Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help for a wall in the stairwell
Mirko
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

We have in our house a staircase (open up to the ridge). This occurs on the right side (I'm down at the staircase) a very high wall. We have lamps and pictures on the wall. We have nothing on the top of the right wall (which is the largest area). This is provided only with a white textured wallpaper. Hope you can see it on the attached photos.

What can we do with this wall? Does anyone have an idea? It's a house with an "Scandinavien style" I would say.

Thanks,
Mirko
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Your pictures could be a bit larger and more colourful, but really, this is a beautiful "pure" looking stairway and it's not saying to me that it's a problem in any way. If I were you, I'd work on other projects in the home first and when you're finished, you may find that you're quite happy with this staircase the way it is! :)

The only thing I would consider doing is to add a stair runner, both for safety and for a bit of pizzazz.
January 7, 2013 at 8:38pm     
chelseabeagle
I agree with the larger pictures on the wall or perhaps you could do a collage of family pictures on the wall.
January 7, 2013 at 8:45pm     
Mirko
Thanks - the picture collage looks like a good idea (I also like the wall color on the second picture - but I'm not sure if it works for us). But of course - there are a lot of other "projects" on our house so I like the idea to work on the other projects first.... :-) (Hall, lamps, bathroom, nursery, bedroom closet)

Thanks
Mirko
January 7, 2013 at 10:08pm   
Darzy
I ditto Cynthia yet again! I like the "purity" of the space and it fits with your style. Do the stair runner and possibly nothing else needed. That Cynthia Taylor-Luce is good!
January 7, 2013 at 10:28pm     
lwilson126
Remember ..it is nice to change things. Japanese homes change accessories each season. And it lifts the spirit. One thing to consider is a very large painting. Or a beautiful large tree branch. Spray paint it if you want.
January 7, 2013 at 10:35pm     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

just add some family pictures in black n white with nice black moulded frame
it will enhance the look and leave the others things blank

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 7, 2013 at 11:28pm     
calikym
The stairs are beautiful. Don't change them in any way.
January 8, 2013 at 12:05am     
calikym
I like this look a lot. I also saw a hanger for photo frames at Ikea about 2 weeks ago. It is a rod about 3 feet long and allows you to attach their frames in long columns from the hanger. It seemed to take the guess work out of making things line up straight. I looked online just now but couldn't find it to post for you. It is at the Burbank, CA store, though, and likely included in some of there catalog images.
January 8, 2013 at 12:17am     
bellandromeda
Yes you can add some frames and other decors. Or you can design your stairs,
January 8, 2013 at 12:19am     
Mirko
Hello calikym,

you mean this one: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/80074737/
?

Sorry - it's the german link but the picture is multilingual:-)
We have an IKEA close to my hometown....

Oh - and I think I have to post a photo from the other wall - because we already have pictures here...
January 8, 2013 at 12:32am     
calikym
If you want a photo gallery, search on that in houzz. I just tried it and there are so many ideas. Search --- photo gallery staircase ----- and then pick your style which seems to be modern. Really some great ideas there. I also saw a simple painting which I liked more. It depends on if you want to hang photos or not.
January 8, 2013 at 12:33am     
calikym
It was solar to that acrylic one but not exactly the same. The rod was stainless or chrome and the frames could be different sizes and colors.
January 8, 2013 at 12:35am   
calikym
It was similar to the one you posted but the frames were not clear acrylic and the rod was definitely a thin metal rod in brushed silver finish. Then the photo frames in black could be hung from that rod in differences sizes (the frames were different sizes) but the distance between them top to bottom was the same. It was cool and they had it shown in several rooms - with cute prints in a child's room and then black and white photos in a living room with more frames hanging.
January 8, 2013 at 12:39am   
Mirko
I will show you the result now....
Thanks for all the input...
January 15, 2013 at 11:24am     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Could you show us a picture from the same viewpoint as the original picture you posted?

I really like the fresh look of the artwork from above. Good job!
January 15, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Mirko
Hi Cynthia,

I will make photos from the same positions like on posting 1. But not today. It's to dark right now and the kids are sleeping :-)
January 15, 2013 at 12:24pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
No problem, Mirko. Forgot you were in Germany--six hours ahead of me I think. Whenever you can get to it, I will get a note in my email and will pop back to houzz to take a look. It's very thoughtful of you to show us the result.
January 15, 2013 at 12:34pm   
Mirko
Only -mobile phone photos- but our real camera is broken last week.
January 16, 2013 at 11:14am   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Mirko you have done a FABULOUS job. Magazine-worthy, in fact. The lighting on the stairs makes them look as if they are very important, and the pictures on the white wall have a gallery feel. You must be so very pleased. Great, great job. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Cynthia
January 16, 2013 at 7:32pm