Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Valence and panels OR just panels?
sherri404
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a new family room with 4 windows (a big tv will be between the 2 windows pictured). I picked out a tapestry fabric that will be used for color and blocking the sun occasionally. I can't decide if I should get valences and panels or just panels. Any thought? And if I hang a 96" panel over the window casing it will overhang the heat registers. Is that ok? Or should I get 84" panels to hang over the window casing that would hang above heat?

Thanks!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JMittman Designs
What kind of heat are your heat registers? I would check with your fire marshall. I would be tempted to do roman shades or woven wood shades on these windows if you are concerned about the heat registers. You can add stationary panels for added color/warmth. Valances are not going to provide any sun blocking.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:15AM
sherri404
It is forced hot water with baseboards.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:17AM
sherri404
I would put the valence and panels on different rods so I could pull panels closed. Just wondering if valences are needed or just panels would look good?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:19AM
decoenthusiaste
I would not do panels or valences but fabric roman blinds inside mounted. Keep fabric away from the baseboard heat and still use the tapestry fabric. You might want to have a few pillows made with it to pull the color into the room on your seating pieces.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:27AM
sherri404
I thought panels would be better to add more "movement" to the room since there's already lots of "lines" with all the windows? Not to mention roman shades for the 4 windows would be $$ (windows are 52" wide by 64" long inside the casing). That said.. I think I have to keep the panels above the heat based on what I'm reading. Could I go with 64" panels or would short panels look funny?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:48AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Short panels will look odd. If you want to have them to the floor hang them out from the wall far enough that they stand away from the registers at least 3" this then will be fine with hot ware heat. Do not do this with electric base boards.
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:54AM
sherri404
Thanks for the feedback! If I didn't try to get something for blocking the sun .. Would just valences look ok? Or are the windows too big for just valences? I'm shying away from roman shades because it is a big investment and wouldn't be able to change fabrics easily for seasons. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:03AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Please, please don't do short panels in your new house. :) I still want you to check with your fire marshall, but most likely your only concern with functioning panels and these registers would be that you would block the heat when they are closed. That is why I suggested stationary panels, not functioning ones. Have you looked at woven wood shades?
To add to my answer--valances--do you have a pic of the fabric? Paint color?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
Sue Ann Stevens
There are some nice Roman shades through JCPenney and Country Curtains. JCP looks to have a variety of price ranges from $15 on up.

I would also check Lowe's (or such). We bought some really neat Roman Shades from there which have a sheer fabric option and black out fabric. You can pull them all the way up, drop the sheer only with the fabric as a "valance" or drop the black out Roman shades.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 9:07AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Valances will look fine on their own.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:16AM
sherri404
These are the panels I like. We are thinking Standish White (Benjamin Moore) for wall color.. kind of a creamy beige. Floors are butter rum hardwood. Furniture is a mocha (med brown) sectional. No rug yet.. waiting to see what we do for color in the curtains to add the color in curtains and rug. Most likely green, gold, brick color scheme.

Any thoughts on a specific roman shade that would fit these size windows would be great!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:19AM
hamburgerbudget
I would not compromise the effectiveness of your heating system, by covering it up or impeding the performance of it, in anyway. You can get the same effect with shades made of your fabric with a combo of many choices for valances.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:29AM
feeny
I'm not a fan of valances, so I'd vote for either roman shades or drapery panels alone (full length, but not puddling).
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:29AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
An inside mount shade would most likely have to be custom, and as you said, $$$. Why dont you consider an outside mount woven wood shade the width of the window--could be a couple more inches each side, and then have stationary panels flanking.
Have to say I am not in love with the paint choice. Would like to see more color. Hopefully Natalie will pop in. She always has great paint selections.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:08AM
sherri404
Woven shades is an interesting idea. But then how/where do I add more color. The room is 23' x 23' feet so I'm afraid of going with a lot of color on the walls. Rest of the house is earthy tones. I'm open for suggestions...
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:17AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I missed the mocha brown section thing. Ok. Paint color works with curtain panels--no to the valance though!--looks cheap (IMHO!) Add some fun throw pillows w/interest pulling colors from the panels--textured etc., You could also do a lighter solid color panel--think linen, or linen look. I have dark living room furniture and have buttery yellow curtain panels. When do you move in?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:33AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I see you don't have any idea books. You need to scroll through some of the rooms and see what you like and put them in idea books--you will see you are drawn to particular themes--it will start to come together!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:34AM
sherri404
They are starting the floor this week and paint in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping we can use the room in a month. It's an addition.

I think valances will not be enough. Im thinking panels w rod extenders will end up just as much as roman shades anyways? Will look for ideas to put in an idea book, too.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:45AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I do agree. Your room is big enough too. I found a couple of pictures you may like. The first one is to show you some deep color on the walls in what may be your color scheme. The second one shows outside mounted woven shades with panels. And if you look, they have them installed high above the window--this makes the windows look taller. I would work up a budget for what you want. You can always do this in stages if too much at once. And don't forget to seek the advice of a professional in your area! Country Chic Family and Media Room Living Room

p.s. Rod extenders? Are you referring to curtain rods?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 11:02AM
sherri404
I like the woven shades. Also I looked at jcpenney and their roman shades are reasonable prices. Maybe I could DIY and put a fabric over? The window and trim measure 64" across so I think I'd need 70" roman shades.

Ps.. Rod extender is the curtain extender to make the panels hang at least 3" from the wall to not hang on heat baseboards.

I'm still considering a darker paint... Looks nice.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Hmm, I responded to this but I guess it did not post. What you are calling rod extenders are brackets. :) Many curtain hardware lines have brackets that can extend to the projection you need. Also, if you don't find one you like, you can purchase L brackets in the hardware store for your curtain brackets--this is ONLY when your brackets won't show! I'd try to get a shade 68" wide. If you are not comfortable going it alone, be sure to seek the advice of a local professional. Post another picture after your paint is on, Have fun with your idea books!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:46PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
If your baseboard heat is hot water, you should be able to hang draperies over them without any problem. I think your windows would benefit from stationary panels hanging each side of your window to add some vertical lines and height, and if they are each end of the window, they will not block any heat from entering the room. I would hang rods all at the same height around the room, which would be where the ceiling starts to bend on the right hand side window. Valances on their own effectively chop the walls in height .
I think woven shades under the panels would look great and add some texture to the room.

I know you said you had chosen a tapestry fabric for the drapes, but check with whoever is making them as many tapestry fabrics are not suited to drapery panels.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:27PM
sherri404
I have been looking at pictures for my idea book.What about cornice board over woven shades? I'm still hoping I could make the long panels work. Hanging them at the end of the window meaning I would position the rods wider than the actual window so the panel covers some wall, too?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:47PM
sherri404
To update.. I asked the fire marshal in town and he said we are fine to have full length panels that cover a little of the forced hot water heating baseboards.

New question... If I go with the panels, should I hang the curtain rods so that you see all of the window and the panels hang on the outside perimeter of the trim (with no trim showing) so the curtains will reach over to the corner of the room? There is 19 inches between the corner and the two windows that abut the corner. The space on the big wall is 108" so plenty of room for the TV and to stretch the curtains out 19" on the big wall, too. Thanks!!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:27AM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You should only extend your rods about 8" each side of the window, depending on the width of fabric that you will have in each panel. If you get 2 widths of fabric per panel, they will take up approx 12" of space on the rod when stacked. You want a little of the fabric on the glass..I don't think you want to have these totally off the glass? I would not take the rods the full 19" to the corner, that would look wrong.
In terms of height, hang them where the ceiling starts to bend on the right hand wall windows, and hang rods ALL at the hieght in the room.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:33AM
sherri404
OK.. thank you!! Great advice to hang where the wall bends!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:44AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I have to chuckle as I looked at your idea book--that brown/red pic is one I almost pulled for you, but since it did not thave panels I did not. I think you will be very happy with panels as Julie suggested and woven woods. Also, do make sure you get a two width panel--most ready mades are single width, these will be too skimpy for your windows. You want the curtains to "look" like they will close completely--one width won't give that appearance.
Your room is going to be great. You must be very excited for it to be done!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 8:00AM
lpiemonte
Beautiful open room. Lovely light from windows.
The varying heights of your ceiling above your windows would be prettiest with simple panels on either side of window. They should be hung at the height of your lowest ceiling, several inches above the windows all around. No valances, they will only fight with the windows not enhance them.
I recommend hanging functional lined panels say 5-6 inches outside of the frame, so that they do not encroach upon your view when open, and shut to insulate, or darken for movie night. That should still leave plenty of room in-between for your TV and table etc.
Is there any way you can take back the valance and drapes shown?
They make a generic statement. Maybe you feel this and that's why you chose to ask for suggestions.
That could be a color you choose for your walls if its in your new drape pattern.
Any of hundreds of pretty prints would add warmth and interest to the room and give you a jumping off point because they will have the colors you like in them, and can use in the rest of the room. Take some time and look at fabrics you love to use for drapes.
What are you planning for the floor?
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 8:15AM
sherri404
Thanks lpiemonte! I haven't bought the panels yet. I've looked at fabrics but nothing jumped out at me yet. I would like a paisley or floral pattern. The floors are a butter run hardwood and we bought a mocha (med beige) sectional. I'd like a sage, gold, brick theme to match the traditional earthy tones in the house already. Hoping to add color with panels, rug and pillows.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 8:48AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Examples in those colors/patterns
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 9:38AM
sherri404
JMittman.. I love all of these!! Did you find these on a fabric website? Perfect!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 10:07AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Please, call me Janet. :) Yes, these came from two different sites: www.greenhousefabrics.com and www.estout.com. These are trade sites--meaning general public cannot purchase, but you can search for patterns you like and print them out. Where are you located? I represent both these lines and would be happy to help you if you wanted to pursue, or could possibly point you to someone local to you?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:08AM
sherri404
Thanks Janet! I'm in MA. I need to convince my husband about red... they are very pretty!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:45AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Ok. You can email me too, if you have any questions. If you need local help, I have a FABULOUS contact in MA! Be sure to post a pic and keep us updated.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:30PM
sherri404
Here is the after picture. Thank you for all the advice! I love how it came out! I bought brackets that extend 7 inches so I'm not worried about the curtains hanging near the baseboard. The curtains don't touch them. Really happy I used just the panels and hung them high on the wall. Thanks again!
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 6:35AM
sherri404
Another picture
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 6:40AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Yay! You moved in! It is hard to see the color in the panels. Is it some kind of green print? Now you need to play with those panels a bit and "dress" them. Try pulling them straight from the top in various places--all the way to the bottom. That will help them lay straighter, which makes them look nicer. --or can you iron or steam them?

You are off to a good start. Congratulations on the new home. Good luck.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Help with Return
how do i return an item if i bought the wrong thing?...
misskyanne
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
rredpenn
Can a Slide-In range be treated like a Freestanding range?
I like the look of having no back panel to the range...
Piff
Help please to decide on the design of our master bath
I have attached the current dimensions and the current...
copy11
I need help with a new color for my 1958 cottage
Bought this adorable 816 sq. ft cottage on 9 acres...
smluv
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.