Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Flashback from the 50,s
dawnie1856
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We've lived in our house just over 2 years now. Our kitchen is small and dated. I used leftover peel and stick floor tiles as a backsplash until I figured out what I wanted to do with the cupboards. lol. I will take any advice given. Thank You
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
claudiann
Wow for a small space you have a lot of storage. Painting all of the cabinets would be one way to go but that would be a lot of work. They would look nice a creamy light tan. or you could paint the top a light color and the bottom ones a dark brown.You could also take off some of the doors of cabinets, say to the left of the sink and use an open shelf concept. I think you should add some color. I cannot tell if the legs of your table are blue or gray. I love both with tan and brown so maybe you could use one as an accent color. New hardware on your cabinets would be something you could do also.
January 6, 2013 at 5:31pm   
claudiann
Ps if you have a pretty view you might want to push your table against the back wall. It is always nice to look outside when you eat or just sit at the table.
January 6, 2013 at 5:34pm   
ManLand LandMan
How hard are you going to work for it. You don't seem that serious having a plastic fake plant in the corner. Step it up!
January 6, 2013 at 5:37pm   
feeny
Are you interested in replacing them? Or painting, refacing, or refinishing them? Painting them white and putting modern hardware on the doors would be a big improvement, but if you were interested in refacing, you could put framed glass doors on the entire upper level of cabinetry to open up the feel of the room more. Lots of options, but it all depends on your budget.
January 6, 2013 at 5:38pm   
dawnie1856
We recently have added an 8x10 red rug underneath the table. We have also replaced the dishwasher from white to stainless steel/w black trim.
January 6, 2013 at 5:42pm   
dawnie1856
@manland landman... I forgot to take the plant out before taking the picture..lol
January 6, 2013 at 5:45pm   
dawnie1856
@claudiann.. we don't even use the top cupboards for anything. @feeny I like the framed glass idea. Painting the cupboards a creamy tan color is growing on me. If I do a creamy tan on the cupboards, what color can I use for the walls? I have warm earth tones in the rest of the house. creams, spiced pumpkin, espresso and grays.
January 6, 2013 at 6:01pm   
feeny
Maybe a darker shade of the creamy tan? Or if you replace your counters with something multi-colored (can't really tell what you have from the photo), you can take an accent color from the countertop to use on the wall.
January 6, 2013 at 6:12pm   
claudiann
I would pick a color from your backsplash. Any of those you named would be nice if they were someplace else in the room. Since you have brought red and stainless into the room I think I might go with gray on the wall.
January 6, 2013 at 6:21pm   
dawnie1856
thank you feeny and claudiann will post pictures when everything is done..
January 6, 2013 at 6:41pm   
carolestrydom
I would paint the cabinets the same color as the chairs are.
January 7, 2013 at 5:48am