Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need desperate help with decorating
rhondagoodwin
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to remodel my entire downstairs by the end of the year. I am the one who decorated it when we first moved in and now I am stuck with panel on the lower half of my walls and I hate it. My downstairs is small and runs straight thru from front door to kitchen... Could someone please give me ideas on how to spruce it up, I am tired of this drab look
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rhondagoodwin
@ Groveraxle ... LOL I was at my nephews birthday party.
April 25, 2013 at 3:08AM   
rhondagoodwin
Oh yeah and the divider on the ceiling is gone also
April 25, 2013 at 3:09AM   
rhondagoodwin
And I really like that chair in the photo... Looks good sitting there
April 25, 2013 at 3:10AM   
njmomma
@Lynne Forrestal that is a good idea.

I have a half circle narrow cabinet under my flat screen that has draws, doors and shelves that fit all the t.v. components. Great find at Home Goods, very reasonable.

Very similar to the attached. Of course, if there is space availability.
April 25, 2013 at 3:26AM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, I'm not finding smaller chairs. However, I found some about the same size as that green floral at Target that are very affordable.

I've removed the ceiling beam, added a Target chair (and red vase because it needed something), and the thing I'm most excited about: I colorized the kids' pictures to more of a sepia tone to match the wall color.
April 25, 2013 at 7:18AM     
rhondagoodwin
Groveraxle how far from the ceiling should the TV be mounted?
April 26, 2013 at 3:43AM   
groveraxle
You're asking the wrong person on that one, Rhonda. I still have one old CRT TV that never gets turned on. LOL

Here is an excerpt from an article on TV placement (and the link):

Where to mount your TV
Ideally, the middle of your TV screen needs to be at about eye level while you're seated. You'll want to be comfortable while watching TV, and mounting it too high can result in neck strain. Plus, you'll probably see the best-looking picture when you view your TV head-on, rather than at an angle. If you opt for a higher placement, consider using a tilting wall mount to angle the TV down.

Screen glare
Sit in your favorite TV-watching spot and look at the place on the wall where you plan to mount your TV. Is there light reflecting off that area? If so, is it something fixable (by closing the curtains, or by moving a lamp)? Screen glare can be distracting, and detract from an otherwise beautiful picture, so be aware of potential sources of glare. A tilting or swiveling mount can also help you cut down on glare, by allowing you to angle the TV's screen away from the light source.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dww9lowCxn1/learn/learningcenter/home/flatpanel_install.html

The page above also has some suggestions for hiding the cables.

Here's another-- http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-20120053-221/how-high-should-i-put-my-tv-morrisons-mailbag/ --that says you should place the TV so the center of the screen is no higher than eye level when you're watching. It's actually better to look DOWN at the screen than up.

Oops, Rhonda, DH may have to move that thing.
April 26, 2013 at 6:49AM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, if you decide (and I hope you do) to get the grandkids' pictures printed in large format for that entry wall, here's something you need to know: the pictures need to be high resolution--basically the best quality setting on your camera. All the online printing places will tell you what the quality of your print is at different sizes. So a print that looks good at 12x12" might be too grainy at 24x24" if the resolution isn't high enough.
April 26, 2013 at 6:55AM     
Lynne Forrestal
I agree with tv placement, If it needs to be SLIGHTLY higher than eye level that will work too. We have ours over a fireplace, and since we lay down most of the time to watch, our necks are supported, but when we are sitting, neck strain doesn't take long to set in. Not as low as the old consoles we used to have though, I also would take into consideration if little kids are walking around, slightly higher than their heads so , 1 they don't play with it but also so they don't in the way of the "game or movie" others may be watching LOL.
April 26, 2013 at 7:02AM     
Lynne Forrestal
A quick selfish request, if anyone in their searchs , run into white panels, tab top or gromet top with a texture, but not sheer for my patio door I'd really appreciate the link.. or website. I've been looking and can't find. was thinking of a valance to match them too ( which makes it even harder) thanks I won't impose any more about this here on Rhonda's ... my discussion is at : http://www.houzz.com/discussions/410218/Need-help-decorating-my-new-kitchen----help-
April 26, 2013 at 7:08AM   
nikitasmom
We have ours mounted over the fireplace. 55' from the floor and about 11 feet from sofa which is directly across from it and the approximate widthe of the room. We do have to look up from the sofa and I don't find it uncomfortable or get neck aches watching that way. So, I took a moment to test the difference and eye level wins for comfort. If I had known about Houzz when we hung it I might have done it differently but then again we have an odd house with step up and down rooms. The family room is lowered. the kitchen higher, and the breakfast/laptop bar faces the tv. Our choice was to look up or to look sideways.
April 26, 2013 at 7:39AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@Lynne: did you see that link I had to the Ikea panels? It says they provide privacy but let light in. They might work for you, too, and they're only $10/PAIR!

@Rhonda re: TV height - 36" above the floor to the bottom of the TV is good. That usually accommodates most viewers. You could go higher - as nikitasmom says, many people have them mounted over the fireplace - but eye level is the best and easiest-to-watch level.
April 26, 2013 at 8:45AM     
to8to
Love this
April 27, 2013 at 1:57AM   
groveraxle
Almost half a day without a comment. Can't have that. How about some chairs for the living room?
April 27, 2013 at 1:22PM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, when do you expect to receive your DR set and sofa?
April 27, 2013 at 1:31PM   
rhondagoodwin
Just waiting till all the spackling and painting is done...
April 27, 2013 at 2:21PM     
rhondagoodwin
I really like the first chair... The petals. Kind of resemble the floor cloth
April 27, 2013 at 2:22PM     
rhondagoodwin
I was selling at the flea market today, that's why I haven't been on. No I didn't buy anything, well okay the Mr. Got a belt, I got perfume and my son got a two for one watch deal... One for him and one for me.
April 27, 2013 at 2:30PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
That sounds like fun, Rhonda!!! I've hit a few rummage sales, now that the "season" has started lol!
April 27, 2013 at 3:54PM   
furrytoes
Any chance you might post a few "under construction" photos?
April 27, 2013 at 5:30PM     
suzanne_m
You're right Rhonda, I haven't notice how close the petals of the chair looks a lot alike the petals on the floor cloth. I also like the chair with the gray and orange leaves, it goes very well with the bird frame. I can't wait to see it all together!
April 27, 2013 at 5:39PM   
rhondagoodwin
Furrytoes everything has slowed down a little... Meaning my men, so the only thing they have done this far is the ceiling which use to be textured because of all the defects in it.
I did change the island countertop though... The other one had scratches all in it when they delivered it and the granite wasn't sealed right, so we got a quartz white galaxy, which is whiter than the last one.
Here are pic tires of the ceiling and the new island counter top... Sorry I don't have more to show you right now.
April 27, 2013 at 5:53PM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, your cabinets looks beautiful! Thanks for the pics.

I also noticed the petal chair echoes the floorcloth pattern. You can see it more in this photoshop with the dining room in the background:
April 27, 2013 at 6:05PM     
lr9690
I want to redo my bed room I need dancer bright color ideas for a tween
April 27, 2013 at 6:08PM   
groveraxle
I almost hate to suggest this, and would like Kathryn, the space planner, to weigh in here, but it would be great to clear your counters. Is there someplace--maybe even the corner of the dining room--to put something like a baker's rack to hold your coffee maker and paper towel holder and other stuff that you want available all the time? I'm not a big fan of baker's racks, but sometimes they can be useful and I think this might be one of those times.
http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-®-Scout-Scrolled-Bakers-Rack-DTO2190-UT1984.html
Overall dimensions: 69" H x 19.25" W x 12.25" D
April 27, 2013 at 6:22PM   
rhondagoodwin
I would love to have empty counters and did have my coffee maker on the other side out of view, but dear hubby who hates change wanted it back where it was to start.
April 27, 2013 at 6:47PM     
rhondagoodwin
I know it still looks a little cluttered but we are still in the process of finding a place for everything that doesn't have to be out all the time.
April 27, 2013 at 6:48PM     
oneofeleven
Rhonda, have you perused Ikea lately? They have so many ingenious tools for organizing. Paper towels could be hung under the cupboards or from an Ikea rod.
April 27, 2013 at 7:14PM     
oneofeleven
this is too large for your kitchen but it might give you some ideas for your coffee pot. I've pinned it for myself for my "future" kitchen
April 27, 2013 at 7:22PM     
jayapple21
Rhonda, I love your new quartz island top. The light color brightens up that end of your first floor and quartz is said to be strong and easy maintenance. I think you'll like it more than the original top that you replaced.

I also like the clever hooks-over-the-cabinet-doors you found for holding a dish towel (lime green!) and what looks like a red lid. I haven't seen these hooks before and they are a clever way to NOT mark up your beautiful new cabinets. If you notice any sign that they are rubbing on the cabinet - and leaving any kind of mark - I suggest that you get a package of those circular felt pads that go on chair legs to prevent scratches on the floor and stick a disc on the back of each vertical metal arm so that part doesn't rub the cabinet. You can cut these in half if they are too wide. I had to do that with an over-the-door towel rack.

As for the coffee maker, it seems to me that Mr. G - who doesn't like change - has been a real sweetheart to help you make so many changes in order to have the house that you've dreamed about. I'm guessing that he really enjoys his coffee from that coffee maker, and he likes having it where it's always been. That coffee maker is an important part of the kitchen to him and it's fine where it is for now. You know that old saying, "choose your battles". You are doing an amazing job of navigating a huge home renovation. And it's really looking good!
April 27, 2013 at 9:16PM     
oneofeleven
this type of armchair looks comfy and the wire legs keep the space around it open and airy
April 27, 2013 at 10:21PM   
groveraxle
Nice chair, oneofeleven. It ought to be though since it's $1,682.00 in the cheapest fabric. LOL
April 28, 2013 at 7:21AM   
April 28, 2013 at 7:45AM     
April 28, 2013 at 7:51AM     
oneofeleven
I like the red one. I never bothered to check the price as I was only putting it out there for inspiration. Of course that's always the way isn't it. The thing you love turns out to be waaaaaay out of reach.
April 28, 2013 at 2:13PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Rhonda, I happened to see these voile curtains at Big Lots for $7 each - actually more $$$ than the Ikea ones! However, they are hemmed to 84" and they are 51"w, so they might be easier than the Ikea, although maybe not quite as "clean" looking. They have a rod pocket at the top but they should be hung on a rod with rings. ( BTW, curtains should be 1 1/2 to 2 times the width of the window). http://www.biglots.com/p/c/window-treatments/crushed-voile-panel
April 28, 2013 at 7:01PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
These would work, too, but they are $12/panel and it doesn't say what the size is. They are heavier - dont' know that that would look as good. http://www.biglots.com/p/c/window-treatments/montego-grommetted-panels
April 28, 2013 at 7:05PM   
groveraxle
Kathryn, that is brilliant! I hate the bunchy look you get with rod pockets, but it never occurred to me that you could just hang them on rings with clips. Duh. ;-)
April 28, 2013 at 7:18PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Lol, G.A. I'll take brilliant however I can get it haha!
April 28, 2013 at 7:27PM     
rhondagoodwin
If they are to go from ceiling to floor I think I need longer ones
April 29, 2013 at 3:33AM   
groveraxle
All of Ikea's drapes seem to be 96" long.

Here's an alternative: plain unbleached muslin. Have your cousin hem panels to the appropriate lengths and hang them with clips. If I've done my math right, you need four panels total (two for the front window, two for the entry wall window), at 96" each, you would need 32 ft. plus hem allowances or a bit more than 11 yards. 60" wide unbleached muslin is about $5/yd.

So look at Ikea first. Their drapes are actually cheaper than you can make them. Way cheaper; these sheers are $4.99: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90111980/ (How do they do that?)
April 29, 2013 at 4:23AM   
Lynne Forrestal
IKEA, this is what I ordered, seems they may be heavier than sheers but still light, and at 9.99 for a PAIR and the longer length too... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00221539/
April 29, 2013 at 4:44AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Lynne, did you get them yet? I'll be interested to hear what you think, and so will Rhonda, I'll bet! :-) Yes, those sounded like a very good material for light yet privacy.
April 29, 2013 at 5:45AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I didn't see your earlier post, Rhonda. They don't have to go ALL the way to the ceiling, but the higher you hang them, the taller the room seems. This seems to be a pretty good explanation: http://www.womansday.com/home/decorating-ideas/how-to-hang-curtains
April 29, 2013 at 5:49AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hey, I meant to ask: how did you do at the flea market?
April 29, 2013 at 5:50AM     
Lynne Forrestal
Kathryn, I haven't received them yet, will definitely report when I do :), my orders says estimated delivery is May7, hope the come early!
April 29, 2013 at 6:05AM   
rhondagoodwin
Kathryn... Because we came home with a couple empty totes I was excited. If we didn't have to rent a truck we would have ended up with more of a profit, but I was selling my stuff for like 2 or 3 dollars, I figured getting a dollar for something was better than throwing it away. And I got my tan started so it was worth the time for me.
We still have more stuff to sell, but I want to wait till he gets the flooring out of the truck so we don't have to rent one. I was shocked that it cost $55.00 to get a spot at the flea market.
The last time I had sold at a flea market it was only $20, I guess inflation hit the flea market too.
April 29, 2013 at 4:35PM     
jayapple21
Rhonda, do you have Craigslist where you live? With one of your guys at home (for safety) maybe you can move some of your things on a weekend without having to pay that big flea market rental fee.
April 29, 2013 at 4:58PM     
groveraxle
Good idea, jay. There's a craigslist everywhere: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/
April 29, 2013 at 5:25PM     
rhondagoodwin
Jayapple21... I tried that with my Wilton character shaped pans and some other things and never got a response from anyone... I have tried craigslist a few times with no luck.
April 29, 2013 at 5:51PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I know what you mean about prices! I decided that since it was almost summer I was going to get some new nail polish. Who knew that nail polish is now $8????!!!! OK, to be fair, some was about $4 on sale, but I decided to be cheap and use whatever I had. The price on my bottle at home was $2.49 - but it still works! Guess that must have been from the turn of the century lol
April 29, 2013 at 6:17PM     
nikitasmom
With craigslist you may have to check your spam folder. I know of several people who thought they weren't getting replies when in reality the emails were going into the spam folder.
I hear ya Kathryn. I thought it would be nice to get a few new bright colors for my tootsies but when I saw the prices I decided to use up what I had first.
April 29, 2013 at 6:30PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have had the same experience with other sites like Freecycle, too. Anything that you can't sell but don't want to throw away can be recycled through Freecycle. I'm sure there will be a bunch of different ones in Philly because they are by area/community. I use it all the time to recycle things: all my design magazines go to a h.s. design class, I offer my plants when I divide them, household stuff I don't need (I offered the glass turntable from my dead microwave and a woman who lives about 5 miles away came and got it because she had just broken hers!), etc. You can also ask for stuff you might need. Normally people just select who gets the item from whoever responds and you can leave it out on your porch or wherever and they come and pick it up. It's a great way to get rid of stuff if it's not worth the hassle of selling it. http://www.freecycle.org/
April 29, 2013 at 6:43PM     
jayapple21
Do you have anyone who runs a used furniture "treasure" shop in your locale? I was thrilled to sell my daughter's old bedroom furniture - which originally came from Goodwill and we had painted it white - to a lady who has such a shop where she likes to sell real wood furniture. She and her daughter came with a pickup truck and we loaded the truck, she wrote me a check, and off they went.
April 29, 2013 at 7:09PM     
oneofeleven
Yard sale season is just about here.
April 29, 2013 at 8:23PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I went to a "season opener" last Saturday! lol
April 29, 2013 at 8:30PM     
rhondagoodwin
I know you all hate to hear when I have already bought something, and i know i said no more purchasing untill the house was complete, but i really , really liked this chair and I kept checking on the chair from overstock.com and the quantity kept going down everyday, sooooooo I really liked it and found a coupon and got it for $208.00 so I ordered it. So accent chair is on order.
April 30, 2013 at 3:55AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that chair will look great!
April 30, 2013 at 5:31AM     
groveraxle
I love the chair, Rhonda, and I'm glad you got it--especially for such a fabulous price! I think it's going to be very comfy and look wonderful in the space. Now, how about we refurbish one of your old tables to put next to it? (I say "we" like I'm gonna be the one to get my hands dirty, LOL.) You know what might be fun? A high gloss paint on one of the small tables. I'll get on it later today.
April 30, 2013 at 5:59AM     
jayapple21
That's been my favorite all along, too. Sometimes you just know when something seems right and when something doesn't work (you switched out your island counter top).
April 30, 2013 at 6:43AM     
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
Love the chair, where can I buy this chair?
April 30, 2013 at 7:19AM   
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
Thank you so much, I will start looking!
April 30, 2013 at 8:01AM   
amafixer
Love your new chair. I have been following your "journey" from the beginning. It has been interesting and informative. I admire all the work you & your husband & son have done. Your home will not simply be redecorated but reformed.
April 30, 2013 at 11:34AM     
groveraxle
On sale at West Elm. $129. Wish I needed one. Perfect height for your new chair.
April 30, 2013 at 2:36PM   
Ed
Wow, 2,780 replies! :)
April 30, 2013 at 4:16PM     
rhondagoodwin
Groveraxle, I ordered the chair from overstock,I found a promo code and got $36 off. :)
And when I called to order my backsplash I asked her if I could get a better price, she asked if she could call me back and when she did she gave me 25% off so instead of paying $622 for 30 square feet I am only paying $494
I always look for promo codes before ordering online.
April 30, 2013 at 5:59PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
You should start a shopping blog, Rhonda!
April 30, 2013 at 6:03PM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, you amaze me! I wouldn't have even thought to ask for a better price. You've saved a couple hundred dollars in a day. Pretty good wages, I'd say.
April 30, 2013 at 6:33PM     
rhondagoodwin
Well I was reading a review and someone mentioned asking for 20% off, so I thought it would be worth a shot.
I am just glad I didn't ask for 20% and instead asked for a better price, because she gave me 25% off
April 30, 2013 at 8:11PM     
Dana Veach
Good work!!!
April 30, 2013 at 10:55PM     
pegjustpeg
Where is everyone? Am I missing something? Need my Rhonda fix! Ok, I'll be patient. (for a while!) lol
May 3, 2013 at 5:35AM     
groveraxle
I'm missing my Rhonda too. Rhonda, how about an update? We know you've ordered the chair and the backsplash tile. Are you still painting? Let us know where you are now, and what comes next.
May 3, 2013 at 6:35AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think we're waiting for the big reveal!!!!
May 3, 2013 at 6:49AM     
rhondagoodwin
Sorry everyone, like I said before they have slowed. Down emencly, I am home tomorrow so I can get them moving again. If I am not here they don't do anything... MEN!
Nothing more has been done but the ceiling. And that isn't even painted yet.
I know what you mean though, I come home from work everyday and check my post.
I will definately let everyone know when things start to progress again.
May 3, 2013 at 12:10PM     
nailbags2u
Yes, this is an easy fix. Paint, Paint, Paint. I just finish a room with the same kind of paneling. Kilz it first and the paint it. Black interior door, give a very elegant look with white trim and both will match any color you select for your walls and furniture. Good Luck.
May 3, 2013 at 12:43PM   
Chrissy McCleery
First take everything off the walls, remove drapes, furniture and knock knacks.
May 3, 2013 at 12:55PM   
Chrissy McCleery
I would paint all walls, paneling, door,bannister, an off white. Take curtains off windows and just go with existing shades..before you decide on color. Place swatches next to green carpet. Ask the paint salesperson which off whites have the color green in them..he will know what you are talking about.
May 3, 2013 at 12:59PM   
pegjustpeg
That's what I'm talkin' about! LOLOLOLOL
May 3, 2013 at 1:42PM     
vacox
Oh YEAH!!! You and me both, Peginvalpo....
May 3, 2013 at 1:46PM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, can you show your husband and son all our last comments .. how desperate, us Houzzers, are waiting for progress :( Maybe it will encourage them to work some more :)
May 3, 2013 at 1:51PM     
oneofeleven
Earth to Chrissy and Nailbag2U! Please spend a little bit of time to read past comments. This project has been months in the making and is almost complete.
May 3, 2013 at 2:30PM   
nailbags2u
Back to earth now, so let's see the progress.....pictures plz.
May 3, 2013 at 2:51PM     
oneofeleven
Glad you're back. Rhonda has posted pics of all the work that has been done,(the kitchen) she has also posted pics of her furniture purchases, unfortunalety there are so many posts you have to work at it to find them. Go to Rhonda' idea books, I think there are pics there.
May 3, 2013 at 3:35PM     
groveraxle
I have compiled an ideabook with photoshops that have already been posted of what work has either been done or is planned. Hope this link works. Here it is:
May 3, 2013 at 6:33PM     
donnasd
Have been reading this post for months. I'm having a really hard time locating it now. Hope this comment helps me find you all again!
May 6, 2013 at 9:25PM   
jabbott2012
Donnasd.....bookmark the post by clicking on the bookmark link under Rhonda's original picture. Then you can access the page under "my houzz"
May 7, 2013 at 10:41AM     
donnasd
Thanks jabbott2012. This really does help!
May 7, 2013 at 11:53AM   
groveraxle
Rhonda, any updates? Photos? Or are you guys just too pooped and taking a vacation?

Some of us are suffering withdrawal here. I need to be doing something: photoshopping your grandkids' photos or searching for cafe curtains...something...anything....HELP ME...
May 7, 2013 at 6:44PM     
oneofeleven
@ga, there are hundreds of other posters out there that would love your help. I think you need to find one or two more interesting threads now before Rhonda' s finishes up, it will help lessen the withdrawal symptoms :)
May 7, 2013 at 6:55PM     
studio10001
Not sure if that is the cure, or a recipe for multiple addictions :))
May 7, 2013 at 6:59PM     
suzanne_m
I have an idea ... maybe we can all go to Rhonda's house and bring our paint brushes to help them then we can be on the spot to place all the furniture and the wall arts in any way we can think of :)
May 7, 2013 at 10:32PM   
rhondagoodwin
You all crack me up... He is now fixing the walls in my dining room. When he took the paneling down the lathe under it showed its age and crumbled at a touch. Since it is just him and I now doing this project he wants to do all patch work and spackling in both living room and dining room before doing anymore painting.
May 8, 2013 at 4:16AM     
groveraxle
May 8, 2013 at 7:18AM     
Dana Veach
Too funny, G.A.!!
May 8, 2013 at 10:56AM   
oneofeleven
I couldn't remember if you already had your tiles ordered Rhonda, but I found these and thought I'd throw it our your way

May 8, 2013 at 1:32PM   
rhondagoodwin
Yes Oneofeleven I have ordered my tiles, but thanks for continuing to look.
I am waiting as patiently as you all for things to progress.
May 8, 2013 at 2:36PM     
rhondagoodwin
What. Do you all think about these tables, maybe stacked in some way next to the stair side of the sectional? Maybe? Look at all the photos on the site it shows them stacked. http://www.wayfair.com/Ave-Six-Slick-End-Table-SLK36-AVS1048.html
May 8, 2013 at 3:04PM     
suzanne_m
I like it very much Rhonda!
May 8, 2013 at 3:07PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think they very fun and cool ! Perfect for your room. What colors do you like? or are you going to mix them as shown ? either way FUN
May 8, 2013 at 4:45PM     
suzanne_m
g.a. you have something to photoshop!!! Yes!!!!
May 8, 2013 at 4:54PM     
rhondagoodwin
Not sure, I was thinking mixing... Hopefully this will give Groveraxle something to do for awhile... LOL
May 8, 2013 at 4:56PM     
amafixer
Fun tables!
May 8, 2013 at 6:12PM   
groveraxle
Thanks, Rhonda. I threw in a lamp because the corner was a bit bare.
May 8, 2013 at 7:09PM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, you could insert a pet cushion inside the table. I am sure your dog would love his onw house.
May 8, 2013 at 8:46PM     
Dana Veach
Those tables are really fun, Rhonda...good choice!
May 8, 2013 at 10:36PM   
rhondagoodwin
I think those might work
May 9, 2013 at 3:22AM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, just in case you want to order them, I want to make sure that you remember that they are the same size. So even if you order the same 2 tables g.a. photoshop, they won't make the same effect in your living room because the ones g.a. drew are not the same size.
May 9, 2013 at 3:52AM   
rhondagoodwin
I could always get three and stack the two for a smaller lamp
May 9, 2013 at 4:01AM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, I like very much those tables and I would love if you get them but what I even love more is that you don't get any surprises. I wonder if you can stack them and have a lamp on top of it because the 2 tables will be 30 in. high in total which is the standard height for a dining table. Houzzers, what do you think? Can Rhonda stack 2 tables, put a lamp on it, have them a bit at the back then add a third one in front where she could put a drink and/or a book? I hope it works because I would really like Rhonda to get these tables. If not, can she buy 2: one for beside the sofa and the other beside the chair?
May 9, 2013 at 4:30AM     
groveraxle
Here are the dimensions of the colored tables: 17" H x 15" W x 15" D. I have redone the graphics to try to make them more to scale. (And actually, suzanne, they are almost exactly the same size in the photoshop above, which actually may be the problem since the one in back should look smaller.)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on these tables: I like the colors and think they're fun. However, they are a bit small for end tables, they will not be suitable as extra seats (weight limit = 75 lbs), and by the time you buy two or three, they're pricey at $90 apiece.

I still like the idea of a bench at that end of the sectional.
May 9, 2013 at 7:23AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@suzanne: good point. 30" (2 stacked tables) is too high for an end table, and 15" is low (more coffee table height) I really like these little tables, but, personally, I think it's one more thing to hold off on until you get the sectional and coffee table in the room and more of a feel for what you want.
May 9, 2013 at 7:28AM     
groveraxle
On further reflection (and also upon adding the coffee table to the pic), I don't like the wood bench with the coffee table. Too much wood. I prefer an upholstered bench. A tray could be used on the end for drinks and such.
May 9, 2013 at 7:39AM     
suzanne_m
I agree with g.a. I prefer an upholstered bench. I don't have time right now to look for one but I think a bench with a fabric that has some red on it would look nicer than just white and green.
May 9, 2013 at 11:17AM   
suzanne_m
Do you think this side table would be nice beside Rhonda's chair. It is 16.25 in. high.
http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-%C2%AE-Rawlins-End-Table-XG2177-UT2803.html
May 9, 2013 at 3:30PM   
suzanne_m
I was thinking the chair in green:
May 9, 2013 at 3:32PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I love the table above , I own one in black, right now I flipped it over and it's a plant stand. lol I have also used it with a glass top and made it a bit bigger. This would be good next to the chair but to small next to the sectional with a table lamp. The do have step tables that would work nice at the end of the sectional. I feel the coffee table with the benches is one enough for the room. But I agree with KP wait !
May 9, 2013 at 4:38PM   
rhondagoodwin
M not buying yet just looking, thanks for the input, and I too like the green one suzanne_m
May 9, 2013 at 5:39PM     
suzanne_m
Kevin, I am just wondering ... is 16.25 in height too low for a side table? Also, I am sorry I had made a mistake with Rhonda''s cubic tables, they are 17 in. high not 15 in. So I guess if Kevin tells me that 16.25 in. is good enough for a side table then the one that Rhonda found would also be good. We know she can't stack them (it would be 34 in. high) and plus it would not be stable if someone knock them then here's goes the lamp. But it would work if Rhonda chooses to put only one (let's say by the chair then have a bench by the sofa). Personally, I think I prefer the wired green one beside the chair because it is cheaper and also it kind of speak to the blinds with the lines the wires make.
May 9, 2013 at 8:29PM     
PRO
Interior Analysis
Painpaint the paneling . I think if you painted it a gray which is a neutral would purk up the space
May 9, 2013 at 8:39PM   
oneofeleven
@Interior Analysis, you are kidding I hope. Try looking at the original post and note the number of comments on this site.
May 9, 2013 at 8:52PM   
Dana Veach
Aargh!
May 9, 2013 at 8:54PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think a side table can be OK even if low but not with a lamp on it. Rhonda already is going to use a floor lamp on one side I think. So a wall lamp or sconce could work with the 171/2 inch tall table.
May 9, 2013 at 9:14PM   
suzanne_m
Thanks Kevin. If Rhonda puts nothing on the table and no wall lamp or sconce above, will it look too low or too tiny? The dimensions of Rhonda's chair are:
Seat: 20" H x 19.5" W x 20" D
Chair: 33.5" H x 33" W x 29" D
The table dimensions are: 16.25" H x 12.75" W x 12.75" D
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Portfolio-Seth-Green-Modern-Floral-Curved-Back-Arm-Chair/7877067/product.html
May 9, 2013 at 9:25PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
These cubes are less than15"s square and 3 of these two stacked for a lamp are really cheap at wayfair.com to create a L shaped sort of feel I think these were under $40. each comes in several finishes. Then use the wire table next to the chair. But again I would wait on the tables next to the sectional since space is tight. I just feel a upholstered bench next to the sectional is to redundant with the coffee table with built in benches. I would like to see a table lamp in that corner. So maybe a wood bench the right height could work so you could place a lamp on it.
May 9, 2013 at 9:25PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
For the occasional chair I think all you need is a small table for a drink, because there is also a TV and stand wall mounted there and I wouldn't want that area to get to busy.
May 9, 2013 at 9:28PM     
suzanne_m
I agree with you Kevin that it is better to keep that area simple. However, because the table is 3.75" below the height of the seat, I think it is too small. I went and checked the review on that table, everyone loves it but find it is either not wide enough or not tall enough. I guess I would pass on it though I have found the same table in a bigger size in black only at $80. http://homedecoreveryday.com/accent-cocktail-end-tables/lspiral-accent-table-black-18.5-inch
I think that size would have been perfect (18.5" H x 14.75" W x 14.75" D)
May 9, 2013 at 9:44PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Same table nearly my measures 18.5 inches tall and worked great next to my chair.
May 9, 2013 at 9:56PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
A small table next to the chair shouldn't be an issue, but I DO think that whatever goes next to the sectional should be higher. Somewhere, back a long time ago, when this discussion took place the first time, I had posted the arm height of the couch. That is the height that is important because that table will get a lot of use and you want it to be close to the arm height to make it convenient for setting a drink, etc. plus it should look in scale to the couch. I don't have time right now to go back and find it, but I think that dimension needs to be considered (plus, it's a fairly wide arm, I think)
May 10, 2013 at 6:10AM   
groveraxle
Since Rhonda has agreed not to buy anything else till the furniture is in, we have plenty of time to look. Then she can actually measure the arms of the sofa and chair and the height question will be answered.

However, if we are just going to point her to plain wood box-shaped tables, she has plenty of those already. If she hasn't sold them yet, I say she should use tables she has until the PERFECT one comes along. What would be perfect? The right height, the right price, and something Rhonda loves. I suspect it will be something more interesting than a wooden box.
May 10, 2013 at 6:55AM     
groveraxle
Two affordable tables that are not boxes. The leaf is $60, the bird $50, both from Pier1. One thing I like about them is they don't contribute to overdosing on wood in the room. One thing I don't like: they may not be quite substantial enough to compete with the large furniture in the room. Both are 24" tall.
May 10, 2013 at 7:18AM     
groveraxle
Entry wall with chair and bird table
May 10, 2013 at 7:27AM   
suzanne_m
Kathryn, when look at g.a. image above, I tend to say that the table that will go with the green chair should be 24 in. high because the chair has arms. In your opinion what could be the lowest table that would work there? This would allow me to have the fun looking for suggestions for the right size tables that would work there?

g.a. Hope Rhonda's cat won't jump on table's bird :)
May 10, 2013 at 1:26PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Typically, you want the end table to be very close in height to the arm of the chair/couch, but not above it. I think for this chair a little more leeway can be given because this will be truly and "occasional" chair. I would think, though, that 18" is the lowest that would work. Does someone have the actual arm height of this chair?
May 10, 2013 at 1:47PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I found the couch arm height: 26.5"
May 10, 2013 at 1:54PM   
suzanne_m
Thank you, Kathryn.
May 10, 2013 at 2:12PM   
groveraxle
Okay, I finally took Mr. G's shirt off the banister and hung it in the closet. Now I just have to say...if loving this table is wrong, I don't wanna be right...
May 11, 2013 at 6:31PM     
studio10001
My favourite thing today!!!!!( I am so making one of those)
May 11, 2013 at 6:41PM     
May 11, 2013 at 6:42PM   
groveraxle
You're so funny, studio 10001. I'm thinking I could use one in my own entry. I don't imagine it will find favor with Mr. G. though.
May 11, 2013 at 6:44PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I personally think the shoes are too casual for the room. I would have to go with a spectator...
May 11, 2013 at 6:46PM     
jayapple21
Or for a touch of red, how about Dorothy's "ruby slippers" ??? ☺
May 11, 2013 at 7:00PM     
studio10001
A friend gave me an incredible pair of shoes - in the wrong size - just because she knew I would love the design, and couldn't stop herself. Thank you Groveraxle, I can at last wear them in the living room!!!
May 11, 2013 at 7:04PM     
groveraxle
OMG, Kathryn, you made me LOL!!!
May 11, 2013 at 7:05PM   
groveraxle
Better?
May 11, 2013 at 7:26PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Now when Rhonda gives the room a white-glove test, she'll have the shoes to go with it. I think she'll have to wear pearls while cleaning though, to complete the ensemble.
May 11, 2013 at 7:34PM     
achelous
I think the place has good bones. I would slowly make changes according to budget. Start by removing light-fan use floor lamps to add height to room. Remove the thin moulding along ceiling and wall so won't detract from the wonderful doors and windows, use roman raffia shades instead of rods and curtain panels. Buy frames like at costco and fit all pics into them and select only a couple of walls to hang them. Use a lighter creamier color for the wall and leave the paneling alone, it's 70's but can look elegant! Matching wing chairs instead of those would give the room a classic vibe and you can follow later with claw foot (queen Anne) pieces, pretty and easy, inexpensive to find. Put tv in lower table away from window or door. Replace the electric switches, plates with modern ones. A feather throw for the cat so it's nap adds to decor :-)
May 11, 2013 at 7:52PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
...and then add the spectators.
May 11, 2013 at 7:58PM     
achelous
I stay away from trendy pieces because, just like the 70's oak light switches, they date quickly. I prefer art or accessories along with arrangement of furniture to make a place look current
May 11, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I call those shoes come and get it shoes. LOL Nothing beats a pump heal on a lady.
May 11, 2013 at 8:06PM   
oneofeleven
Someone is seriously missing the point Miss Kathryn!
May 11, 2013 at 8:27PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I wish all the Moms on this site a Happy Mothers Day !!!!! Especially to you Rhonda for bring us all together !
May 12, 2013 at 3:09AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Thanks, Kevin - that is so nice!
May 12, 2013 at 6:19AM     
groveraxle
Thank you, Kevin, for that lovely sentiment.
May 12, 2013 at 6:23AM     
Hobo Jane
I think this thread would make a great reality tv show.....
May 12, 2013 at 10:03AM     
rhondagoodwin
Happy Mothers Day to all of the other wonderful moms out there!!!
I think I will pass on the shoe table though, although it would give use to all the lovely shoes I buy because I like the look, but my feet are finicky and I can't wear heals soi have lots of shoes looking nice in my closet.
May 12, 2013 at 11:14AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Thanks Rhonda - Happy Mother's Day to you, too! I'm waiting for my boys to finish making dinner :-)
May 12, 2013 at 1:41PM     
loishapi
So, hello: Have you changed this room yet? if so, what have you done that you could share? As I have just now seen this page for the first time. Two things: a) I am curious to see changes. b) I see a delightfully enticing little project that will cost very little to transform and lift your spirits high!
May 12, 2013 at 1:51PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
@loishapi: this project has been ongoing for 4 months and has 2800+ posts. You can go back to the beginning and read through if you have days to spare! A LOT has been accomplished...
May 12, 2013 at 1:59PM     
Lynne Forrestal
loishapi, scroll back to two weeks ago to get a glimpsy of the kitchen that is mostly done, just waiting for backsplash tile to come in, Rhonda and family have most of dining room items chosen, and purchased, but are in process of doing work in there, and in the living room, Many items that are shown in the photo shop s that groveraxle has been doing is decided on and purchased. except a few items like tables and lamps, so Rhonda is well on her way... you're welcome to follow along ... we are anxiously waiting for progress reports and photo updates too :)
May 12, 2013 at 2:52PM     
groveraxle
@loishapi, this ideabook should get you up to date:
May 12, 2013 at 4:36PM     
PRO
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 15, 2013 at 2:04AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hi Rhonda! Hope all is going well :-) Hey, I just happened to see these on one of those shopping sites and thought I'd send it along. Both of them would be too much in your living room, but I was thinking that if you wanted to use a swag lamp over the chaise area, maybe you could use the lamp in a bedroom or somewhere. It's a great deal! http://www.55downingstreet.com/products/290/w9040.aspx
May 15, 2013 at 6:23AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Spoke too soon: here is a lampshade I think you would like. This might be nice on a table lamp in the living room (could probably find one at Target or somewhere) http://www.55downingstreet.com/products/286/x0380.aspx

Or how about this lamp http://www.55downingstreet.com/products/286/w9279.aspx

I haven't ever paid much attention to this site, even though I get their emails, but their prices are GREAT plus you get free shipping on most items.
May 15, 2013 at 6:31AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Love that table lamp and a great price at $30. .
May 15, 2013 at 8:45AM     
oneofeleven
I liked them all, thanks for the new link!
May 15, 2013 at 9:55AM     
Dana Veach
I found several nice pieces at this site, and you are right...some decent prices as well...Thanks for the link, Kathryn!
May 15, 2013 at 5:15PM     
rhondagoodwin
What do you all think of this as a wall decor??? They are air plants on a frame.
May 15, 2013 at 6:48PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Good to hear from you Rhonda, I'm sure I can say we all miss ya ! I love air plants. Where were you thinking of hanging them ? How big is it ?
May 15, 2013 at 6:56PM   
rhondagoodwin
I have not decided that yet. I was thinking I could make my own frame or do plates with the plants glued to the centers... Just an idea because I love plants in the house and these seem to be very east to take care of
May 15, 2013 at 7:04PM     
groveraxle
How about in the dining room?
May 15, 2013 at 7:13PM     
oneofeleven
http://pinterest.com/pin/234750199299071107/ Here is an example of vertical plantings
May 15, 2013 at 7:19PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
They look cool in hanging or table top terrariums too. And would be nice in the dining room corner GA was thinking. Really any where.
May 15, 2013 at 7:19PM   
groveraxle
All quiet on the Rhonda front...

Rhonda, how's the patching and painting coming along? I expect you're tired of living in a construction zone. Any updates? Have you received the backsplash tile? Want me to come over and install it?
May 17, 2013 at 5:07PM     
rhondagoodwin
Ya the tile came in and I asked my son in law to install it since he just did his kitchen not to long ago.
He is almost finished fixing the walls, a few surprises under them... Not good, so another wall needed to be completely sheet rocked. Our new back door came in. Pretty much everything is here even the living room rug. Just waiting for him to finish the walls so we can start painting.
Seemed like we were going really fast and then hit low gear, I guess he is doing the best he can.
I promise when something new happens I will post pictures.
May 17, 2013 at 5:35PM     
oneofeleven
thanks for the update Rhonda, there's lots of time left as I recall in your original posting you said you wanted it done by the end of the year!
May 17, 2013 at 5:39PM     
studio10001
In the meantime, I found what the shoe table is missing: http://marjorieskourasdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gilded-Titi.jpg
May 17, 2013 at 6:35PM     
rhondagoodwin
OMG !!! Studio10001. LOL where do you all find this stuff?
May 17, 2013 at 6:36PM     
groveraxle
May 17, 2013 at 7:49PM     
studio10001
First pillow I've ever seen w cellulite!
May 17, 2013 at 7:52PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
That is GROSS. I wouldn't want to hold it in my lap, lol, let alone rest my head on it.
May 18, 2013 at 7:24AM     
rhondagoodwin
Woul you believe that this was actually being sold at a yard sale today... LOL
May 18, 2013 at 6:46PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
that is like the the odd fact you saw it but not the table.... lol
May 18, 2013 at 6:54PM   
oneofeleven
I would have been tempted to buy it if the price was right :), I think one of my daughters would have loved it.
May 18, 2013 at 7:07PM   
studio10001
Unbelievable!!!!! Rhonda, did you buy it?!?!
May 18, 2013 at 7:27PM   
groveraxle
Rhonda, I think you should start over with anatomical furniture. Then you can dress your tables and chairs according to whatever mood suits you. You'll never have to redecorate OR hang up your clothes again.
May 18, 2013 at 11:09PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
This has real possibilities, G.A.....
May 19, 2013 at 5:59AM   
rhondagoodwin
Studio, sorry no I didn't.
G.A. The idea of never having to redecorate is awesome and never hang clothes, unfortunately I think I will pass on this idea
May 19, 2013 at 7:17AM     
groveraxle
Surely there's a table here you have to have. And if your son-in-law hasn't done the backsplash yet, perhaps you might consider a whole wall of these tiles.
May 19, 2013 at 5:46PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I would be scared if I went into someone's home and they had one of those tables and baby tiles on the wall. Ewwwww.....
May 19, 2013 at 6:15PM     
studio10001
I'm ordering some for the next shower I get invited to!
May 19, 2013 at 6:18PM     
groveraxle
Kathryn, good thing I thought twice about posting the chair with the guts spilling out of it. Your "ewwww" threshold is pretty low. I guess that's why you are the designer and I was the middle school teacher. Middle school science makes one look at icky-poo in a whole new way.
May 19, 2013 at 7:31PM     
studio10001
Well,now you have to show - post the address, and Kathryn, look away!
May 19, 2013 at 7:36PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yeah, G.A. - the worms were bad but the fetal pigs were EWWWWWWWWWWW!
May 19, 2013 at 7:40PM     
trishlovesdecor
It seems to be a room that could be decorated to look cozy without looking too outdated. Because its not very large, using lighter colour furniture etc would make the space seem bigger. So the white chairs are a good choice. I would remove a lot of the picture frames from the walls. Simply because it adds too much clutter. In a smaller space, I would go for a few large decor items, rather than many small ones. I would stick to a nice theme when choosing colours and add beautiful accents to your home. I am a huge fan of cushions, as they are so easy to add. And they can be used to create any mood you like. Recently bought some lovely cushions from this website called www.zahaarasanctuary.com. They post worldwide very cheap.

Then I would add matching wall decor. not many, a few large ones placed on one central wall. I would stay away from wooden frames wall decor... because there's already so much wood in the room. Frameless canvases would make the place seem more friendly and less official, if you know what I mean. To reduce the feel of clutter, I would use large images with little detail. That would give the feeling of airiness and spaciousness....
May 19, 2013 at 8:19PM   
oneofeleven
OK, who wants to take this?
May 19, 2013 at 8:42PM     
pegjustpeg
When is it time to "just give up?"
May 19, 2013 at 9:02PM   
oneofeleven
Come on, if we're going to continue to cruise the aisles of Houzz discussions we need to clean up the "messes" as we go along.
May 19, 2013 at 9:11PM     
Dana Veach
On your mark, oneofeleven...!! Rhonda welcomes helpful comments and suggestions, but it would be nice if new participants would read to find out what has already been suggested or tried before jumping in since this thread has been an ongoing one for 4 + months now...there have actually been several ideabooks...from Rhonda and from groveraxle...devoted to the work that has taken place on this project. (Check their pages for updates...) Thanks for joining us.
May 19, 2013 at 9:12PM     
PRO
catieb
.......shooting fish in a barrel.
Do these people not get a clue when they scroll down for ten minutes to get to the bottom?
May 19, 2013 at 9:13PM     
oneofeleven
thanks catieb, a kindred spirit?
May 19, 2013 at 9:17PM     
groveraxle
@studio, here is the chair you requested: http://www.anatomybox.com/tag/anatomy-furniture/

Kathryn, look away! Even I find this one has a bit too much ewwwwwww factor.
May 20, 2013 at 2:46AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I just seriously don't know what to say...:-O
May 20, 2013 at 5:38AM     
carolins
eww for the chair (and giggles), but the bicycle is seriously funny. Well, I think it is anyway :-) http://www.anatomybox.com/skeleton-bicycle/
May 20, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
EEEEWWWWW YUCK ! ME Too , Thank God you didn't post the chair Pic it self. Sorry I looked at all. lol I hated Biology and Science and now can recall why.
May 20, 2013 at 12:44PM   
oneofeleven
thanks GA, that was yewwwwwww in a good sort of way. i pinned it under my "strange accessories ' board.
May 20, 2013 at 5:01PM     
groveraxle
Kathryn and Kevin: the squeamish twins. LOL
May 20, 2013 at 8:01PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Great Minds think a like ! LOL
May 20, 2013 at 8:08PM     
studio10001
(Groveraxle, I choose to think he just called you and I geniuses!)
May 20, 2013 at 8:18PM     
studio10001
Anybody want to see the matching sofa.......?
May 20, 2013 at 8:20PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
LOL
May 20, 2013 at 9:01PM     
studio10001
I'm sure that means 'yes'. Look away, chickenhearts! :
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Cao-Hui-9.jpg

and the side chair w ottoman: http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4797582572651712&pid=15.1

:)))
May 20, 2013 at 9:55PM   
studio10001
Night,all -sweet dreams!!
May 20, 2013 at 9:57PM     
rhondagoodwin
Great picks, and I will definately keep them in mind when the Zombie Apocolyps starts... LOL
Nothing like guts and gore,
Meanwhile I did order this, of course nothing in comparison to all your finds, but it is for the printer and will be placed on the wall with the air conditioner. Measurements are...29"W x 14"D x 30"H.
I was going to get the console one like this, but didn't want it to interfere with the dinette set, this one will fit under the air conditioner, and not take up space behind any dining room chairs.
May 21, 2013 at 2:46AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Great looks,Great size ! And knowing you Rhonda a great price ! I love the doors on the console !
May 21, 2013 at 3:08AM     
rhondagoodwin
Yep, I think so ... One kings lane, which I think are very expensive... $229.00 30% off... So I paid $185 with tax and shipping
May 21, 2013 at 3:24AM     
groveraxle
Great find, Rhonda, though I have to admit I'm sensing you don't really need us anymore. As long as you humor us and show us everything as it gets done, I'll be a happy camper. I am looking forward to the big reveal.
May 21, 2013 at 7:07AM     
allcast
Good job, young Grasshopper. Am I dating myself with a 1970s quote from "Kung Fu"?
May 21, 2013 at 11:23AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
"Ah, so" allcast, but I think you're in good company for the reference lol!
May 21, 2013 at 2:11PM     
rhondagoodwin
Don't worry I will always need my distant friends, I will definately post everything as it goes... The walls. We're a real mess, so that is what the hold up is.
My son in law is suppose to install my backsplash this weekend and well I guess we have to wait a couple of days before grouting, as soon as that is done you will get a picture. I am really trying not to buy anything else, but when I saw that table, it seemed perfect and definately the right color. I can put a basket under it for the grandbabies books and puzzles.
May 21, 2013 at 6:19PM     
oneofeleven
I hear ya Rhonda but looking doesn't cost anything right https://www.jossandmain.com/Zodiac-Gemini-Mara-End-Table~ILH1150~E4733.html
May 21, 2013 at 6:30PM   
Lyn Reeves
I've been monitoring, hovering over, (stalking?), this post for the last few weeks. It's like listening to a group of good friends who are having a grand ol' time, helping one of their friends with her decorating. If I hadn't been reading along, I would swear that y'all live near each other and have known each other for ages! I just wanted to say that I must be even more invested in this discussion than I thought, because while I was on the one kings lane site last night, I saw the piece that Rhonda ordered for her printer, (before she posted that she'd ordered it), and thought to myself, "gee, I'll bet Rhonda could use that somewhere!" LOL I also wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this discussion. You all are so much fun, I'm learning a lot, and I look forward to the next post from someone suggesting that Rhonda paint the paneling white so that 1of11 can vent! :)
May 21, 2013 at 7:22PM     
Dana Veach
Yep...that's why I kind of "took" the last of those "suggestions"...oneofeleven should have a rest sometime from the unsuspecting souls who venture in unheeding...she's been the defacto guardian of the thread...we're all grateful...keeps the rest of us from blowing gaskets on a regular basis! (Besides...I haven't actually contributed much else to the discussion other than following along...lurking, so to speak...)
May 21, 2013 at 9:18PM     
Prince Todd
You all are amazing. Traded General Hospital for this thread. Rhonda, your home is looking beautiful. Glad you didn't paint your paneling ;)
May 22, 2013 at 7:25AM     
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
If you are looking for nautical theme decor, please check http://www.gonautical.com
May 24, 2013 at 8:05AM   
oneofeleven
Hi Rhonda, I just read an article about floor cloths and the article suggested using a floor mat under it.
May 24, 2013 at 6:52PM     
rhondagoodwin
What type of floor mat???
May 24, 2013 at 7:24PM   
oneofeleven
it was a floor mat she had made from a table cloth and several coats of urethane. it sounded like the one you had made.
May 24, 2013 at 7:42PM     
oneofeleven
duh, i just realized you asked me about the mat, not the rug. She said it was an inexpensive mat from Walmart. She attached it with double sided tape but suggested you could also use spray adhesive if your mat had a dense weave.
May 24, 2013 at 7:44PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Floor mats for rugs of any kind keep the rug from slipping around and in place. Walmart have reasonably priced ones. Sort of like a waffle latex pad. With your Prego type floors rugs do slide some on them, some more than others. There is also a benefit of a bit more cushion with a pad. I would get one for sure with your floor cloth in the dining room because of the use keeping in place. Depending on the weight of the living room rug you may need one there to.
May 24, 2013 at 8:07PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
Why are we discussing mats and adhesives on a designers page?
May 24, 2013 at 8:20PM   
Dana Veach
Because we're discussing a real space that real people have to live in without breaking their real necks on rugs sliding out from under them???
May 24, 2013 at 8:29PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
@JW part of a well decorated room is function and Rhonda is down to finishing her entire 1st floor so why wouldn't we be talking about what the clients final need are at this point ?
May 24, 2013 at 8:30PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
PS @ JW this isn't a designers page either ! It is a friendly chat of dilemmas and Houzz questions.
May 24, 2013 at 8:40PM     
jayapple21
Good advice, Kevin and Dana. Those waffle latex pads are great. I bought a larger one a couple of years ago and continue to cut it to various sizes for different purposes. I have it under the small washable rugs in both bathrooms; I've cut pieces just slightly smaller than the loose dining room chair cushions and placed them under the cushions to prevent sliding; I've use pieces as a gripper to open tight jar lids; I even put a piece over the end of a broom handle, secured it with a rubber band, and used it to unscrew a broken light bulb from its socket. It's an inexpensive item with a lot of uses.
May 24, 2013 at 9:24PM     
janax
loving reading this discussion, can't wait to see the finished pics. The new console is going to look great with the green chair.
May 24, 2013 at 11:29PM     
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
Those chairs absolutely marvelous ......
May 25, 2013 at 4:51AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Happy Memorial Day to Rhonda and all her peeps! :-)
May 25, 2013 at 6:27PM     
rhondagoodwin
Thank you Kathryn same to you and all my PeePs on here...
Here is a sneak peak of my backsplash. My son in law came over after he got off work today and started it.
May 25, 2013 at 7:29PM     
studio10001
Woo-hoo!!!!!
May 25, 2013 at 7:32PM   
Susan H
I love it, Rhonda! I think you definitely made the right choice!
May 25, 2013 at 7:47PM     
studio10001
(It's like the night before Christmas, when you get to open just one gift!)
May 25, 2013 at 7:58PM     
carolins
Nice choice of tiles!
May 25, 2013 at 11:53PM   
suzanne_m
Rhonda, I am sure your cabinet above the coffee maker was opening from left to right and now it opens from right to left, have you changed the side for your handle? If yes, no holes from the handle is showing ... good job.
May 26, 2013 at 12:03AM   
rinqreation
2960 comments, wow
May 26, 2013 at 2:08AM     
rhondagoodwin
Suzanne, we actually had to order a 15 inch cabinet for there, the 12 inch that was there did not match up to the end of the counter. I always live by the motto ( you get what you pay for ) well we have come across a lot of blebs that the people we had bought from had made, but we got the best deal from them.
May 26, 2013 at 3:08AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
FABULOUS :-) !!!
May 26, 2013 at 6:22AM   
Lynne Forrestal
Tile is looking great Rhonda! Is it what YOU expected?
May 26, 2013 at 6:47AM   
groveraxle
LOVE the backsplash! It's absolutely perfect!
May 26, 2013 at 6:56AM   
vacox
It looks beautiful!
May 26, 2013 at 7:07AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Looks great !
May 26, 2013 at 8:15AM   
allcast
Perfect choice Rhonda! You are going to have your own design degree when you finish. Will you be consulting on other discussions?
May 27, 2013 at 4:25PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hey, Rhonda: I happened to come across this bench while looking for something else. It isn't the style which caught my eye (although I like this and it could work), but more the general idea that perhaps a hard-seat bench like this would be a way to combine an end table (between sectional and stair) with some occasional seating. You would have to use something decorative to raise a lamp at the sectional end (something sturdy like this, although this is way too rustic for what you're doing http://www.worldmarket.com/product/owen-desk-cubby-natural.do?&from=fn) , and you could add seat cushions to the rest of the bench if you wanted to.
Just an idea!
http://www.worldmarket.com/product/nelson+industrial+bench.do?page=3&from=fn
May 28, 2013 at 9:50AM     
rhondagoodwin
Emergency!!! Kathryn, Groveraxle and Kevin....
We have started painting the living room and the wood around those windows isn't coming up as nice as I would like. Will it still look right if we paint the frames white in the living room? Leave the door natural and the window inner frame natural wood and pint the outer frames white. I know I already have the light fixture for the dining area, and if nesasary I could return it.
Will it look right if I did paint the frames white and did the banister wood and the bamboo shades.
Did I explain that right. We have just hit a standstill till I hear from you all.
June 1, 2013 at 4:54AM     
njmomma
Rhonda post a pic of the dilemma, maybe others can help
June 1, 2013 at 5:59AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Is this what you are talking about doing, Rhonda?
Hill Country Contemporary
Adding Color

I'm not sure I understand about the wood around the windows - are you trying to re-stain them?
June 1, 2013 at 6:13AM   
rhondagoodwin
We were going to, but without sanding them completely down it just isn't going to be to my standards.
June 1, 2013 at 6:17AM   
rhondagoodwin
We were thinking of leaving the door wood and the inside window frame wood color
June 1, 2013 at 6:18AM     
rhondagoodwin
As you can see two different colors of wood
June 1, 2013 at 6:19AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Well, then paint the trim. Of course, there is really no going back after you do that :-( Are you sure, since you spent so much time stripping the wood, that you don't want to sand them down and stain them? If you go ahead and paint the wood but leave the door and window sashes wood, and you don't like it, you can always paint them too. Your wall color looks nice :-) And WOW - that front porch is huge!!!
P.S. I don't think you need to change the dining room light fixture - in fact, I think it will be all the more important to accentuate the wood tone.
June 1, 2013 at 6:25AM     
groveraxle
Hi, Rhonda. Look at Kathryn's pic above of Hill Country Contemporary. The wall color looks to be about the same as yours and the crisp white woodwork looks great. That's what I would do. It will look fresh and be easier to clean.

Keep the dining light fixture. It will resonate with the bamboo shades you're putting on the windows and be just the right amount of wood.
June 1, 2013 at 6:34AM     
rhondagoodwin
Thank you my peeps... Back to work for me
June 1, 2013 at 6:42AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have to laugh: I just opened an email from Remodelista (you know, the latest and greatest cutting edge design, etc.) and what is the first photo of? Painted trim and natural wood sashes!!! You're on the cutting edge, Rhonda! http://www.remodelista.com/posts/the-designer-is-in-layering-history-in-the-hamptons?utm_source=Remodelista%2FGardenista+Subscriber+List&utm_campaign=3a73bdecda-Remodelista+Daily+Mail+Campaign&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_447a717cea-3a73bdecda-384349029
June 1, 2013 at 6:51AM     
suzanne_m
What a timming Kathryne!
June 1, 2013 at 7:19AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Ditto lol
June 1, 2013 at 12:18PM     
jayapple21
Hi, Rhonda. Another 18 comments and you'll hit 3000! It's been enjoyable sharing the ups and downs and oops! with you. I'd like to thank the helpful folks who have mentioned wonderful sites on the Internet that I had never heard of - places like OneKingsLane and 1stdibs and Josh & Main, and now, Remodelista. Your original request for help has opened a whole new world of wonderful things for many of us. Amazing, huh?
June 1, 2013 at 1:47PM     
carolins
3000 comments should be good for a Rhonda-cake shouldn't it? :-)
June 1, 2013 at 1:57PM     
rhondagoodwin
What do you all think about these tables for beside the sectional if I don't go with the bench idea?
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fiesta-3-Piece-Table-Set/6310987/product.html
June 1, 2013 at 5:40PM     
rhondagoodwin
Or maybe even beside the accent chair?
June 1, 2013 at 5:41PM   
rhondagoodwin
Groveraxle, hope your not rusty I know it's been awhile but , I am in need of your help again.
June 1, 2013 at 5:42PM     
June 1, 2013 at 6:07PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I like these second ones best, Rhonda. They lighten up the dark of the sectional and coffee table, plus they would look good with the side chair.
June 1, 2013 at 6:16PM     
rhondagoodwin
I liked the colors too. So these will be the tables for side of the chair.
June 1, 2013 at 6:36PM   
Madeline
Can you make use of this green garden stool somewhere in the design? The problem is one cannot sit on it! But it is after all, Rhonda's green! If you've been down this road before I apologize. I now have my mother (who has dementia) living with me and I can't always get on here to get my "fix." Such progress has been made and the thought just hit me that I might be getting just a tad bit envious!
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Garden-Stool-Green/dp/B007B2PIT8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_10
June 1, 2013 at 6:46PM     
groveraxle
Oh thank goodness. Overstock tables = NOOOOOOooooooooo! Amazon tables YES! They're pretty fun, Rhonda, and will bring a spark to the room. Let me show you...
June 1, 2013 at 6:55PM     
groveraxle
Needs something...
June 1, 2013 at 7:06PM     
allcast
Teehee...so glad you are back to work @groveraxle!
June 1, 2013 at 7:13PM     
rhondagoodwin
Groveraxle, there are two tables with this group... And where did you find that bird??? LOL
June 1, 2013 at 7:46PM   
suzanne_m
Beautiful bird! And the chair would be perfect except ...... :( I think they are a bit too small for the chair. The tallest one is 17" high which is 3" below the seat of the chair and the smallest is 12 in. high.
June 1, 2013 at 8:10PM   
suzanne_m
I meant to say the table would be perfect except ...
June 1, 2013 at 8:11PM   
rhondagoodwin
What height should I be looking for? The arm height is 24 inches on the chair
June 1, 2013 at 8:17PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
As close to the arm height as you can get - maybe 20" or so?
June 1, 2013 at 8:22PM   
groveraxle
Hey, are you making fun of my bird? It IS a bird room, after all. Rhonda, I found the bird at World Market. Totally affordable. It will go with your crazy cat.
June 1, 2013 at 8:48PM     
groveraxle
Speaking of birds, this table--
on sale at Pier1 for $50 and it's 24 inches tall.
June 1, 2013 at 9:25PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that would look nice with the side chair (but too spindly next to the couch)!
June 2, 2013 at 7:16AM   
rhondagoodwin
I like this too, but I think it would tip over too easily, I have seen one like this in a barrel shape.
June 2, 2013 at 7:30AM   
groveraxle
Pricey. $149:
June 2, 2013 at 7:39AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Pricey but pretty :-)
June 2, 2013 at 7:40AM     
rhondagoodwin
Amazon has it for 106.00
June 2, 2013 at 7:44AM     
rhondagoodwin
What do you all think?
June 2, 2013 at 7:44AM     
suzanne_m
It is nice but I would like to know the dimensions.
June 2, 2013 at 7:46AM   
carolins
I love the 'birds in a barrel'.
June 2, 2013 at 7:46AM     
suzanne_m
I found the dimensions and I think it could work: 18 in. diam. and 21 in. high
June 2, 2013 at 7:47AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Buy it, Rhonda! :-)
June 2, 2013 at 7:50AM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, you must be the world's BEST shopper! This is approximately to scale:
June 2, 2013 at 8:10AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Charming, affordable and perfect scale. What more can you ask for?
June 2, 2013 at 8:14AM     
groveraxle
And while we're in a holding pattern with paint and trim, Rhonda have you thought any more about photo canvases of your grandkids by the entry door? Unless, of course, you want to keep the random children I've hung there now... If you want to do it (and I hope you do), find or take high resolution photos; the most interesting are ones that showcase their personalities: jumping in mud puddles, playing dress up, etc. I think it will make for a beautiful, personal wall.
June 2, 2013 at 8:16AM     
groveraxle
Yes, Kathryn, charming, affordable, perfect scale...and IT HAS BIRDS! Yay.
June 2, 2013 at 8:19AM     
rhondagoodwin
1 table down...bought it!
June 2, 2013 at 8:22AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
It's the finishing touches that will really bring the personality in to the room. Great "bird drum table" ! Great Price !
June 2, 2013 at 10:10AM     
Dana Veach
Love, love, love the "birdcage" table, Rhonda!
June 2, 2013 at 11:15AM   
Omar Ud-Din
Just wanna say I love this thread!

Never expected such a response flood for a worn out downstairs. Especially all the pro bono advice from pros.

Huge kudos to Rhonda for bravely embracing and "translating" the advice. It takes some serious courage to leave ones comfort zone!

I'm also impressed by your family for going with your plans. Maybe your hubby isn't that conservative after all ;)
June 3, 2013 at 4:07AM     
skksk
Has there been any activity on this awesome thread since June 3rd? I'm going through withdrawal.....I'm sure I'm not the only one:). Just checking to make sure this is not a website glitch......I can be patient as long as I know I'm not missing anything!
June 7, 2013 at 8:32PM     
groveraxle
Nope. Last news was Rhonda bought the bird barrel table. I think they're still painting and repairing walls. But I have no fear that as soon as something is ready to see, Rhonda will show us pictures. She's good about keeping her groupies up to date.
June 7, 2013 at 9:00PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
They are all about DIY and both working too. So it does take time. They are redoing some of the woodwork, then dry walling the ceilings, taping and sanding then painting. They removed paneling which is a lot of sanding and Spackle. I believe. Also the stair well is having a bit of a redo too. Then light fixtures, switch plates, curtain rods, and I'm sure more small things to prep the room. Rhonda wants everything to be done right. Plenty to keep them busy for quite a while.
June 7, 2013 at 9:23PM     
rhondagoodwin
Moving the living room furniture from one room to another is a real workout.
Right now the furniture is in the dining area so he can finish lying the floor in the living room
June 9, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Lookin Good Rhonda
June 9, 2013 at 3:58PM     
Nancy Walton
Just think, Rhonda, how nice it will look when it's all done! You will have something to be proud of. Then you can finally post on Before and After and get all the praises!
June 9, 2013 at 3:59PM     
vacox
Wow, great job! Thanks for the progress pictures!!
June 9, 2013 at 4:03PM     
suzanne_m
Wow wow and wow! Fantastic Rhonda! It was worth two weeks so see that result!
June 9, 2013 at 4:05PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
:-)
June 9, 2013 at 6:10PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I like the white trim, and the wall color looks so pretty and fresh!
June 9, 2013 at 6:11PM     
groveraxle
Love the paint job. Rhonda, I must tell you I had a pang when we hadn't heard from you after that building collapse. So I am VERY GLAD to see your photos. Should have known you were too busy to be out in any public place. ;-)
June 9, 2013 at 6:46PM     
Lyn Reeves
Looking good! You and your hubby are my "DIY Renovation Heroes"!
June 9, 2013 at 7:56PM     
allcast
What a transformation! You all have been working ery hard and it shows.
June 9, 2013 at 9:43PM     
burnsmj1
Hi Rhonda. I've been following since the beginning. I've enjoyed the whole process and learned a little about design from your great group of designers. I love how you have embraced the advice given and how you have found your own direction. Job well done and a big round of applause for you and all those who have helped along the way.
June 10, 2013 at 8:59PM     
rhondagoodwin
Posted a picture of something I made for a wall hanging... Should they go in the living room or dining room.
I made these with plates, accumulated sample tiles and air plants.
I posted them in my idea book, because once again houzz won't let me post a photo on here.
June 11, 2013 at 8:10AM   
rhondagoodwin
Okay question?
These tables come in three different sizes
http://www.amazon.com/InnerSpace-Luxury-Products-Small-Glass/dp/B00C6731J2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_10

24, 30 and 36... Do you think this would be too much to have the three of the staggered on the end of the sectional?
June 11, 2013 at 8:47AM   
jayapple21
Hi, Rhonda. Boy, you are really on a roll.

Re: the wall pieces. Really creative use of leftover materials. How nice to have an art piece that you created in your remodel. Do you think there would be room for them on the solid dining room wall that's around the corner from the TV? Maybe a straight line of black, black, red or whatever layout you think looks good. It would be a safer location for the air plants.

Re: the tables. These are nice but they might detract from the uniqueness of the round chair-side table that I think you already decided upon. Choosing a table for the end of the sectional is probably a decision to wait on until the sofa, chair, and chair-side table are in place.
June 11, 2013 at 9:02AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I like your wall hangings for the dining room, since they are plates! I think they would look nice hung vertically :-)

As for the tables, I do think they would be too spindly and delicate and not substantial enough looking. Jayapple21 brings up a good point, too, that they might detract from your other table. I agree, also, that it would probably be best to wait until everything is in place to see what might work best there and how visually heavy it needs to be, especially since you are so close!!!!
June 11, 2013 at 9:47AM     
groveraxle
Hi, Rhonda. I say these cute things--
in the dining room, probably on the wall to the left of the air conditioner. Or is there wall space between dining and kitchen? I'll look and photoshop an image for you.

As for the bird tables, I think three would be too many and I also think they are way too delicate-looking to hold their own next to the sectional. You need something bulkier there.
June 11, 2013 at 9:49AM     
jayapple21
Rhonda, were your art plates sitting on your new floor when you took the photo? Great looking floor. Is it maple? I like how light it is.
June 11, 2013 at 10:13AM     
groveraxle
I found the green cabinet you bought and put it in the dining room as well. I hope this is where you planned on putting it. Sorry it's a bit askew; my program doesn't like moving furniture either.
June 11, 2013 at 11:44AM     
allcast
Groveraxle, you amaze me! :0 What a gift to see the finished project before you hang it, buy it or paint it.. I would have saved a lot of time returning purchased goods, repainting whole rooms, respackling and living with regret. :)
June 11, 2013 at 1:07PM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, just to let you know, I do like very much that you kept natural wood around windows and door. I goes very well with the blinds plus it gives to the satisfaction of not loosing all the hard work you did to have them in so much great condition.
June 11, 2013 at 1:34PM   
groveraxle
suzanne, I hate to break this to you, but they've painted the woodwork white. The good news is it looks great!
June 11, 2013 at 1:48PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
What happened to Rhonda's photos of the painted trim????
June 11, 2013 at 2:11PM     
suzanne_m
Oops, I missed that. Ok then, if you say it looks great then I am happy for Rhonda!
June 11, 2013 at 2:45PM     
Lynne Forrestal
I thought I remembered windows and door was wood, but the trim was painted white? or was I just dreaming that?? Looking very nice Rhonda! So exciting to get to this point and seeing the end in sight.... with just the FUN parts left to do for the most part :)
June 11, 2013 at 2:47PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the additional bird tables will be to much I think you need something simple and colorful like the green your using. Way back you posted some modern drum tables would they work ? or something like that style. I love the plates you made with the air plants and I think the would look great in the dining room. The posted pic GA did with the plates looks nice if they will fit the wall. Great job on the plates Rhonda your a artist with cakes and now with wall decor too !
June 11, 2013 at 2:52PM     
PRO
June 11, 2013 at 2:59PM     
suzanne_m
Soooooo cute!
June 11, 2013 at 3:04PM   
groveraxle
Perfect, Kathryn. And this for the floor lamp, of course.
June 11, 2013 at 5:16PM     
groveraxle
OMG, look what I found from the company that has that bird sconce. $260. They're in Hong Kong. Do you suppose it's safe to order from them? http://www.houzz.com/photos/3870448/Focus-Leaf-Floor-Lamp-contemporary-floor-lamps-other-metro
June 11, 2013 at 5:21PM     
rhondagoodwin
Hey no fair ... Stop posting stuff I may like if I can't use it... I would definitely buy that focus leaf floor lamp Groveraxle
June 11, 2013 at 6:47PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
GA,that looks like that floor lamp you like from the (was it?) Israeli desinger!
June 11, 2013 at 6:55PM   
groveraxle
OK, that floor lamp is a knock off from a company in Hong Kong and they appear to be selling it on Amazon.com. I put it in my cart, then took it out because there was no way to tell what color I'd be getting (they have a choice of five or so) and it doesn't tell the size. So I put it on my wish list and asked a question--two questions, about color and size--and will be notified if and when it's answered.

This is the lamp of my dreams, Rhonda. If shipping is reasonable, I'm buying it, too. I will let you know what I find out about it. (Have to admit I feel a bit guilty buying a knock off from Aqua Creations, but I should have figured the Chinese would steal it eventually.)
June 11, 2013 at 7:16PM   
groveraxle
A bit more info from the distributer's page: the $260 lamp is 90 cm tall. The 180 cm lamp is $450, I think. You can see all the variations here: http://www.b2bphoenix.com/7366.html
June 11, 2013 at 7:24PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
What is that? Fabric?
June 11, 2013 at 8:06PM   
groveraxle
The originals are silk. The Chinese one just says cloth, so my guess is some kind of synthetic fabric. Looks like shipping might be somewhere in the neighborhood of $60. Gotta check on returns. Would hate to buy it and be disappointed with quality.
June 11, 2013 at 9:00PM   
liquidsunshine13
sitting here with my cup of morning coffee. what will i do when my Rhonda koffee klatch goes away? already feeling the withdrawals.. thanks to everyone whose talent and expertise & ideas have taught me a lot. i've also learned of a bunch of new on-line resources for cool (and silly) things. best to all!
June 12, 2013 at 8:16AM     
Shelly Castille
I have been following this thread for months now. Where are the latest pictures of the progress, Rhonda?
June 13, 2013 at 4:54AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hey Rhonda: Wish your husband a very Happy Father's Day from me. He has been such a trooper! Hope he's getting a special cake, maybe in lime green and white??? Maybe you should bake a file in it - he might need one on your next project ;-)
June 15, 2013 at 7:18PM     
rhondagoodwin
Thank you Kathryn...
I hope thes doesn't throw my whole design off, but I had to change the coffee table... The one they had written on my slip was brown and did not come in black.
This is the one I changed it too....
http://homegallerystores.com/shop/coffee_table_147.html

I always liked this one for some reason it was the first table that caught my eye when I first started looking, I just hope it looks good with everything else.
June 16, 2013 at 3:14PM     
groveraxle
Oh man. You should've seen me trying to find the latest rendering of the living room among all my pics in the Rhonda folder. LOL. I like your choice, Rhonda.
June 16, 2013 at 3:44PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that one actually looks lighter in the room :-) Good choice!
June 16, 2013 at 5:08PM     
Lynne Forrestal
Yes, I agree, it seems to give a little more breathing space.. lighter in the room as Kathryn said :)
June 16, 2013 at 5:46PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like it even better than the first one. The glass top is more airy feeling. Great Pick !
June 16, 2013 at 8:32PM     
Ernida Amda
nice photo
June 17, 2013 at 7:00PM   
rhondagoodwin
Well just when things are starting to fall into place... Murphy's Law shows its ugly face.
First my dear men mess up a newly painted wall moving the old couch out, then My dear Hubby takes my side table out of the box and it is falling apart at the seams...( returning and reordering ) and last but not least he puts my accent chair together, which is my chair until the new furniture gets here and it is small and oh so uncomfortable. It's gorgeous though.
On a better note the furniture will be delivered July 6th ... I am going to Kentucky with my daughter this Thursday for ten days Andre love of my life is going to use that time to finish up the rest of the downstairs.
June 18, 2013 at 6:11AM     
groveraxle
Oh dear. Is that the green Overstock chair? Maybe it will be comfy for the kids? And the bird table is falling apart? Well, let's remember these are first-world problems. We have our health, food, and a place to sleep. It will work out in the end.
June 18, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
There seems to be always a glitch in one thing or another. Sounds like everything is fixable. Will you keep the chair ? Have a wonderful trip !
June 18, 2013 at 3:53PM     
nelsonfamily23
Paint the paneling and the trim white to brighten the space and give it a fresh updated look, which at the same time is classic. This will also set your wood floors apart and make them stand out instead of them blending in with the walls and trim.
June 18, 2013 at 4:24PM   
jayapple21
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
June 18, 2013 at 5:18PM     
vacox
LOL
June 18, 2013 at 5:33PM     
oneofeleven
Hey Rhonda, did stacybear23 make you laugh? I think you should send the chair back and get something comfortable. Your living space is too small to mess around with furniture that doesn't work for you and it will only serve to constantly irritate you. On another note it's nice to know "hubby" has a name and it's a good French one. Happy shopping/vacationing in Kentucky.
June 18, 2013 at 6:05PM     
suzanne_m
I agree with oneofeleven, if the chair is not comfortable I would change it. Rhonda did you identified what was wrong with the chair ... low back? seat too deep? seat too low? Knowing what is wrong, we will try to pay attention to these details when we will help you shopping for a new one if you decide to go that route.
June 18, 2013 at 6:10PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hey Rhonda - sorry to hear of the trials and tribulations. Just think of it this way: up until now, and for the big stuff, you've gone along pretty easily :-) Have a great trip! I'm in Florida for a wedding so will be more or less incommunicado for a few days, too.
June 19, 2013 at 7:55PM     
jabbott2012
I haven't seen any postings for a week. Just making sure I'm still on the thread. Hope all is well Rhonda!
June 28, 2013 at 5:10AM     
janax
oh I am disappointed about the chair it looked so nice better to get a comfortable one in a similar pattern.
June 28, 2013 at 5:29AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I myself would almost prefer a solid color chair in the green , red, gray cloth or leather black. If you do replace the chair. The table nest to the chair has the leafy iron pattern already next to it and near by the prints of two rugs. IMHO
June 28, 2013 at 12:00PM   
julieloveandrews
So many comments here,then may I know if the building-owner has successfully done your work till now?
June 28, 2013 at 8:43PM     
nwduck
Julie Andrews: I've been following this from afar. It's a work in progress by lots of people. A good read if you want to see a process helped along by a community of professionals and talented non-pros. As long as you don't come on and suddenly suggest she paint the paneling white, you're good to go! :)
June 28, 2013 at 8:50PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
LOL, nwduck!
June 28, 2013 at 9:04PM     
julieloveandrews
Kathryn,what are you laughing for/
June 29, 2013 at 1:41AM   
vacox
Julie, she's laughing at nwduck's comment about the paneling; every so often, somebody sees the original pics and pops on here to suggest that Rhonda (the owner) should paint it without paying any attentiont to the number of comments or their content. Since the paneling's been gone for months and months, it's gotten to be kind of a joke. Nwduck is right, it's a fascinating history and worth the time to read through. The work is almost done and all who are following are all worked up to see the final pics. I believe Rhonda is on vacation right now, and her husband and son are supposed to be finishing everything up. They have done all the work themselves. There are progress photos throughout.
June 29, 2013 at 5:23AM     
julieloveandrews
I do understand now,just enjoy the progress!!!
July 1, 2013 at 11:01PM   
nwduck
Sorry Julie. I should have been more clear, as vacox explained.
July 1, 2013 at 11:16PM   
juliagelen
I have to admit that you are all so professional,today is hot,isn't it?
July 2, 2013 at 12:08AM   
PRO
sinofaucet
I find lots of good and practical suggestion in this discussion. But I'm wondering whether the owner had solved his problem or not?
July 2, 2013 at 2:52AM   
oneofeleven
Yes!
July 2, 2013 at 8:56AM     
rhondagoodwin
Hello my dear friends,
Furniture comes tomorrow and this is the chair I was thinking of replacing the chair which my husband has named the ugly chair.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Butler-Hinged-Storage-Bench/5868661/product.html

Of course I say black faux leather and he says gray microfiber... Input???
Here are a few pictures of slow progress...
His ugly chair will be disposed of tomorrow...LOL not my new one, and the black Massage chair by the air conditioner will be going up stairs
Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July.
Oh and one more thing... I am not crazy about my work of art .... Just saying they may get replaced.
July 5, 2013 at 11:28AM     
carolins
Hi Rhonda, good to see you. Can barely recognize your room. What a transformation. Beautiful floor and I love the blinds and the wall colour. That little cabinet is cute! And so is the birdy table. I think that if you hang your art straight and not at different angles. it will look much better.

My vote goes to the slate gray suede, but feel free to ignore that. Let's see what the design team have to say :-)
July 5, 2013 at 11:31AM     
rhondagoodwin
Thanks Carolins, although the blinds are temporary paper blinds.... We still have to measure for the bamboo
July 5, 2013 at 1:29PM   
oneofeleven
I really like the way the blinds look; they provide privacy, light and blend in nicely. Have you thought about installing the same type of blind in a more permanent fabric?

July 5, 2013 at 2:12PM   
oneofeleven
This would look nice on the stairway wall if you don't put photos over the sofa.
Family-Tree-Wall-Decal-traditional-decals-other-metro
July 5, 2013 at 2:34PM   
groveraxle
OMG. The floors and paint look fab-U-lous! I don't think the chair is ugly, but it does look small. Here is my vote on the chair:
July 5, 2013 at 3:09PM     
groveraxle
Look, it's perfect in red. (Yes, I'm serious.)
July 5, 2013 at 3:16PM     
rhondagoodwin
Oneofeleven nice idea, but won't the chair rail interfere with the design? The ones that I have seen are on solid walls.

I like the red too Groveraxle, but not sure hubby will go for red. :(
July 5, 2013 at 5:12PM     
oneofeleven
I tried to find a picture of the stairs but no luck. Is there a handrail on the right side going up?
July 5, 2013 at 6:47PM   
groveraxle
Here's the last picture of the stair wall from when we were trying to convince Rhonda to look at furniture featuring body parts.

Rhonda, tell hubby since you didn't get this shoe table, he has to let you have the red chair.
July 5, 2013 at 7:31PM     
oneofeleven
Thanks GA, I'm for the red chair too, it's my favourite colour and I think every room needs a hit of red! Rhonda, I was thinking you'd put the tree on the wall to the right of the stairs as you walk up. I'm not sure if it would work but I'm sure there's a tree out there that would..
July 5, 2013 at 8:22PM   
oneofeleven
Here's another idea for your photos, Ikea has very inexpensive frames .
Wall-Decals---Art-from-www-tradingphrases-com-contemporary-decals-columbus
July 5, 2013 at 8:28PM   
groveraxle
Two dining room art suggestions:
July 5, 2013 at 8:35PM   
donnasd
Hey Rhonda, I've been here for a long time & have loved how everything has come together on your journey. I'm wondering if this wall would be a good place to put b & w photos of your children/grandchildren. I think there are photos somewhere else but I kinda can see how some would be so nice here. Can't remember if you've said how many children or grandchildren you have. If you wanted, you could put photos on the wall here of each of your own CHILDREN when they were small. Or maybe you have some other meaningful thing(s) you'd like to display., possibly in simple shadow boxes. Of course, it's your home & you're the final 'decider'. It's just a thought that I had.
July 6, 2013 at 9:20AM     
studio10001
July 6, 2013 at 10:12AM     
Nancy Walton
Cute!
July 6, 2013 at 11:02AM     
rhondagoodwin
Well furniture came... :)
Still have to put some odds and ends away and then I will post photos.
My coffee table is still on back order, so I may wait till it comes in for the pictures.
A little disappointed with the floor cloth, there are places on the leaves where the black is showing thru. I will also post a picture of that.
July 6, 2013 at 4:59PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Like, like, like, Rhonda! Can't wait to see it!
July 6, 2013 at 5:39PM     
groveraxle
Think of the floorcloth this way: those little imperfections add character and show it was handmade just for you. I usually prefer things that aren't perfect anyway: antiques with their nicks and scrapes, handwoven pieces that aren't quite straight. They are evidence of life being lived.
July 6, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Dana Veach
I like the way you think, G. A....no work of "art" is ever "perfect!"
July 6, 2013 at 10:17PM   
studio10001
except cats.
July 6, 2013 at 10:26PM     
carolins
Cats are purrrrrfect :-)
July 7, 2013 at 12:14AM     
rhondagoodwin
Okay, here is a sneak peek of the living room. I still have to hang my picture and mirror...
Exactly where should they be hung? I have decided to get a nice cover for the dogs cage and maybe a piece of wood to use it as an end table... This is where they sleep, it will be placed beside the sectional. Dual purpose?
How high up from the back of the sectional should they be hung and what position, leaving room for something else on the window side of the wall
July 7, 2013 at 3:53AM     
groveraxle
As I recall, I tried to scale the mirror and the art when I did this photoshop of the living room:

General rule: hang it so the bottoms are about 6 inches above the back of the couch. And don't leave room for "something else on the window side" unless you already have that something else. Center the grouping over the couch. If the grouping ends up looking small, then we'll look for "something else" and regroup and rehang.

I am amazed at the transformation. The wall color is beautiful, the sectional fits perfectly, and the rug was a good choice. I think your idea of turning the dog crate into a table is brilliant. The art and mirror over the sofa and window coverings will really finish this room off.
July 7, 2013 at 5:14AM     
groveraxle
I've added bamboo blinds and drapes, placed the art over the sofa (and tried to scale it to approximate size), and added the contentious red chair. Show Andre how fabulous it looks in the photoshop pic; it's exactly the pop you need.
July 7, 2013 at 6:02AM     
carolins
Looks fab! And as much as I like the red chair, I do think that grey will look good too. Calmer. The red is very vibrant, but nice.
July 7, 2013 at 6:19AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Wow, wow, wow! What a transformation already, Rhonda! I am so excited for you - it is really looking fabulous. And GA, as usual - your pictures are worth a thousand words ;-)
July 7, 2013 at 6:20AM     
groveraxle
A small thing that I think will make a huge difference: lose the pink in the front porch...
July 7, 2013 at 6:52AM     
groveraxle
I think the hubs said he wanted black. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrring...
July 7, 2013 at 6:54AM     
Lynne Forrestal
If they like the black or gray, then a red pillow on the chair and sofa would give an added pop. and is there a plan yet for the wall on the right of the door? some light, brightness there would balance the picture colors too
Looking fantastic!! and the dog cage for table too, not a decorators first choice I know, but in reality, it's a good compromise, can't have the cage in the middle of the room, and they NEED that. :) Just a thought, wonder if the front of the dog cage was painted red or green for a pop of color, make it look like it's a funky table base that was intended, with a top on it and lamp etc.
July 7, 2013 at 8:21AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Agreed, GA! The living room needs a shot of color to offset the large, solid color sectional. How about green, if the red is too much? I would actually like to see a large-pattern chair in there - I think the room can handle it.
http://www.target.com/p/armless-upholstered-chair-green-silver/-/A-13952012#prodSlot=large_3_7
http://www.target.com/p/burke-armless-slipper-chair-red-chevron/-/A-14421295#prodSlot=large_1_13
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gina-Zig-Zag-Armless-Accent-Chair-Multiple-Colors/23652915
July 7, 2013 at 8:27AM     
suzanne_m
Rhonda, you have no art put on the wall yet and the room looks so great now. I can't wait to see it when the arts are on the walls ... this is going to be AMAZING!

There are a lot of little details mentioned above that I like a lot. For example, having the dog cage being double use for an end table, you don't disturb the routine of the dogs. They love to be with you and you love being with them. Plus you would need to find a space anyway. You may want to add a tablecloth on top of the piece of wood but keep it open where the dog cage door is.

I also likes Lynne's idea of keeping the black chair but add a red pillow. Removing the pink curtains in the front porch makes a huge difference as well. Rhonda, if you and Andre are not too tired after finishing the LR and DR maybe just add a coat of paint and green curtains in the porch would make the first floor look a lot bigger because the porch portion will look like being part of the rest of the house.
July 7, 2013 at 8:45AM     
suzanne_m
Kathryn, I like your suggestions for a chair if Rhonda is going to changed the black one. I would just like to make a little comment ... what is the purpose of this chair? ... if it is Rhonda's chair and would like to use it for reading then I think a chair with arms would be a lot more comfortable.
July 7, 2013 at 8:49AM   
jayapple21
Really like Lynne's suggestions. Men like leather and throw pillows are easy to change. Rhonda could switch to holiday ones at Christmas, etc. The black chair does seem to darken the room, however.

GA., could you try the chair in a couple of other colors that tie in with the patterned pillows on the sectional? It's great to be able to "shop" through GA's computer skills.
July 7, 2013 at 8:51AM     
Lynne Forrestal
I thought hubby liked the gray and Rhonda wanted the black leather... I'll need to go back and refresh my memory :)
July 7, 2013 at 9:01AM   
Robyn Jones
Idea for dog crate/coffee table
July 7, 2013 at 9:02AM     
Lynne Forrestal
Robyn, that really makes it work!! and with this talented family could use the original crate as the base.
July 7, 2013 at 9:03AM     
groveraxle
Love that dog crate table.

A selection of chairs. I threw on a random pillow since I have about 400 in Rhonda's folder.
July 7, 2013 at 11:01AM     
groveraxle
OK, I actually like the black chair with a bright pillow. How about another on the couch?
July 7, 2013 at 11:11AM     
Nancy Walton
I like the green chair, actually. It brings color from the artwork to the other side of the room.
July 7, 2013 at 11:17AM     
jayapple21
We're looking at this without the coffee table which I think is a fairly dark piece even though it has a glass top. The armless chair is 35" wide and pretty solid. Will the combination of all three - the sectional, the coffee table, and the armless chair in dark tones make the room seem darker once again?
July 7, 2013 at 11:28AM     
jayapple21
What about a chair like this? It has arms for comfort, is narrower, and received good reviews.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dwell-Home-Inc./19505675#Product+Reviews
July 7, 2013 at 1:25PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that chair really, really, really needs to be a color, if not a color and pattern. More like the one that you had, Rhonda - it lightens the room. I agree that even though the coffee table will have a glass top, it is going to be a definite presence in the room. It is also dark. I thought that this chair was just for occasional guest seating, not for the family necessarily. Not sure. I think another type of chair that would work here, and would tie into the bamboo look going on, would be some kind of rattan/wicker/etc. It would bring some texture to the room. These are usually smaller scale, even with arms, and are not as low to the floor - might look a bit "airier". A green or red seat cushion would look nice on this kind of chair. Even a painted wicker chair might look good. There are quite a lot of simple-lined, more contemporary looking ones out there.

This might work, with a green or red seat cushion http://www.pier1.com/Banana-Armchair/2349938,default,pd.html?cgid=papasan_wicker

Here is a black one, which might be a good compromise, and would certainly wear like iron (and hide the dirt). I would much prefer a green cushion (over red) with this one: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/black+all-weather+wicker+solano+dining+armchair.do?&from=Search
July 7, 2013 at 2:09PM   
studio10001
If the first one wasn't comfortable, perhaps this should be a locally available choice for testing? JC Pennys - For hubby: http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/1a259ac_1a259b2_792-4030_MardiGrasBlack_jpg.tif?op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&rgn=0,0,2460,2460&scl=6.473684210526316&id=3ucqWi_sJtuUm0EEDaZx_S

Pennys has this in a few other patterns.
July 7, 2013 at 2:19PM   
groveraxle
Wicker would be a nice change, lighter, and would echo texture of bamboo blinds.
July 7, 2013 at 3:34PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Here's another idea: a classic, modern look in brown leather, which again kind of picks up the bamboo tones. This style of chair is very comfortable (although not super inexpensive - could find another source, though, in a fabric; also, maybe too big??) http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=16731275&parentid=A_FURN_FURNITURE

How 'bout the Furlicious version? Maybe not along the line of the human body parts, but the same spirit lol http://www.pbteen.com/products/furlicious-butterfly-chair/

A simple Ikea chair, inexpensive, but would look nice with a colorful lumbar pillow on it. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10233532/

This could also be fun with a bright pillow - it's really visually lightweight looking, so wouldn't take up a lot of visual space. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50209865/

Pillow? http://www.worldmarket.com/product/calla+green+velvet+lumbar+pillow.do?page=2&from=fn http://www.pier1.com/Cabana-Stripe-Lumbar-Pillow---Citrus/2669678,default,pd.html?cgid=pillows
July 7, 2013 at 4:25PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I really like the look of that lighter wicker chair with the very straight lines. I think that would make a nice counterpoint to the weight of the sectional, plus that style kind of reminds me a bit of the dining chairs. Thanks for montaging, GA.
July 7, 2013 at 4:27PM     
jayapple21
Ivory chair and grandchildren and a dog? Maybe handsome but not practical. Yes? No?
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Enzo-Accent-Chair-Solids/7310921/product.html
July 7, 2013 at 4:48PM   
groveraxle
So many chairs, so little time. OK, she's tried an Overstock chair and it's not comfy. I can attest to the comfort of all Ikea chairs. Yes, I've sat in every one of 'em. They're located just about the place where your legs give out. (Those Swedes are smart.)

I really like the brown wicker chair from Kathryn. It's lighter in weight and in color, echoes the wood, and I'll bet she can find one locally to try before she buys. Of course, Rhonda has a mind of her own and will not be shy about telling us what she likes.
July 7, 2013 at 5:07PM     
Nancy Walton
And there is a site that sells custom slicovers for most of IKEA sofas, chairs and ottomans. I just ordered from there, they have a 3-4 week delivery time, even here to the states. https://bemz.com
July 7, 2013 at 5:34PM     
Nancy Walton
sorry, got it wrong, it's http://www.bemz.com/en-us/
July 7, 2013 at 5:35PM     
Nancy Walton
This would be the Jennylund chair (smaller scale) with a BEMZ cover on it.
July 7, 2013 at 5:40PM   
Nancy Walton
And a different cover
July 7, 2013 at 5:42PM     
oneofeleven
I liked that leather butterfly chair, I bet it's comfy and will age well . Just a thought for your French door Rhonda. Put some opaque film on it so it disguises the porch but still lets in light and doesn't hide the lovely panes and refinished wood http://www.purlfrost.com/
July 7, 2013 at 5:44PM   
oneofeleven
Rhonda, if you're not sure about wall placement make a paper template of your mirror and picture and hang them on the wall with painter's tape.
July 7, 2013 at 6:04PM     
Nancy Walton
And then put a nail through the paper template for hanging, take the paper off and voila! you're all set to go!
July 7, 2013 at 6:08PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
All's looking good ! I haven't been able to post a comment in days ... Anyone else ?
July 7, 2013 at 6:39PM     
bebebatt
I painted my panel and wall the same color
July 7, 2013 at 6:53PM   
Dana Veach
Aargh! (Deep breath...o.k....I'm smiling now...)
July 7, 2013 at 7:37PM     
baggie2
Rhonda, just happened to find your discussion and have a suggestion. Instead of making a photo collage of your grandchildren, depending on how many you have, you could provide each grandchild with a canvas and paints - with your choice of colors and have them make a picture. Our daughter has done this with her two boys. The first canvases were large and are most excellent child-like landscapes. The second canvases were done three years later and are about 8 x 10. They both chose to make pictures of a much loved pet. The oils are signed and dated and hang beautifully in their living room and dining room.
July 7, 2013 at 7:38PM     
oneofeleven
thanks Dana, I didn't respond because for some bizarre reason I didn't understand what bebebatt was trying to say! Got it now though :)
July 7, 2013 at 7:42PM     
Dana Veach
I'm trying to keep in mind that people generally mean well...if only they could/would read?
July 7, 2013 at 7:46PM   
oneofeleven
wouldn't you love the opportunity to sit down with them and ask them what they were thinking?
July 7, 2013 at 7:47PM     
Dana Veach
Thinking...do people really do that anymore? (Maybe I should shut up now before I get myself in trouble.)
July 7, 2013 at 7:51PM   
oneofeleven
I'd like to think they still do, at least some of us still do (most of Rhonda groupies I'm sure)
July 7, 2013 at 8:02PM     
Dana Veach
Yep...Rhonda's peeps seem to be "good people."
July 7, 2013 at 8:03PM     
Nancy Walton
For the most part, until you get one like that! I could name names, but I won't here.
July 7, 2013 at 8:46PM   
PRO
Make and wander wood design exhibition
Feeling little space, try the spatial structure of Japan, matched some of the contemporary furnishings, rich colors can only be placed in an inconspicuous place and space of transition.
July 9, 2013 at 8:54PM   
nwduck
Make and wander: You make a very good point. The original poster, however, is nearly done with her redecoration thanks to many, many members of this site, and I believe she wants some color. For future knowledge, however, I would be very interested if you know of/could direct me to a site you feel best illustrates these design principles. We are all better for knowing more! :)
July 9, 2013 at 9:25PM     
jayapple21
I wonder if some of the posters to Rhonda's saga even read the original concern much less the follow up journey.
July 11, 2013 at 11:08AM   
groveraxle
jay, I always look at the number of comments before I post. If I saw 3000+ comments, I'd figure everything had already been said. Heck, I figure that when I see 30+ comments. LOL
July 11, 2013 at 12:42PM     
oneofeleven
mclure tables posted on another thread I follow so I suspect they're sending this out all over the place. This constitutes Spam in my opinion and Houzz should pull their comments like Pinterest does.
July 11, 2013 at 1:55PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yes, I think it's one thing to promote your product if it pertains to the project, but quite another to just post it willy-nilly everywhere! Willy-nilly. You like that? I haven't used that term in about a million years lol!
July 11, 2013 at 1:58PM     
Dana Veach
One of my favorite terms, Kathryn!...so glad to find someone else familiar with it!
July 11, 2013 at 2:06PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Shuffle board really ??? lol
July 11, 2013 at 9:00PM   
leecy
Just wanted to say hi, I'm an occasional stalker on this thread, it's hard to keep up, I can't wait to see before & after once its all done. :-)
July 12, 2013 at 3:14AM     
jabbott2012
Any new pics to share?
July 17, 2013 at 7:47PM   
PRO
Make and wander wood design exhibition
Hi, I share my new creation!
July 18, 2013 at 6:43AM   
rhondagoodwin
hello, I know its been awhile since anyone has heard from me... nothing new has happened. we need to save more funds for the stairs to get finished.
The good news ... My so called ugly chair is staying.
hope everyone is having a safe and blessed summer
I was having problems posting from my ipad. every time I started typing it would boot me off.
well I just wanted to let you all know I think of you often... especially , Kathryn, oneofeleven and kevin , I couldn't have done this without your support. I will let you all know when we start back up again
July 23, 2013 at 3:37PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
You popped up in my email, Rhonda :-) So good to hear from you! I know it takes time to get things done. I have lived in my house for 23 years and I'm STILL waiting for some of it. Oh, well, what can you do? Oh, I know: enjoy the summer! I was at Ikea today - they have a lot of stuff on sale if anyone needs anything. In fact, I thought of you, Rhonda - I bought the cutest set of placemats with birds on them. $2.99! Enjoy the summer. Lots and lots of rain here, all summer long, but the next few days are supposed to be beautiful - 80 degrees or so and sunny. I hope it makes it to you!
July 23, 2013 at 4:05PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
July 23, 2013 at 4:12PM     
oneofeleven
thanks for keeping us updated Rhonda, I was thinking of you today and knew we'd be hearing from you soon. I love those placemats Kathryn, I'm headed to Ann Arbor tomorrow for a two day shop and debated going to Ikea. Guess I'll have to go now.
July 23, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Have fun in AA, oneofeleven. A stop at Ikea is always fun!
July 23, 2013 at 4:47PM     
jayapple21
Oh, those placemats are wonderful! Colorful with a sense of humor. 11x14. Could be framed.............. ☺
July 23, 2013 at 6:09PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Hi Rhonda and everyone I have missed you all ! I couldn't post for a while myself. I can't wait to see pics.
Yes that thing called money there is never enough. lol But gosh recalling what you planned on and then the remodel of a entire 1st floor you did go a bit over budget. LOL Knowing Rhonda made her budget go as far as possible with every sale and coupon etc. There is a small part of me that hopes it never ends, but that's the friends I have made here, I know. This group is always going to be my fav forever ! I have been enjoying the summer , sales and sun. Come cold weather I will play HOUZZ again. I will just keep watch for Rhonda !
July 24, 2013 at 5:38AM     
Nancy Walton
Hi Kevin, we've missed seeing you on Houzz!
July 24, 2013 at 7:19AM   
Ernida Amda
he, we've missed seeing you on Houzz!
July 25, 2013 at 8:54PM   
jabbott2012
Hey there Rhonda! Could you post some recent photos? Going thru withdrawal :)
August 8, 2013 at 12:44PM     
leong2012
Very Nice
August 9, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Hows it going Ms Rhonda ? Missin Ya ! I'm re doing my bedroom now, I need more money already! lol
August 19, 2013 at 9:33PM     
PRO
catieb
Hello everyone. I followed for days, weeks, months.....maybe even years.....then lost track over the past two or three months. Just took a quick tour of what has transpired. Looking wonderful!

I have to ask - is there a place where all of the "after" photos have been stored? I"ll be honest, I'm having a difficult time telling the difference between groveraxle's "photos" and what is real!
September 5, 2013 at 11:11AM     
Lynne Forrestal
All the afters are not in yet, still working on the fine tuning... we've all been waiting on the edge of our seats to see the final results :)
September 5, 2013 at 11:20AM     
suzanne_m
You are right catieb, groveraxle does a so good job at photop that sometimes it is hard to differentiate her work from the reality.

I would say that when you see a picture, look at the commentator who posted the picture. If it comes from Rhonda then it is real. If it comes from groveraxle then it is her photoshop's work.
September 5, 2013 at 11:21AM     
suzanne_m
Kevin, I just saw your comment about lacking money to finish your bedroom ... you just need to ask Rhonda to do the shopping for you. She is an expert at finding deals :)
September 5, 2013 at 11:23AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I might as well check in, too! Hope all is well, Rhonda :-)
September 5, 2013 at 11:55AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hey Rhonda: was just thinking about you and thought I'd check in again. Hope everything is going well for you :-)
September 21, 2013 at 9:37AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Yes ! We are missing you !
September 21, 2013 at 11:08AM     
oneofeleven
I know none of us has met you but in some way we feel like a part of your family. I hope you and your "biological" family are alright and nothing tragic has stopped you in your tracks.
September 21, 2013 at 11:16AM     
PRO
Craftscape
Check out these products.
September 23, 2013 at 6:33AM   
PRO
Craftscape
www.craftscape.com/blue-vintage-vase.html http://www.craftscape.com/vase/roman-vase.html
September 23, 2013 at 6:38AM   
bwenk
How about painting the room all one color like Litchfield gray (BM) including paneling and adding a chair rail around the room where the paneling and wall meet and paint in white. Then add a new rug to floor and accent with pillows. Remove all the knick nacks and place them in a display area away from tv. If u like the look of adding something near tv then add candles on site of it. Buy a refurbished media console to put tv on repaint yours. The curtains could go stripe or solid but something with texture or light design. More like pottery barn stripe or solid. For kitchen u can draw color thru and paint cabinets in darker color. Paint trim. And change out fan. It feels like room need more of a light fixture. If it gets hot in there then add a fan around the room or a fixture that has a hidden fan. Lowes carries them. Good luck!
September 26, 2013 at 7:48PM   
bwenk
Simplify the walls. Put one wall with pictures in a grouping. They have brackets where frames can jut out from wall a little so that another frame can go behind. Maybe wood frames on most with a pop of silver on a few. The counter area could have stools added that swivel so that people can sit there join the conversation in the kitchen or family room. Now placement of furniture might be a bit difficult but hopefully there is a designer that comments and can give u help in that direction. Either way u need multifunction pieces. Chairs that can store or swivel. A coffee table that can store extra deleting or something else like throws. Heck get a media unit that can store your tv that way it doesn't block the window if u choose to keep there. If u move to another area maybe the picture collage can be on wall, media in front and then when tv is in use can come up in front of pics. :)
September 26, 2013 at 7:56PM   
oneofeleven
Can't believe this is still happening! Hey bwenk, scroll back to the initial question from the homeowner and note how long this link has been going and how many comments there are. If you have a burning desire to help look for some discussion with very few comments and then perhaps your advice will be fresh and appreciated.
September 26, 2013 at 8:00PM     
crcarter1
If you hate the paneling you can paint it. It looks great after painted. Paint above with contrasting color but not too bold.
September 26, 2013 at 8:08PM     
oneofeleven
That's a joke right?
September 26, 2013 at 8:18PM     
groveraxle
OK, one, deep breaths...in...out...
September 26, 2013 at 8:28PM     
vacox
I would do something about the paneling.... some one should help Rhonda! (wait, how do I know her name?)
September 27, 2013 at 3:39AM     
jayapple21
Happy Autumn, everyone. Even though we haven't heard from Rhonda for awhile, it's like touching base with family when you all check in to her post. Best wishes to Rhonda and her family!
September 27, 2013 at 7:19AM     
pegjustpeg
So glad we are all still excited to see the final unveiling! Can't help it. Have to check every day. Nothing like this thread and you all! Patience
September 27, 2013 at 3:09PM     
lmckuin
I keep checking in as well to see if there is an update. I'm so impressed with Rhonda and how open she was to change and making things happen and this entire community for all the help. What a great example of community!
October 1, 2013 at 1:38AM     
papoodles
I’m just commenting so that I will be sure to receive all the updates! I have tried( and failed) to read all 3000+ replies, but what is most amazing is that there is such nice camaraderie and a genuine helpfulness, as well as protectiveness towards the homeowner.It is wonderful!
The best of the internet can be experienced right HERE.
October 1, 2013 at 12:03PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Hi Rhonda, How are things going ? Miss you and all the group , Kev
October 21, 2013 at 9:51PM     
rhondagoodwin
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Nothing more has changed since my last post. Still have my old stairs ... Haven't proceeded on anything else... But here is a big hello to everyone and miss you all
October 22, 2013 at 4:19PM     
oneofeleven
Hi Rhonda, I'm sure we all breathed a sigh of relief that you're fine. What's left to do from the original ideas from way back when? You've come a long way from that original post and it's hard to believe the space you have now is the same one. Are you and your family enjoying the changes?
October 22, 2013 at 4:38PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hi Rhonda! Don't feel pressured - everybody just wants to check in and see how you're doing, I think!
October 22, 2013 at 5:13PM     
groveraxle
rhonda, good to hear from you. Glad to learn everything's ok, even if you haven't done anything new. You're one of our peeps now, so keep in touch!
October 22, 2013 at 5:57PM     
jabbott2012
Yay! So glad to see Rhonda post. Even though things are the same, how you feel about posting the latest pictures? There were so many old ones, it would be nice to have the current ones. Everyone is glad you're doing well :)
October 22, 2013 at 6:27PM     
carolins
Good to see that you're alright Rhonda :-)
October 23, 2013 at 3:32AM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hi Rhonda: I just happened to see this and thought of you!!!! http://www.worldmarket.com/product/woodlands-floor-lamp-base.do?page=2&from=fn
November 16, 2013 at 8:57PM     
oneofeleven
That's a cute one Kathryn
November 17, 2013 at 2:18PM   
suzanne_m
Hi Rhonda, how things are going? Have you done any changes since the last pictures you have posted?
Also, I know that you know how to put your own pictures on your ideabook. Can you tell me how? There is a houzzer that would like to do the same. Thank you.
February 15, 2014 at 1:17PM     
PRO
Cabinets & Designs
Hello,

Adding some white and trading the dark green curtains for a brighter and more modern colors would brighten up the room and change it! Possibly coral?

-Cabinets and Designs
July 21, 2014 at 1:28PM   
pegjustpeg
Cabinets and Designs, this post is long completed! When you have a week or two of free time, go back to the beginning and read a wonderful collaboration of pros and design enthusiasts helping Rhonda and her gracious family transform their living, & dining rooms and kitchen. It is well worth the time it takes to read!
July 21, 2014 at 4:07PM     
studio10001
Ditto for all your posts today, Cab.
July 21, 2014 at 4:28PM     
rhondagoodwin
HI All..... I've been busy, went from no work to two jobs not including my occasional cake decorating work.... Still haven't had a chance or money to get the stairs done yet.... Loving my new look though. Thank you again to all those who helped me.... You are all angels and I haven't forgotten any of you, I actually miss you all.... Hope all is well.
July 21, 2014 at 5:26PM     
jabbott2012
Good to see you post Rhonda. Would love some photos even if you're not finished.
July 21, 2014 at 8:26PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Rhonda, SO glad to hear from you! Sounds like you've been one busy lady - although, you were before, with your project! I know - a different kind of busy though. Glad to hear you're still cake decorating. I think we all miss you, too. Hopefully you'll be back when you get those stairs done (but we'd love to hear from you anytime)!
July 21, 2014 at 8:39PM     
groveraxle
Rhonda, glad all is well with you! We'll be here whenever you want to post pictures, or when you're ready for your next project. Keep well and keep us posted.
July 21, 2014 at 9:21PM