Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
sports bedroom window treatment
dribbles
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am in the midst of changing my 10 year olds room from trains to basketball. Any ideas for the window treatment? the other picture is just an idea of what the entire room looks like. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hollybaumgartner
Just had the craziest thought - how about drilling a hole thought the middle of old basketballs and thread them onto a rod? Ha!
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 10:59AM
susanmitch
You could put up a wooden valance. Paint it in the dark color that is below the chair rail and then draw a basketball court on it. When your son outgrows the room, all you have to do is repaint it.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 11:00AM
dribbles
has anyone seen or done the valance look using pennants? Thats kind of what i had floating in my mind but never really seen it done
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:24PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
How about building a valance out of two wood dowels. And male it like a ball rack. Buy some small basket balls and fill the ball rack with them across the top of the windows. Boys don't like drapery panels anyway so I would skip that and do a cooler roman shade.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:32PM
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
Even though this is a boy's room, you still need some softness and feminine energy for it to feel balanced. They typically will feel a bit flat with all hard surfaces, so a fabric treatment would be best and your pendant idea looks great when done well. This one is nice because it's simple and uses a contrast color as the background so it has more visual weight and is softer. The window looks to be an average size, so you may be able to find a pre-made valance and just adhere pendants to it.
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:43PM
PRO
LM Designers
White plantation shutters are timeless.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 4:00PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would actually recommend going with a Room Darkening Cellular Shade in a neutral colour. I would suggest going with a Top Down Bottom Up option. Its great for bed rooms and it will fit nicely inside your window frames. It will give you all the light control and privacy you need for your sons room. The best part about this blind is its timeless you can change up the decor and the blinds cal always stay.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 4:04PM
smldesigns
I would go with a natural woven shade that matches the wood in the dresser. It will grow with him and if it's not as thematic as you'd like add the pennants as seen above.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 4:17PM
apennameandthata
I like what ModaScapes said. To me, there is a risk that the room's theme decorations will be too small and too many. I suggest you cover the window with a basketball singlet you make up in Hagrid's size and layer the look with a string of pennants in front of it. Or, you could have a very shallow elipse, like a hoop seen from an angle, and cover the window with a huge baskeball net curtain, with the space between the ropes of the net filled with fabric. I would go from almost ceiling to the floor with the window treatment.

I see a light fitting. You could have a huge ball light fitting. Either paint some stripes on an orange ball, or better yet, have globe surrounded by a frame in the shape of a ball's hems, about 2' in diameter, so it looks like a giant ball skeleton.

The tallboy looks a bit orange, so you could paint somt black stripes on it like it was a segment from a huge orange basketball. I would make sure that the lines were exactly accurate for a huge basketball and were at angles and in appropriate arks.

I would have some whimsey to balance out the literal basketball stuff. You deserve for him to do the washing up at least specific days now. Too, its great he does sport.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 4:27PM
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
Here is an idea used in a baseball room I worked on. You could do the same with basketball pennants. We built a box to put around the top of the room, painted it, then used a staple gun to attach the pennants.
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:03PM
tennisanyone
I would do drapes in a color of his favorite team only because in a few years when he is a teenager, he will want to sleep late and will like his room dark. Although cute now, he will probably outgrow the pennants. Just like he went from trains to basketball. Drapes will take him through the teenage years. I would take down that small basketball player next to the window. The scale is off. Why is the dresser on an angle. Can you take a picture of the whole room?
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 5:27PM