Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with color to reupholster chairs
Maryann Oppito
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
my living room colors are red and gold. My sofa is a damask fabric (red & Gold) two chairs are gold with red dots.
I have two wingback chairs in room that need to be reupholstered, I am not sure if I should do them in red or bring in a different color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Are you upholstering the two wingbacks or the small chair? I think you have enough red with the sofa and wainscot. For the wingbacks I'd try a gold and cream stripe and a solid cream for the small chair. Use the wall color to help match. Please consider drapery panels while shopping for fabric. Stationery ones at each window would warm and soften the space.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:29AM
PRO
ECOterior Solutions
I think a large scale stripe would be a great look. Tone on tone gold stripe or a gold and cream would be a nice accent to the room.

As far as bringing in another color do this with pillows. With accent color being on pillows when you mood changes you can just change the pillows out. Lots of options!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's definitely time to add another color to the room. I agree that a stripe would work well for you. But I'd select a stripe that has not only your red and gold in it, but also blue or green or both. A velvet would be nice. If the wing back chairs have nice legs under their skirts, consider not putting a skirt on them when you reupholster them. Add a pillow in the striped fabric to the sofa, plus a couple of solid ones in the new colors. The stripe need not be as bold as the one shown below, but I like the colors.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:59AM