Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cutting the heat without losing the view
photogirlla
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought a house in Southern California and the master bedroom has a huge custom window with great views, but it faces south. While it's cold this is wonderful but it is going to be very unpleasant when it is 70° outside -- it will be 90 inside. What kind of window coverings could I get to save the view and cut the heat? I was thinking plantation shutters, but that would definitely be a custom job and our money is tight as the bathrooms and kitchens also need help. The previous owner had floor-to-ceiling curtains which I couldn't stand the pattern of, so I turned them inside out for the time being, they are thermal. Would several layers of white thermal and silks work? Are there any kind of see-through shades or curtains that are known to cut heat but still allow you to see out? I want the room to be pale blue whites and silvers. Any ideas welcome. Last shot is view from my bed. And yes I'm going to get rid of the big cherry fan and curtain rods, replace them with white or silver, though a the fan will clearly be a necessity.
Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
designideas4me
I live in so. cal. too. The hot part.......inland. I put on heat and light reflective tinting. You can get it at home depot. Its cheap. Gives a nice subtle darkening effect and keeps the heat out.
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:23AM
designideas4me
Hey another thing I did was get shade screens made for many of the windows that face south. It cuts the heat too. Also the people who used to own the house had valances made for outside the windows to cut heat but it was too traditional for me but I bet they make lots of styles now.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:28AM
designideas4me
But if you are in the IE you know its in the 100s in the summer and you need a/c and blinds really to keep that heat out and the bills down. no other solution to that sun.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:30AM
charleee
We did the same thing as designideas4me (the window film), it's made a huge difference in the amount of heat that comes into that side of the house. I'm in NorCal, and last year the temp hit 113 for two weeks straight. The windows were in better shape than I was, that's for sure.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:31AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would suggest going with a Cellular shade it will defiantley help keep the heat out. Hunter Douglas makes a cellular shade in the arch windows above to match the bottom of the window . I recommend the cellular because its not very expensive it looks amazing and the heat and light control its amazing!!
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:02AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
designideas4me, has it right. I use it all the time for my clients in FL.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:05AM
Kira Nguyen
Have you considered using Solar Shades? I've heard that they're good at keeping heat out without completely losing the light and view. I'd definitely look into it as an option! :)
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Blue!
Help. Most of my home is Ben Moore's Sherwood Tan....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need HELP with Kitchen. Just bought house
I had a white kitchen in my old house so these cabinets...
Exterior paint color for old Dutch house
Hi . . . I wanted to throw this out there to see what...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.