Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room flow
Amy Justice
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The front door will be to the lower left of the screen and we'll have a small dining set by the kitchen, other than that we are kind of clueless as to how to create a flow-y living space. I.e. where to put the entertainment system, couches (we are thinking a sectional). Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ervinedesign
Is this an existing house or new plans? Personally the layout isn't exactly ideal for the free flowing spaces your trying to achieve. To begin the kitchen is walled up confining space making it less spatially open and is put into a corner of the room. This leaves your living space very long and narrow creating a difficult space to furnish correctly.
January 7, 2013 at 10:19AM     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, the kitchen is closed off from the living areas. The only wall space is on the left side of the living room.

The main door of the house looks to be in the lower middle part by the closet, unless you are planning to change it to the lower left corner. I would actually add a small half wall to separate the entry a bit from the living room.
January 7, 2013 at 11:06AM     
Amy Justice
Thank you for the response! These are new plans for our house which is actually being built right now, the walls are up so there isn't much changing we can do in that regard. The kitchen wall nearest the living room is actually a half wall. We wanted to keep that spot open so you can see directly into the kitchen from the front door, also the closest off the front door is not there any longer and is going to be an open space. I'll attach a picture of what we are aiming for. I'm not sure if that will make much difference but any suggestions would be great! Thank you for the help.
January 7, 2013 at 11:08AM   
houssaon
I would position the sofa with its back to entry way facing left. Then one chair by the window and one near the dining area. Another option is to have the sofa under the windows flanked by one set of chairs facing left and another chair facing right. Coffee table in the middle, one floor lamp and one end table with lamp.
January 7, 2013 at 11:34AM     
Amy Justice
Great suggestions.... we were toying with the idea of having the couch against the wall (under the window) but were unsure about where chairs would go. I think that would also help separate the entry way. I like the lighting idea as well...Thanks again!
January 7, 2013 at 11:38AM   
ervinedesign
Okay we'll despite the layout issues which we clearly can't now I think the best option for this layout is a corner sofa suite. With an L shape you can arrange it to either the left of right side of the room. The cloak image is a nice idea too. Hope the house turns out the way you want it. Enjoy
January 7, 2013 at 11:40AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Use a sectional with a left side chaise.
January 7, 2013 at 11:46AM     
Amy Justice
Modern Sectional Sofas design by Los Angeles Furniture And Accessories VIOSKI
[houzz=
]

I think something like this could work really well in that space. It gives the "wall" feeling that separates the entryway from living space and also gives us the entire left wall to position the entertainment system. Any thoughts?
January 7, 2013 at 12:24PM