Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need interior ideas with a project on the California "Lost Coast"
Darrell McDaniel
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for suggestions on the interior of a 5 unit Inn. The exterior is 95% complete but the interior is only roughed in. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Wow! That is a great lot. I would think you would want to stay with the "Big Sur" look California beach casual. The examples of this look are everywhere. I would so love to be your Interior Designer on this project. I would love to do a new twist to that overly typical look that all the SoCa designers do. This is the type of project you should leave up to a professional and not a DIY endeavor. Please contact me. either from this site or at my website wwwidesignintl.com
January 7, 2013 at 11:19am   
decoenthusiaste
Here's a thought... Hoping all your bedrooms in the units face the water and are comfy as these look to be. As a vacation rental manager, I'd have no problem selling these water views.
Mastro Residence
Bellevue House
Bedroom
January 7, 2013 at 11:31am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The above looks are great and are good examples of the typical SoCa look that I would love to tweak and make it more of an original statement.
January 7, 2013 at 11:34am     
Darrell McDaniel
Thank you for the comments. I have 57 windows on the project with every one having a view of the Pacific Ocean. I'll attach a pictures of the viewsfor your review. Darrell
January 7, 2013 at 11:52am   
Darrell McDaniel
I apologize for the typos from my earlier post. Here are a few more pictures for your review. Darrell
January 7, 2013 at 12:05pm   
mjmil
Your location and views are absolutely fabulous. It would be a wonderful place to stay. For such a beautiful Inn I agree with Interiors International that a professional designer would be the best way to go at this point. Love what you are doing!
January 7, 2013 at 9:35pm     
designideas4me
Did you say that this property is located in Big Sur?
ok I looked it up. Hope you dont mind if I post a link. I live in california but was not familiar with that term or location. I also found a few pics of other Inns in that area which I am sure you are aware of but people reading the discussion may find helpful to help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Coast
http://innofthelostcoast.com/

well I dont really have suggestions I was just curious where this was located, having driven along the coast a few years back and Big Sur at night in the rain scared me to death and there were no rooms left at any hotels til I got to Hearst Castle where I stayed at a hotel overnight and went to visit the next day. Where you are seems to be very big for hiking. I am sure you know your target market and will design accordingly. That must be a very expensive piece of land. Your very lucky.
January 7, 2013 at 10:19pm   
designideas4me
Well judging from the video I just watched on that inn which is already in business, I dont think you have much competition. The rooms look very old and out of date. I did like the in room hot tub idea. If you put that in and the rates are good I will come up to stay. lol
January 7, 2013 at 10:25pm   
Aja Mazin
Make it a Bed and Breakfast!
January 7, 2013 at 10:50pm   
lizoregon
It looks like you're at Shelter Cove in southern Humboldt county. We used to live in SoHum and have friends out there with a gorgeous view like yours. They pretty much let the view do the decorating and kept the furnishings simple, warm and inviting.

Your inn has a somewhat traditional, almost Victorian look (except for the windows). I think your furnishings and decor could reflect that style in a very subtle, fun way. I'd encourage you to use warm and bright accents (throw pillows,etc.) rather than just the neutrals shown in the photos above. It can be foggy and stormy out there, and color will be cheerful.

Gather some ideas and consult a pro. I will look for your Inn the next time we visit the Cove. :-)
January 7, 2013 at 10:52pm   
Darzy
Food for thought... I dont' know your layout situation but we travel with a group of 4-5 couples. We also like amenities like a billiards room, hot tub, etc. (where we bring our own party). Many places have great views and typical "rooms" but not much else. I'm not talking about a "bar" room. A beautiful, sophisticated space to play billiards, darts, a game of cards with our friends with beautiful surroundings and furnishings. We live in California and it's almost a "staycation". : ) I agree to hire a designer and make your place a "destination" instead of just a "place to stay" passing through.
January 7, 2013 at 11:14pm     
Darrell McDaniel
Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. Yes, the Inn is located in Shelter Cove next to "Little Black Sands Beach". I plan to keep it full of antiques with history behind the pieces. Darrell
January 7, 2013 at 11:18pm     
lizoregon
I thought that's where you were! It looked so familiar. We used to picnic at Little Black Sands Beach back in the day. The antiques sound lovely, Darrell. If you do a search here on Houzz for Victorian Beach there are some nice ideas. Keep us posted. :-)
January 7, 2013 at 11:31pm   
Darrell McDaniel
Thanks for the feedback Darzy. There is an antique pool table that turns into a conference table for the professionals next to a small private bar. There is a large indoor spa that can accommodate 4. Additionally, I have an antique baby grand that plays scrolls for people like me who do not play. A gas fireplace in every room with each unit having a kitchen and an indoor spa with an ocean view. I have a large collection of new and old books, CD’s, videos, board games and other activities to pass time. I just need to put it all together. Darrell
January 7, 2013 at 11:46pm     
Aja Mazin
That will be lovely and is the type of feel we search for when traveling in the states.

Will there be a dining room?
Will there be a central kitchen?

Do you plan to rent the Inn by the weekend or week for weddings and family reunions?
January 7, 2013 at 11:47pm   
calikym
1. gas fireplaces! for ambiance plus it gets cold by the water. 2. Great Wifi is a must (use signal repeaters to be sure you give your customers perfect connections from everywhere - they are very cheap, too, and make all the difference.. 3. mattresses, sheets and pillows are a MUST. 4. I installed a NEST thermostat in my home- so simple to use plus can be controlled remotely. It "learns" from your use but unlike other smart thermostats, it has no monthly service fee. You just need wifi. 5. Apple TV box (it's tiny and so is the remote plus only about $250). This little device is superior to every other electronic device in my home and seamlessly pulls together all my equipment and net services. We have used play station, roku and wii to access, but NONE do it like apple. We converted everything to apple plus like I said it is sooooo... Small compared to the others,!! It will work on any modern flat panel TV. Be sure you focus on high tech solutions and making sure the smart phones, iPads, etc, have plenty of good signals and a good charging station would be much appreciated. It is very frustrating to travel to a nice hotel and get bad wifi or signals, even at the beach.
January 7, 2013 at 11:53pm     
calikym
Missed a key word ---"Excellent" mattresses, pillows and bedding.
January 7, 2013 at 11:55pm   
Darrell McDaniel
Hello Aja. Yes, there is a dining area and a larger kitchen area in the common suite. I have additional lots to the west that will accomodate expansion but I havent decided on the business model at this time. Darrell
January 7, 2013 at 11:56pm     
Darzy
Darrell..sound like a "destination" to me. You're on the right track! Heated towel racks, feather topped bed and eqyption cotton sheets and we're in!
January 8, 2013 at 12:02am   
Aja Mazin
Sounds charming!

I presume each suite will be unique in its decor.
January 8, 2013 at 12:16am   
lizoregon
This isn't the best example. Here's a link that shows what I meant by using pops of warm, bright colors in a light room with the pillow and the chair. Ignore the too small painting over the bed! The view is still the focal point. I think a colorful throw at the foot of the bed would add to it. The colors used should pick up colors from a larger painting over the bed or a rug.

January 8, 2013 at 12:20am   
Darzy
My last two cents...this is too important for your business not to not hire a professional designer. Pay the designer and write it off on your taxes. : )
January 8, 2013 at 12:24am     
lizoregon
Yes, do hire a pro. No matter how much fun we have giving you ideas, you need a pro. You are in a *really* remote area, and I know you aren't going to find the advice you need at Ace Hardware in Garberville. :-) Eureka or even Victorian Ferndale would be your best bet locally. Ask around for recommendations. You will want your inn to be fabulous enough to also attract people who have the money to fly in to the little airstrip, so maybe a S.F. designer would be a good investment (no offense to the locals).

I see you're in Sacramento. Are you going to live at the inn?
January 8, 2013 at 7:46am   
More Discussions
Suggestions for roof color & exterior paint color?!
We are remodeling an older home, and tackling the exterior....
Comment on the kitchen plan
Hey We recently bought a small house. How to remodel...
What to do with this charming chest
Really like this 70s 80s Lane chest. Using for a night...
Decorating a large black entertaiment center
I want to decorate the top of a very large black entertainment...
Need help with under cabinet LED lighting
I'm having MAJOR stress figuring out what to use for...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.