Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to paint my trey ceiling?
Sara Nicole
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just had our house built and the bonus room has a trey ceiling. It is a pretty large space, we painted the walls and first layer of the ceiling with Benjamin Moore Annapolis Gray and I am trying to decide what color to paint the ceiling. I am thinking a light off white/cream color, we will be putting crown moulding in the trey as well. The room is too large to take a pic of the whole thing so here is a corner that shows the Annapolis Gray and ceiling. Any suggestions or opinions would be great! :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would use the Annapolis gray cut down to maybe 50-60% and yes, put in some moulding and paint it the color of the other trim.
January 8, 2013 at 8:31am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would definitely paint the next vertical portion with the wall paint.
January 8, 2013 at 8:46am   
englishaccent
Since you are not going high drama with the trey ceiling, I would continue the same color. This is called enveloping. If that is the crown molding I see at the lower right side of the picture , you are adding enough attention to the trey with that. I fear if you leave the ceiling lighter and add the molding, you will create the illusion that the ceiling is heavy. When you envelope it makes the ceiling look higher since their is no visual line with contrast paint so adding the crown molding will already be adding enough.
January 8, 2013 at 9:04am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.