Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen update
tracytraylor24
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're buying this house and dislike the kitchen. Any ideas on updating?? The cabinets are nice-so would like to keep those. The island is too big so will be moved or taken out all together. We like the idea of having a bar or island for sitting/eating/prep area.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
To be honest, I can't see much with the lighting in your picture. I can't tell, for example, whether the cabinets are painted a light color or are a light stained wood, and I can't see the counter colors or the backsplash. Can you post a few more pictures, with better lighting if at all possible, and if not at least with some closer in shots on the kitchen's details?
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 4:13PM
tracytraylor24
This is one of the only ones I snapped as I quickly walked through w the current owner! I'll see what others I have! The counters are grey laminate and cabinets are light maple. Thanks for looking!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:56PM
charleee
My advice would be, if you're going to take out the island make sure the tile floor is underneath the island, and not just around it or you could end up replacing that area of the floor, too.
2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:03PM
camillealbert
I would like to see a dark granite or quartz counter top. Definitely remove the island. Maybe replace it with a smaller one. The wood does not need to match. Also the break in the floor from wood to tile has to go. Pick one or the other and do the entire floor the same. Can't comment on the lighting. Too hard to see. What is on the left? A refrigerator ??? Any way that can be set into the wall so it's not the first thing you see??
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:29PM
jane15
The kitchen cabinets look good along with the countertops. I can't tell what the backsplash is now but that is easy and relatively inexpensive to update with a new ceramic or glass tile, mosaic or large tiles. As far as reno, you can get a smaller butcher block type island or smaller island with cabinets. Or in my kitchen I removed the island and reused the pieces to build a peninsula out from the end of the existing cabinet. Reusing the island will keep the continuity and put barstools on the outside
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:53PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I don't see a problem with the island if that fridge can be recessed or replaced with a counter-depth fridge. From what I can see, other than the fridge, it looks like a very nice kitchen. If fridge must stick out, I agree with the others in replacing the island with a narrower freestanding or furniture-grade one without seating.
3 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:00PM
tracytraylor24
Thanks everyone for your input! I'll post pics when we're done!!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:37PM
Jayme H.
Agree that fridge is too far out/causing island problem! New cabinet hardware and lighting can go a long way also. Is there a ledge from the tile to the other floor? If so...I would get that fixed with a slanted trim piece.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 8:41PM