Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for deck and/or pergola
dw0lvert0n
January 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small lot that slopes away from the house with a small 10X10 flagstone patio at the bottom of the steps now. I would like to use Trex for low maintenance. It's in the country by the forest so simple is good. I don't know if the bay window roof would make a pergola hard to configure.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lwilson126
Build the deck the same height as the bottom of siding. No stairs needed from door. Remove and reuse stairs to go into yard. The deck should run the entire width of your house.adds great living space.
January 6, 2013 at 10:40pm   
dw0lvert0n
Thanks for your ideas.
January 6, 2013 at 10:53pm   
houssaon
You can configure a pergola to go over a deck. If you do a deck that goes the whole length of the house and configure the pergola to allow for the bay, you'll need more support posts.

Here are some grand designs: Menlo Park Outdoor Entertainment Area, Tudor Exterior, Terrace and pergola, Gabriel Builders, Norwood Residence, and Entry Pergola.
January 6, 2013 at 10:56pm   
Jayme H.
Are u planning on the pergola roof being open or do u plan to close it? A contractor will be the one to let u know how to align a pergola to the home correctly. It appears the roof above the bay window has a pitch to it (and the roof line seems to extend out past the rest of the roof line), ..this likely will come into consideration...a "jog" in the roof line of the pergola could build it around the window if done nicely it should not be noticeable from the front. I think it could be done...believe it is necessary to find a good, recommended carpenter and go from there.
January 6, 2013 at 10:58pm   
dw0lvert0n
Open, I think.
January 7, 2013 at 10:26am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You could have the pergola self standing. Do not have it attached to the house at all.
January 7, 2013 at 10:29am   
dw0lvert0n
I also am not sure where to put the stairs so to not cover the stone at the bottom...I like the look of a wide stairway. Guess it wouldn't have to be centered or could have a bend in it.
January 7, 2013 at 10:31am   
lwilson126
Dont design this around the stone. It is not an important feature and too small. Concentrate on the deck.this will add considerable value to your home. $$$$$
January 7, 2013 at 10:28pm   
lwilson126
When you run the deck along the entire back side of the house the whole home will appear larger. Just be sure to make it wide enough, at least 12 feet or more. If you plan on a BBQ area plan it before, as you may want a gas hook up and a place where the smoke wont come into the door of the house. Also an electrical plug outlet is essential somewhere. If you dont want it to be straight you can configure it to follow the bay window cut out. Center the stairs down to the yard and make them at least 6 ft wide. It is a softer more comfortable look.
I would consider using the white PVC railing too. You can use post/rail or rail with glass. Caution: The Home Depot PVC fencing or rails are not good quality. Find someone like Hoover Fence online that rep a better product.
Plan your seating area. I prefer using outdoor sofas with a cocktail table. L shaped or 2 facing one another are nice and cozy. Check out Costco Internet ordering for great prices on outdoor furniture. If you dont like it you can take it back to any Costco store.
Plan a dining area. Table Chairs, Umbrella, ..maybe kids area too.
This is why you need to make your deck large and livable, as it is an extension of your home.
January 8, 2013 at 4:14pm     
lwilson126
This is our deck (with aqua pillows) in Seattle. We constructed the deck from wood then laid charcoal architectural concrete tiles (16" sq) over the wood frame. (see Mutual Materials website) You use little round plastic level pieces in each corner. You can remove any of the tiles too. I hate wood decks; it is like having a wood boat. Labor intensive and costly. This deck was less money than Trek types..
January 8, 2013 at 4:18pm   
decoenthusiaste
Limit the pergola to the left side over the triple window area and leave the bay side open.
January 8, 2013 at 4:54pm