29pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a grand foyer. I like the color SW chopsticks and I think it is a very good choice. Is that the color now in the TV room? If yes, I would keep it at this time as the room is quite small, and the color from the foyer/stairs area will make the room seem larger. Is this room the formal living room, I mean is there another den/family room area? I am assuming this is the main TV family area. As you like a transitional look, I would look for a lighter tone leather sofa (shades of cream or off white), this will also make the room seem larger. I would choose a more modern/contemporary one if possible. Add two comfortable transitional chairs Maybe with a curved back and partial wrap around arms,partially into the bay area with a table and great lamp between. If the sofa is leather, then these chairs should be fabric, maybe a small pattern, with the base color being black for a little drama. If you choose to have a fireplace and would want to mount the TV over it, you will have exposed wires and component issue. Also with the window on the same wall, it will be off to the side and I think look somewhat awkward. So I may reconsider this idea. Look for the rug, it should be the WOW in the room. Hope this helps. Check out this sofa look http://www.amazon.com/Samuel-Collection-Leather-Coaster-Furniture/dp/B00408LKQG
January 6, 2013 at 10:04pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Think about a rug like these http://www.lowes.com/pd_100376-102-9424-65006-120X156_0__?productId=3803045&Ntt=8x10+area+rug ...and...http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=176843-102-58110-58013-96X120&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3338662&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 If you keep the furniture neutral, place your "POP" in a rug and accessories. These can be changed easily and much cheaper than replacing furniture. These are 2 inexpensive rugs, have your sofa sit on it and then use the colors, teal, reds, etc. in stripes on large soft pillows on the sofa. Just a thought..
January 7, 2013 at 4:17pm   
rosploc
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for more thoughts this is really fantastic and my first time using houzz for a discussion.

The room color is more of an light dirty yellow tan color. I picked this 9 years ago and really feel it needs a new color. I was leaning towards a light green color, but SW chopsticks could be an option. I liked your idea from earlier to pick the paint color last.

This is technically the formal living room but for our purpose it is the family room as the traditional family room is the home of my husband's pool table.

I like your idea of the cream colored sofa. I am Learning that it is easier to color in walls and accessories than big furniture pieces. My first sofa was forest green, my second peanut butter. :). What about a black sofa? With cream background fabric for the chairs? Everyone loves the sofa today in our home so I was thinking black might Wear better. But your thought about the cream color helping make the space look bigger is something that I realized through this process I always feel like this room feels small and cramped.

I found this chair (both pics are the same chair) the one I found is on the left and i gravitated to the cream colored fabric with the writing.
January 7, 2013 at 5:55pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
You really need longer curtains. While the style of the ones you have is nice, they are much too short. They need to reach to the floor.
January 7, 2013 at 6:08pm   
rosploc
Thanks for the tip in the length of the curtains we struggled finding panels long enough to get this length. Does lowering the rod then look strange on the top?
January 7, 2013 at 6:17pm   
Karen Ehlers
Definitely hang the TV. Even get a bigger TV.
January 7, 2013 at 6:18pm   
rosploc
Here is a sofa we found that was comfortable for tv viewing
January 7, 2013 at 6:21pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
How long are the panels you bought? I like the height you have the rods now. Especially in the bay. My first choice would be new panels, longer. Buy ones too long and have them hemmed to floor length. 2nd, could you have the hem taken out? A proficient seamstress may be able to drop the hem the several inches you need and create a new hem. 3rd, add a band of fabric along the bottom--maybe 10 inches wide, that gives you the length you need, plus added design/pop of color. 4th, lower the rod.
January 7, 2013 at 6:44pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Regarding the draperies, I also feel they are too short. If they are a ready made, see if they also come in a darker color, black or expresso, even a caramel or camel color. Sew the bottom of the darker one the height of just-below the window sill, on to the lighter panels. I est. the hgt of the darker color to be approx. 15"-18". This is done quite a lot, is easy to do and looks as if it were done purposely rather than just lengthening too short drapes. Regarding the sofa, I think I would try to stay with a lighter color and use darker colors for the chairs. For the tables I would go with black/dark metal with glass rather than wood & glass.
January 7, 2013 at 7:45pm   
rosploc
Thanks Karen the tv is a 42" and with the room only 12' wide it feels like if we went with a bigger tv we be too close. Is there a general rule for this?
January 7, 2013 at 7:57pm   
Karen Ehlers
I have a 42" on a smaller wall so you could go up in size. Spend the money to have it professionally hung. They can make the wires disappear and it looks so great!
January 7, 2013 at 8:24pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Regarding the TV, the size of the TV on the size of the wall is not material, it should be about the size of the TV vs how close you are to it when watching. I would measure the TV from your sofa and then use that dimension away from different TV sizes in a store as a guide to the size for your room. You will have a better idea as what would work best for you. Also, I am not a fan of hanging a TV on a wall when there is an option of placing it on a cabinet. Hanging them on the wall makes me feel as if I am in a sports bar and not someone's home.
January 7, 2013 at 8:51pm   
rosploc
This was the only color available in this style of panel and they are 98" panels and I have already let them hem down. Will it look strange adding a band to the panel as the fabric has a vertical pattern
January 8, 2013 at 10:09am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
It makes it trickier to make it work, but it is possible. Can you take a close up?
January 8, 2013 at 11:13am   
rosploc
Here is a close up of the panel the repeat is 4 top to bottom and 3 runs horizontally
January 8, 2013 at 5:12pm   
rosploc
Last pic color was really bad. This is the product image from retailers site a little more bright white though the panel I think is more of a dirty white
January 8, 2013 at 5:26pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Cool pattern, definitely open the panels up to show that great design. Is the fabric a cotton? Poly? Silky? Are they lined?
January 8, 2013 at 6:22pm   
rosploc
100% cotton unlined
January 9, 2013 at 5:41am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
hmmm. How about dark gray or black? Did you buy that couch?
January 9, 2013 at 6:35am   
rosploc
No not yet we are still shopping around for style and comfort. We like Barbara's idea of going with more of a cream white color to help make the room feel larger
January 9, 2013 at 8:00am   
PRO
All About Home Electronics.com
Your home is beautiful! Given this is your formal living room why not consider a credenza, a motorized TV lift type, to house some of the electronics as well as the TV when its not in use? http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/tv-mounts/hulu.html

Some of the discussion ideas are of mounting the TV on the wall http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/how-to/hang-a-tv-on-a-wall.html

Judging from your other photo and the current distance separating your seating from your TV... the size of your TV is an appropriate, comfortable size. If you decided however to purchase a larger size TV, the low 50" range, it might strike you as too big at first but you'll quickly come to enjoy it and the larger size becomes more easily view-able from distances behind the seating area. ( a larger TV may prove to fill the wall space with better scale)
January 9, 2013 at 8:33am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
While you are looking for, hopefully a light cream or off white sofa, I suggest you also look for a rug that is large in pattern and room size at the same time. Remember you can always take home rugs just to try for color or scale. Also, I would look for the 2 chairs. I would put the bigger pattern on the rug and have the chairs a stripe of colors that may appeal to you. Fill in with pillows later. This will allow you to simply change the rug and pillows later on for a different look without a large expense. Regarding the draperies, I love the pattern you chose. I would still add a 15-18" panel on the bottom, but I would look for a fabric weight & sheen similar to the drapes, and the color I would choose would be the darker shade of the lines on the drapes if at all possible, or at least something close. If you are afraid to do this, buy a small amount of a possible fabric and simply pin a portion onto the bottom of one panel and you will be able to decide if this would work for you.
January 10, 2013 at 10:54am   
rosploc
As I was looking online for rug styles before I head out it occurred to me I am not certain how large of a rug I should look for? The room size without the bay is 12'9" x 13'2
January 10, 2013 at 7:34pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would consider 10 x 12 as it will be what unites the entire area. Bring one home in this size just to try the size. They are always returnable.
January 10, 2013 at 8:57pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You may actually purchase the rug you want online, but shop in a local store for your "trial" size rug.
January 10, 2013 at 8:59pm   
PRO
Sonshine Staging & Design, LLC
I prefer rugs larger than my seating elements by about a foot on each side of sofa arms, for instance. Generally I don't put an entire sofa on the rug; sometimes just the front third will be the best option. Width is dependent on whether you are headed for furniture or just purposeful floor covering. Many times I'll take a 4x6 to a client's home to confirm (or not!) that it has the colors and styling I'd propose. Then we roll out toilet paper so she can visualize that chosen pattern in a larger size and exactly how much of her wood, concrete, tile, etc would be hidden by the larger rug. Hauling around anything bigger than a 4x6 is not my favorite thing to do! Especially if I have to take it back!! After that, you can decide where to make your purchase.
January 10, 2013 at 9:31pm   
PRO
Sonshine Staging & Design, LLC
I'd be tempted to use your current TV stand as a sofa table paired with love seat. Top with one (or possibly two) dynamite lamps to take the eye upward in that bay area. Search for a full wall media center to hide the ugly that comes with electronics! Plus, it will afford you storage/organization.
January 10, 2013 at 9:36pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about these panels?
January 11, 2013 at 12:31am   
rosploc
Cheery curtains, that's for the suggestion however I think this is too yellow/gold in color which I am trying to move away from.
January 11, 2013 at 6:06pm   
rosploc
Kellyfourwinds that is a brilliant idea using the toilet paper to help see if the size of the rug works in the space, I was going to make the hubby buy and return a 10x12 rug. :)
January 11, 2013 at 6:12pm   
More Discussions
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Ideas
Anyone have advice what color schemes for bedding and...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
This is carpet color in style?
Trying to figure out a carpet color for the rumpus...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.