powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Long, narrow, room, with one wall of windows. Furniture placement?
beeb13
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a long narrow room on the back of our home, facing a river. The river facing wall has windows extending from the top to 3/4 of the way down the wall. It has two radiators jutting out on either end. The dimensions are: 26' x 8'. Each 8' end wall has a door (one to outside, one into the kitchen). The non-window wall also has an opening right next to the outside door. How do I place furniture in here as it serves as our TV/ family room? I have a rather large three seater leather sofa, a love seat, a leather chair and ottoman, and a 36" tv, with narrow stand. I have various end tables I can use here or not, but my dilemma is where to place these specific pieces so everyone can converse and or see the TV together. Thanks for any help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
I think I'd try centering the tv/console between the center of the two windows and moving the couch center with the tv. Then put the loveseat at the other end making a "L" with the sofa (leaving space to get to the back door. But, have the loveseat off from the wall with the console table behind the loveseat with a lamp. Remove the table/lamp from the tv wall and "center" the chair/ottoman to face the loveseat with the small round table on the right of the chair/ottoman. You will have an "open" space on the sofa wall, but will seem more spacious and not so long and narrow.
January 6, 2013 at 5:13pm   
ManLand LandMan
That's a great room! To much going on! Take all of it out and Re imagine!
January 6, 2013 at 5:16pm   
ManLand LandMan
Fan looks real cheap!
January 6, 2013 at 5:16pm   
beeb13
I guess I should have said that this is a military home and I have no control over the lighting or fan! Sorry! And replacing everything isn't an option for us financially, right now, but I appreciate your input.
January 6, 2013 at 5:22pm   
ManLand LandMan
Nobody said replace everything, the fan can stay. You still need a reimagine that space. Take all that crap out and slowly make a motif.
January 6, 2013 at 5:24pm   
betty71
Since you can't replace the furniture, I would flip the tv to the blank wall and add artwork, etc. Then, move the sofa in front of the long window wall and the love seat facing the kitchen at an L shape. I would move everything closer to the kitchen and then create a small sitting are in the far end that is facing the river view. Maybe the leather chair, that small accent table and another smaller accent chair. I would probably take the fan down and then put it back when you move. They don't care as long as it is the same when you move out as when you moved in. You can get a plate to cover it at the home improvement store for cheap.

We are also a military family and buying furniture is such a challenge. It has to be of medium size to have the ability to work in lots of different sized rooms. It is hard because I love huge furniture!
January 6, 2013 at 10:01pm     
Jayme H.
Can u mount the tv on a wall? I would attempt to center it near where the major seating area is..Thinking a higher wall mount would make it more visible to a larger area.You r a kind soul to appreciate rude comments, and apologize to them ..I am trying to figure out why people do that.
January 6, 2013 at 10:27pm