Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Which rug????
kjdick
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ok I thought I wanted a green trellis(Moroccan) rug. Of late though I'm really taken with navy and its versatility. I can still do my color scheme I would have done with a green rug. The navy just seems to add another layer to the living room.

I always love green though. Grrrrrrghhh...
You know you think you know what you want. Then you start thinking too hard. : /
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
January 6, 2013 at 9:00pm     
orangecamera
I am having the exact same "problem"! And have been looking at the exact same rugs. I prefer the white with colored lines, vs the color with white lines. I think. :)

Also, when out looking at accessories all over the place, I've noticed that I can find a lot of different blue colors that all look nice together. But I've had a hard time finding lots of greens that look nice together. Also, I think I'll always be able to find blue accessories over the years, but lime green might become "dated". I don't mind that really, as I'm not a "trendy" person...but in 10 years it might be really hard to find new pillows and things when it's time to replace them.

So...the practical side of me is leaning toward blue.

What color are the walls in your room?
January 6, 2013 at 9:00pm   
lfootlik
Navy is much more classic
January 6, 2013 at 9:01pm     
orangecamera
deco, we were posting at the same time. Do you think it's too much to have a blue rug and green pillows at the same time?
January 6, 2013 at 9:02pm   
betty71
I would go with the navy. It is practically a neutral IMO. I also think you can choose a few items that you love in green and it will look great. Think pillows and tabletop accessories.
January 6, 2013 at 9:31pm   
Chandani
I'd go with the navy - less trendy.
January 6, 2013 at 9:38pm     
kjdick
The green pillows with navy rug actually look pretty sharp. So no, I don't think it's too much. I think you can find enough greens that go well together for accessories. Also add in some plants and the greens will really come together.

My first original choice was the ivory rug with green lattice to lighten up the room. We have dark oak trim with medium to light maple floors. I'm still looking to paint the walls the same light gray as the dinning room. The furniture will all be neutral. Whites and khakis. It will be a while till furniture and walls are done. :(

I never would have picked navy before thinking it was too dark. I'm amazed at how good it looks with so many different colors though. Of course my husband pointed out right away that the ivory/green rug will show everything our kids and dog have to offer. So as of now I'm leaning pretty hard to the navy!

Now the ikat (3rd pic) or the lattice in the navy? Love the lattice but that ikat rug I love more and more each time I review them.

This first picture just imagine a navy rug. Pretty, I think!
January 6, 2013 at 9:47pm   
charro534
Navy, green pillows. Navy lattice rug.
January 6, 2013 at 10:14pm   
Natalie
Love this pic... Green walls, navy lattice rug, soft blue colored accessories... Add in pops of colors such as plum pink, periwinkle, lilac, and lavender to keep the room from looking and feeling cold. Good Luck![houzz=
]
January 6, 2013 at 10:40pm     
Aja Mazin
Navy.
January 7, 2013 at 12:01am   
bellandromeda
I like navy better. Simple and elegant.
January 7, 2013 at 12:44am   
apennameandthata
Do a mood board. The rug colour is neither here nor there but the question is what it goes with.
January 7, 2013 at 1:44am   
charleee
Navy as your primary, with green accents.
January 7, 2013 at 2:46am   
feeny
Agree with others: navy rug, green accents (pillows, etc.)
January 7, 2013 at 3:43am     
nasenmann
I think for this room both navy and lime work very well so tough decision, indeed. On the green = trendy / fad, I don't agree. Green, the colour that symbolizes nature like no other, is every bit as timeless as blue. Personally I'm a huge fan of browns+greens+white-combos!
January 7, 2013 at 4:23am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Defnitely navy! Much more classic and timeless. You can still have your green accents.
January 7, 2013 at 5:49am   
kjdick
Well Navy seems to be the clear winner. Blues turned me off a few years ago so, I was resistant to use any blue again. Navy seems to be in it's own category.
I had found some good pics last night and lost them right away when I did I another search. Here some others that are nice though.
So, OrangeCamera is it green or Navy for you?
January 7, 2013 at 2:00pm     
kjdick
One more :)
January 7, 2013 at 2:01pm   
orangecamera
Well, my walls are being painted orange this week. And I have a dark brown sofa. I'm leaning toward a blue rug, and bringing in the green with large-leafed potted plants. I can play around with different colored pillows after I get the big pieces in place. Adding green pillows and accessories may be a bit much...or might look brilliant!
January 7, 2013 at 3:20pm     
PRO
LM Designers
Why not navy for winter then green for summer. Change it up for fun.
January 7, 2013 at 4:06pm     
tiffanyfrye13
Blue with white lines looks great!
January 7, 2013 at 5:12pm   
tiffanyfrye13
However, if you add in the green pillows & plants like you say then, the green rug will look AWESOME!
January 7, 2013 at 5:13pm   
orangecamera
Oh thanks! Now I'm unsure again! LOL.
January 7, 2013 at 6:31pm     
tiffanyfrye13
I do think that the green is very Spring/Summer and the blue however would be an all year round thing. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the blue rug and white lines.
January 7, 2013 at 6:37pm     
tiffanyfrye13
And add some green with the plants and maybe some throw pillows. :)
January 7, 2013 at 6:39pm     
anitajoyce
Go with your gut feeling and use the navy. Since your walls will be orange, the orange and blue compliment each other. And using green in the plants is a great idea.You can always add pillows or others accessories that have green, blue and orange in them (like pillows, candles, artwork, etc). Good luck and please post pictures.
January 7, 2013 at 6:56pm     
kjdick
Here's the one I found through rugsusa.com . The 65% off sale has been extended till 1-10. I switched to this one since it's a deep navy and not to bright. I've found too many navy rugs saying they're navy and they are more on the royal or cobalt blue side.
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-hawa-moroccan-trellis/navy/200HJHK27A-508.html

A little sad to let go of green since I love green. Plants, accessories, and my green dresser in the adjoining entry should lock it all in though.
I do like that idea about the green rug for summer though. :) don't think that's going to fly with the hubby. Darn!
January 7, 2013 at 8:38pm     
orangecamera
Ooh, I like it! Thanks for the heads up about the sale! What size did you get?
January 8, 2013 at 4:47am   
anitajoyce
Nice rug.
January 8, 2013 at 2:38pm   
kjdick
I'm going with a 5 x 8 since our room isn't terribly big. We had an 8 x 10 in the room before and it was too much. Much happier to go with a smaller(cheaper) rug to anchor the sitting area and add in some work stations in the room too.
What size are you looking at?
On a related topic. Should I just go with a solid rug in the entry? The rugs will at the most only be 8' apart. Also am I completely bonkers for wanting to do an ivory rug in the entry? We have a full closed in porch with a rug out there to catch the dirt. I can't think of anything else that would look as nice.

The two rugs together
January 8, 2013 at 4:40pm   
orangecamera
I'm looking at a big rug, maybe 9x12. Haven't moved in yet, so until I have my furniture arranged I don't want to order the rug. I need it for the bigger "half" of a great room that also has the dining room (which will not have a rug).

Well, hm...ivory in the entry. Good question. Is that a very large or expensive rug? If not, I'd say go for it, with the idea that if it turns out to be a mistake, you'll replace it and not stress over it. That rug is beautiful. I can't find it on rugsusa, what's it called? I really like the tone-on-tone! In the picture it looks like zebra, until I enlarged the picture and see it looks like wood grain.
January 8, 2013 at 5:04pm   
kjdick
Here's the link for the wood grain rug. I'm thinking I'll go with it since it's a good deal with my groupon at rugsusa. Like you said if it doesn't work then I'm not out much.
If are not buying right now then definitely get on their email coupon list. There's alway another sale right around the corner.
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/bombay-rugs-contemporary-handmade-wool/ivory/D1232059-33053.html
January 8, 2013 at 8:01pm     
Natalie
Excellent choice kjdick...
January 8, 2013 at 8:08pm     
orangecamera
Now I'm looking at this one. Thoughts anyone?
January 9, 2013 at 5:21am   
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I vote for navy for the rug. I think this will play nicely with all sorts of colors down the line.
January 9, 2013 at 5:28am     
kjdick
I do like the colorful circles too. I noticed it every time I was looking through the website for rugs.
Just depends on your personality and what you like. If you like things more colorful go for the fun colorful one. I still lean to the navy for me. I keep looking at design pictures and I can easily plop the navy rug into so many arrangements.
If you like something brighter then go for it. The most important opinion is yours for you house. :)
January 9, 2013 at 6:03pm   
orangecamera
Thanks kjdick. I do love the circle one. Very disappointed that it's not part of the wonderful 65% off sale. If it was, I would have ordered it tonight. At full price, I will have to wait until a bunch of other things are done and paid for, before I know if I have enough left in my budget.

I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow, you never know! (wish me luck)

If I don't wind up with this one, I'm really leaning toward navy.

I'm moving just over a week from now, so I really have to stop looking at rug sites, and finish up packing!
January 9, 2013 at 6:15pm   
orangecamera
Heads up too, I don't think that wood patterned one is part of the sale either. Better call to confirm before you get your heart set (and broken).
January 9, 2013 at 6:18pm   
kjdick
I have the wood grained rug covered with a groupon. They have rugsusa.com deals pretty regularly on Groupon.com. So if yo fail to find some coupons on their site then that's another avenue for a good deal. Thanks for checking. Best of luck with the moving too!
January 9, 2013 at 8:15pm