powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help decorating this window .......
suzdahl
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It had ugly fabric that doesn't go with the current bedding ..... was flat .... not poufy and just dumb. So i took the fabric down and now I'm left with these empty curtain hooks. This is a rental property, so I can't take them down. What could I do that would update the look?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christina's Interiors
Hi, I am an interior designer from Christina's Interiors UK and I would like to suggest trying frosted effect or stained glass peel off covering it is is simple to apply and just peels off no marks left and very reasonable to buy. A company in London called PEELS will send you small samples to play about with. Great for when the sun shines on it as you have a lovely sensory room too with the colours that are given off. I hope this is helpful. Christina
www.christinasinteriors.co.uk
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 6:10PM
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:15PM
suzdahl
I'm not concerned about the uncovered window .... the light isn't a problem ....... there is a "jungle" outside it and sunlight doesn't become a problem. It's the curtain tiebacks ...... what to do with them!?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:25PM
PRO
Christina's Interiors
have you considered fresch swags? Or, Roman blind or decorating each individual curtain hook with voile that hangs off it and if you used white voile it would look cool and it would be inexpensive to achieve the look.

Christina
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:33PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I'm thinking that you should take them off, save them and put them back on when you terminate your lease. :-)
2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:34PM
suzdahl
good idea ....... but would voile be poofy ..... is there a stiffer fabric with more body?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:40PM
raynel
Ah, no problem about an uncovered window, got it. I would remove them, also and put back up when you leave. If that is not an option, use them to hang your jewelry or scarves from. They do look quite large.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:40PM
suzdahl
You might be right!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:42PM
suzdahl
Probably the cheapest idea .... just take them off ....three months later put them up again! Sooo bad!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 6:45PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Or....find a very airy chiffon in a taupe or ivory--hoping you have ivory elsewhere in your room-or another light color. I would knot it loosely around each hook, hiding the hooks, and allow it to drape down loosely behind your headboard, creating a little feminine drama.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 6:48PM
suzdahl
Yes ....... not a bad idea ...... inexpensive too! Thank you!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:04PM
apennameandthata
I would use them as something to hang a rectangle curtain from. Preferably starting at almost ceiling height. The simplest way to get a rectangle there would be to hang a curtain rail off the top two hooks. You could have it go from there to the floor so it looked like a back layer of your bed head.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:10PM
suzdahl
Hummm ..... so hide the window entirely??
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 9:33PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a Hunter Douglas Duette Cellular Shade EASYVIEW Arch which is an operable arch treatment (goes up and down).
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/the-news/31-window-speak-learning-about-the-language-of-windows.html
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:37AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
On second thought If you don't need complete blackout I would recommend going with a shutter which can also be operable.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:38AM
suzdahl
This would be okay but expensive and this is a rental ........ I don't want to spend big dollars on a place that I'm only staying 3 months in!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:42AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
If I was only going to be there 3 months, light/privacy are not issues, I wouldn't even think about doing anything to the window.
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:57AM
suzdahl
Hummmmm ......
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:37AM
apennameandthata
Three months? Tape some news paper over it. No, its a rental: Blu Tak some newspaper over it.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:48AM
chelseabeagle
Those windows are so difficult - good luck with what you choose!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:57AM
Sue Ann Stevens
If you opt for the chiffon fabric to hide the hooks, just get a few pillows in the same and coordinating fabrics/colors for your bed and it will all look "on purpose". in looking at your bedding, the coral color may be pretty.

Have you thought about asking the landlord about removing the hooks? Maybe they would like them removed. We have had wonderful luck asking landlords about making changes to a house, and as landlords ourselves, we have allowed renters to make many (pre-approved) changes to a home we later sold. When in doubt.....ask. :-)
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:11AM
suzdahl
Taking some newspapers over it would look horrible ..... i'm trying to IMPROVE the look!!!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:10AM
tennisanyone
I would hide the window and do a wall to wall fabric behind the bed in something that picks up the bedding if you don't need the light coming in. Too hard to decorate around.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:19AM
suzdahl
Good idea but cost is a factor...... and wall to wall fabric would be allot of yardage and $$!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:22AM
tennisanyone
How wide is the wall? You can get pre-made curtain panels pretty inexpensively these days. Just read a few posts ago, if you are only staying for three months, then I would say live with it.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:25AM
suzdahl
14 feet wide with another tall skinny window to the left of the bed!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:30AM
michigammemom
If you don't need the natural light from the window, create a DIY canopy similar to the photo to conceal the window and hooks. Most fabric stores have sale prices on large remnants.
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:40AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
In Home Depot in the Decor section they sell films that you can put on the window. It comes in different colors and patters that would work it is super cheap and its very easy to stick on yourself.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:49AM
suzdahl
Cool Idea! Thanks!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:49AM
pearlgirl4022
I think the idea of making a canopy is the best solution of all. Just be sure to get a great fabric that coordinates with your bedspread. It might be something you can use when you move. Or live with it as someone suggested - three months isn't very long - save your money for your next place.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:09AM
suzdahl
Well this is the second winter we've rented it for 3 months ....... we might have it again for next year .... not sure ...... so if it was something i could use again!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:17AM
grayss
Get some colorful tissue paper to hang large flowers which compliment your bedspread and other accents in the room. Lots of instruction videos online, and very easy and fun to do.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 12:38PM
suzdahl
Now you're talking!
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 12:57PM
susan329
Your bed linens and headboard suggest a tropical theme - perhaps camouflage the pot rack with some foliage. http://www.joann.com/6-magnolia-leaf-garland-with-44-lvs-green/zprd_11514320b/ and use netting over the window. http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting/zprd_10173292a/ Hey - it's only for 3 months!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:07PM
vladik
How about hanging a large mirror or painting over it?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:54AM