powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Keep or cover off center, too small shower window?
calikym
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need professional advice. Shower has been plumbed with 2 shower heads and will be very large 57" x 74". The window was from the old configuration ( and was square/centered to the floor layout). We don't know what to do about this window. Cover with tile and patch stucco or make wider/bigger. The broom and rod make up new floor dimensions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Diane Williford
I would just work it into the design, maybe adding a decorative glass insert to it. If you remove it, you would need to repair the outside and that can sometimes be a big challenge. Plus, you can never have too much light in a bathroom.
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
Why does it need to be centered? The questions I would ask are do you want the daylight? and are you protecting the window (if you keep it) from the showerhead?
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:56PM
calikym
We could make the window longer, more of a rectangular shape, that matches the other windows more. Plus we are going for a modern look and feel the window looks too traditional. I'm really torn on this but feel the square shape is all wrong, centered or not. :(. Helllppp
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:08PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would keep it. I like windows in showers and the natural light it brings. I also do not care for things to be centered. Asymmetrical can be a good thing embrace it.
4 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
It is almost impossible to use an existing window in a shower without water issues so it would need to be changed out to a vinyl window anyway. Make sure it is all flashed properly and sealed properly to avoid any water issues. If it needs to be changed, I would enlarge it to match up with your style. Use a privacy glass window. Hy-lite makes some nice ones.
5 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:15PM
calikym
Are there any other options besides block style that open and close? Block style seems a bit dated to me.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:29PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders all you need to do is paint it with marine grade paint and use good silicone chalk.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:29PM
PRO
I'm sorry International, but I would not recommend or warranty a wood product in a shower. We've seen too many issues. It should be a fully sealed, enclosed window to last in a shower.

Calikym, yes there are options other than block. Take a look at their website.
4 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:36PM
Diane Williford
If you want a different shape window and are prepared to repair the exterior, put in what you want. It does not need to be centered, it can be any shape but I agree with Deborah Butler, it needs to be a window built for a wet room. Just make sure the style of the window works well with the exterior elevation it is placed on. Now is the time to get what you want. Find shower pictures on Houzz.com and build what you want from your inspiration photo! Have fun! We just gutted and rebuilt our Master Bath. It is worth all the time and effort!
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 5:59PM
Aja Mazin
Gee Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders, I am surprised our 38' sailboat is still afloat.
3 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 6:10PM
Susan Chandlee
Keep the window, possibly add a niche on the side of it to give the look of a bigger window. Could always work around the window to have it look like a port hole.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 6:16PM
calikym
This is the look I like best (long horizontal) which means I need to change the window. If I change the window, where should I put a niche for shampoo, etc..? Also, my other problem is towels will be across room. Any design solutions out there for towel racks IN showers but my back wall opposite shower heads is glass top to bottom.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:51PM
Diane Williford
We hung bathrobe hooks next to our shower instead of using towel bars. They worked out great and match our faucets. If you install a shower bench you could skip the shampoo niche. Just put the shampoo, etc on a great looking tray at the end of your bench.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:07PM
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
Hooks can work, also, you can put towel bars in the glass (not on the shower side obviously). Looks like you have yourself a cool project. And i do understand what you mean by the square window, a horizontal one would look better. Only you know all your parameters at this point.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:29PM
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Changing to a horizontal window may crowd the current larger window to the left. You could consider having the soap caddy / shelf to the left of the window as a square to balance the window. With proper ventilation including an opening at the top of the wall or glass and exhaust fan, your wood window will be fine in the shower at such a tall height. I would agree with Johnathan of International that marine paint for the frame and tiling for trim will be sufficient moisture control. If you are considering glass shower walls, removing the window would be an option since your large window to the left will allow light to flow into the shower.
3 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:43AM
michigammemom
It looks as though you have plenty of natural light in your bath. This would be the perfect time to eliminate the shower window which I see as a breeding ground for mold and mildew.
3 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:48AM
PRO
KBDesign
I would also keep the window and I agree with Interiors International about the symmetry. More important for this space to be functional. Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on everything lining up perfectly. The natural light is a great feature for the shower.
3 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:56AM
calikym
I'm going to add 1 more photo...it includes the other windows in the bathroom. I am seriously thinking about tiling over based on the quote I received plus the vent pipe that needs to be moved too. I think we have plenty of windows and I just can't imagine having a dinky square window in this space. Will you please re-assess? I am delaying all other work for this issue. Thanks you for the advice - everyone matters. I don't feel it is needed and the cost is hard to justify.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:17PM
Ramona
Why does moving a vent have anything to do with this issue? What cost is hard to justify? We need more explanation. I think having a window you can crack to let out steam, especially in the summer, is a good idea. Are the other windows fixed?
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:28PM
calikym
The other windows open and are very close to the future shower glass wall. It will be only 2 inches from the edge of 2nd window from right. I don't like the small window in the shower because it looks dinky and doesn't work. No matter what, it ha to be replaced, covered or changed. It really looks goofy to me so I had a longer rectangular one priced. In order to have a longer window, have to move the black vent going up the wall.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:34PM
gwarta
Keep the window same size and location. Consider a frosted glass. You will appreciate the additional light and cost savings. I agonize over decisions like this myself. Good luck!
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:39PM
calikym
Well, I won't be able to ever do this again in my lifetime. So.... I better get this right. Lol!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:49PM
Tammy Sprinkle
Since you have plenty of windows and light, as well as ventilation you could probably do away with this small window, however you need to consider the cost of removing the window and refinishing the stucco on the exterior so it blends in with the rest of the house? We use hooks for our towels, also.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:54PM
Ramona
I don't think it looks dinky at all, but if it has to be replaced, that is a different matter. You will still have the expense of patching the outside wall which could cost a great deal.

What about installing a modern etched glass stationery window? With an off center design. Off center is modern

[houzz=
]
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:56PM
calikym
No matter what, it's going to cost something. Fortunately we painted the exterior about 2 years ago so exterior paint is relatively new but it would be cheaper to keep the square window and just replace it with the exact same one. I'm just really not feeling like that is the best choice though. Several designers have said to keep it but I didn't give a full view of the room. People that see the room first hand (contractors working here and friends) seem to not like it so.... Here is it, confused, frustrated but ready to have a functional bathroom again.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:58PM
calikym
Ramona, that is so hip.
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
ma2 architects
I would eliminate the window. You can use vinyl, metal, marine grade paint, caulk...all those things...but when it comes down to it the window will eventually leak or fail. Also, think about cleaning it--glass shower enclosures are enough of a pain to clean, why add a window?
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:11PM
pauli12
I am thinking about the water hitting the window, gook forming and all sorts of evil. That is a huge shower and it would be one less thing to worry about if you took it out. Would there be a privacy issue?
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:19PM
calikym
Those are really valid points! Especially the part about cleaning it. I'm not sure it ever got properly cleaned in the past 10 years since it is 2nd story.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:20PM
pauli12
Will you have a bench? Just making sure.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:21PM
Diane Williford
If you can repair the exterior without major expense, you should take the window out. I say this because you don't like the window. If cost is prohibitive for removal and the resulting repair, make the window a focal point by putting in that horizontal window you do like. It would look great. Both cost money but the larger horizontal window will add a more contemporary feel to the room. That being said, looking at a stripped down room makes everything look bad, even features you originally liked and wanted to keep. If you don't have an inspiration picture for your finished look, you should find one. This website is full of them. Pictures really help give you direction. Tape it on the wall and look at it for a few days. It may help you decide.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:32PM
calikym
No built in bench.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:32PM
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
I would keep it at a similar height, but maybe wider and centered. Just enough to peer out into the day while enjoying your shower.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:32PM
Ramona
If you installed fixed glass, you could face the edges with whatever you are doing inside the shower. I don't see why tile around a fixed window would leak, but it sounds like you really want to get rid of it, so do that. I cannot believe that windows in showers are de facto a problem since I grew up around houses with windows in bathrooms in the shower and never heard of the sort of problems that are being claimed here. Most older homes have bathroom windows and often the only place is above the bathtub/shower. I would prefer this to no window for sure.

Everything needs repair eventually.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:38PM
calikym
Oh gawd. I'm getting a big ugly cold sore on my lip. Ugh.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:08PM
lefty47
HI - I would make the window wide and long in an awning opening style with textured or frosted glass.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:27PM
stvu
I would like to know how hard it is to put a niche for the shampoo in the shower stall?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:39PM
calikym
My husband wants the window and wants it centered. He doesn't care about the price. Any one in Ventura County, CA (I live in Camarillo) do windows? I also need an electrician and help with cabinets, if anyone is out there! Bath tub is already here and plumbing fixtures roughed in. I need help and I'm ready to go, heeellllppppp
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:40PM
Diane Williford
Calikym, stop biting your lip! Lol, you will survive this. Take some deep breaths and find a good contractor. Youv'e come this far and there is an end to it all. I feel for you, having taken 2 years to complete a whole house renovation. Nothing like living in a construction zone! You can do this!!!
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 8:14PM
calikym
Indeed I need a good contractor and a designer on a budget like me. Haha! Meanwhile, my downstairs tile project is coming along. They are about 20% done with my family room tile. But then I have yet another design dilemma when I get to the fireplace tile. Oh the stress of it all. If only I would win the lotto.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 8:18PM
Diane Williford
I was my own contractor too. It is a challenge to say the least. Any company that sells windows will have installers (Lowes, Home Depot, Pella) . Call the local home builders association, if you have one,
and get some recommendations for electricians & sheet rockers. Then check them out with the better business bureau for complaints. I kept a tablet with me at all times with room sizes, paint colors, my inspiration photos. A measuring tape, tile and floor samples all went into a bag that I kept with the tablet.
Don't forget about permits and inspections. Also, have a heating and air contractor place your ductwork and check out your system to make certain it will work well for the redone space. We found heating ductwork attached to nothing, just hanging in the wall and no insulation above our bathroom. Fix it all while the walls are open. Oh, winning the lotto won't help. You will just find more projects to
do! lol. It can become addicting.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 8:55PM
PRO
calikym, there are technical issues (not design issues) about how to put a window in a shower so that it will last and eliminate or reduce the chance of leaking. No matter what you do, water will get on the window sill and sit and you want to manage that and have it not penetrate small grout cracks and cause mold/mildew/rot issues behind the wall. This is what we do for a living and we take out and reinstall many showers. Some are not that old and we have worked with windows in showers before and learned what does and does not work. We have never in 10 years had a shower leak or a callback on showers. We have, however, had to completely remove and replace showers that were only 2-3 years old and were leaking horribly.

Once you make the decision to keep it, regardless of whether you enlarge it or not, the window needs to be a particular type of window (vinyl) and needs to be professionally installed. (It may need to be tempered glass depending upon the size that you ultimately decide - check your local building codes.) This immediately eliminates HD or Lowes or similar "window replacement" companies. The subcontractors that take on projects with HD and Lowes are the worst of the worst. They are paid so little that they cannot afford to take the time to do it right. One of the immediate red flags in looking at your picture is that there is no vapor barrier showing. It should have been cut and wrapped around the framing that surrounds the window. This is one additional protection around window framing to protect from water intrusion and rot. The window will expand and contract at a different rate than the surrounding exterior wall and the interior tile wall. It is necessary to make sure the window has a nailing fin and that all of the nail holes are used to secure it so that it restricts movement as much as possible. Any gaps between the window and framing should be sealed with a foam sealer.

When you get around to tiling the shower, the jamb (the sill) should be tiled properly and grouted. The joint directly next to the window should not be grouted but filled with a caulk that is purchased from the tile store to match the grout. The caulk has more elasticity to move with the window. This caulk may need to be replaced every few years to maintain a water seal.

Personally I would find a good remodeling contractor through your local home builders association for help with the bath. There are other places you can save and diy. If you intend to diy, then check references religiously and go look at work. Talk to more than one person for any particular task and see who is telling you things that make sense and is providing information up front and is trying to "do it right".

Good luck.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 4:19AM
Aja Mazin
Your husband wants the window and wants it centered.

Relax!

Let your husband supervise the work.
He made the decision so he assumed the responsibility.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 5:00AM
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
I always point out to my clients that focusing in on a single moment in the process can leaves out most of the design elements. By seeing your current project in its current state, we are looking at only the the design element of windows. When the bathroom is completed there will be so many more interesting elements that one will probably never focus on the single window in the shower. You will have lighting, and cabinets, tile, maybe decos, paint, trim, maybe window treatments, flooring, maybe a rug,maybe artwork, etc. I personally like a window in a shower it gives strong light and energy. I have a Jeld Wen window in my master bathroom shower at the lake that is vinyl, tempered glass and it was purchased Home Depot.

2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 5:50AM
pauli12
I like what Scott so aptly described about focusing on one thing.....
I did this while we were remodeling. Every decision was so major....
now it is all just a part of the whole and I seldom focus on any of it.
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 5:58AM
J. K. Wiskamp
Eliminate window and install a solar tube?
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 6:28AM
kitasei
It is worth designing a place to stash shampoo, razors, etc. where they WON'T SHOW. Show me any bathroom where actual products are visible and don't detract. If they're shown in staged pictures at all, they are fluffy natural sponges and a liquid transferred to an perfect clear vessel. Maybe a dispenser like the kind used on countertop sinks? Or placed behind an artful piece of the shelf or bench?
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 7:11AM
calikym
I need to remember how ugly and dated it was before. No matter what, it's going to be modern and lovely comparatively. The window will stay because my husband has now cast his trump vote. And Scott, yours is unique and opens up possibilities. So, now it's time to find the right contractor in Camarillo. :)
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 7:36AM
PRO
AMBIT Architecture
if budget is a concern then keep the window. Here's a cheap date that will get you the horizontal look you want to achieve:
pack out the interior wall of the shower (2x3's at minimum) along the window wall so that you can create a longer sill under the window that hits the corner. essentially creating a longer recess in which the window resides. use a small stone slab as the sill which will provide better water protection from the shower head. Stop the overall pack out of the wall to the edge of the shower threshold if you like, or take it all the way across the room...not sure what tiles and finishes you have chosen so its up to you
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:30AM
kitasei
What is OUTSIDE the window? What floor are we talking about? Is the view looking out a wow? Then opening it up would make the view visible from the whole bathroom (and through its door if you leave it ajar). Making it longer will make allow shorter people to enjoy the view. It can also provide a wow to passersby or neighbors. One of the great attractions of the High Line in Manhattan is the adjacent hotel with all those big lit up bathroom windows.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:37AM
calikym
Trees and sky. We have a 1/2 acre backyard and so it really adds a view of the skt and mature trees.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 12:14PM
calikym
Moving vent pipe now to accommodate larger window. Game on!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:15PM
kitasei
Given the privacy and the view, I say go for a full length spectacular window!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:23PM
calikym
If my body could return to its pre-baby shape, I would do it just because..... ;)
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 12:31PM
kitasei
Who will see you but the birds?
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:33PM
kitasei
You could also keep a small potted fig tree by the window.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 12:34PM
calikym
Pipe moved over
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
Awesome.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 2:08PM
Diane Williford
You go girl!!! Please post update pictures. I'd love to see how it all turns out.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:17PM
PRO
Innovate Building Solutions
I think keeping the window (and making it bigger - if your budget allows) is an excellent idea. There are a lot of accidents that happen in wet spaces and better lighting is always a good thing. If you want the window to operate yet maintain privacy an acrylic block window may be the way to go. If you just want privacy glass block windows are a good choice (see the picture below). A third option would be an obscure glass vinyl replacement window.

I'll include some links that show selections in both acrylic and glass block windows:
http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/acrylic-block-egress-decorative-windows
http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/glass-block/basement-bathroom-windows
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 7:33AM
calikym
New larger was partially framed yesterday.
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hello, I just read through your posting and pictures and I just thought to add my 2 cents. I don't know if this will help or not. Anyway, looking at the whole room and the windows in particular the first impression I had was that this could be an awsome open plan Master Bathroom. From what I gather you have gone ahead with the enlargement of the window inside the shower. Personally I think you made a good choice. There might be some cool ways to ensure against the window and it's frame becoming a catch-all for gunk. Although your concerns might be unfounded in the end, you also have an opportunity for something unique.
Since the wall is still open some architectural interest could work. If it's do-able (check in w/your contractor of course) frame and then sheet rock a recess from just above your new window down to about 8" above the floor. Angle the bottom of the niche so water rolls down instead of catching in a horizontal "trough". You can then run one or two thick "shelves" across and tile everything so the niche becomes and architectural feature. If you want to feel comfortable about the exposure of the window to the water you can have the first shelf located just below the window and install a piece of glass to cover the opening. This can be done with satin glass or a decorative laminated glass. The glass piece would be edged in a rubber "U" channel. I'm sure that whatever you do it's going to be a great Bath!
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 12:51PM
calikym
@Jeffrey - thanks for the input! It was an expensive decision to add the window but in the end, the view and added ventilation make it worth it. I noticed in your design you didn't add a shelf . I was wondering why not? I was planning on adding a shelf beneath the window, same length and tile width. Thanks for your insight.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 1:19PM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I agree with above. I see with above you decide to go with new window. I have it in most of my projects, if you look up my Houzz.com page. I suggest you might go with a marble window sill, and surround. It is waterproof and looks great! You could also do it stone too! Well, I see you have a large 1/2 acre backyard. So, looking out with some light and tree views will be good!
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
Say what.......I did talk about shelves.............?
1 Like   March 16, 2013 at 2:08PM
calikym
Sorry but it wasn't in the pix you attached.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 3:01PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Talk of sailboats and views from showers and how stuff looks is not on point when cutting a hole in a house and throwing water on it from both sides. Deborah has brought up the salient points...differential movement of materials opens gaps, gaps fill with water and water causes wood to rot. I know this is a "design" site...but form and function need to be considered simultaneously. Calikym, you have taken the plunge already...I hope your installation included lots of bituminous self adhering flashing prior to setting the window. In future ya'll...remember one thing...the contractor is the one that stands behind the installation and carries a ten year construction defects liability insurance to make those pretty things. When we say no...how about you listen?
3 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:55AM
calikym
@ironwood - our contractor has installed another shower window for us with no issues after 10 years. The window presently in this shower had no issues (wall is in new condition). My contractor is reputable and installs high end showers and kitchens all over Ventura and LA counties. He was never opposed to replacing the window with a larger one - it was simply a matter of our design consideration. Thanks for your input and for the record, I always consider the advice of all contractors involved in my project - from the plumber to the general contractor to contributors on this houzz discussion forum such as yourself. Thanks for your input.
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 2:40PM
calikym
Moving along slowly but this is where we are now.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 1:15PM
PRO
Kymberly, Looking good! Hope all is well with you. Jeff
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 2:03PM
calikym
It's really been a nightmare but hopefully downhill from here. One can only dream. Btw, your input was valuable at a crucial moment in my project. Thank you so much!
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
I've been contributing articles about exactly this sort of project. The articles appear online on Inspire.com which is the ASID magazine. Some are published in NJ based magazines too. If you would like to do it, I'd really like to know about your experience. Regards, Jeff Brooks
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 2:19PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Kimberly, if this was my bathroom, I would be more worried about the crappy plumbing work....I know you're way past that stage now, but I've seen some really butchered up framing before by plumbers but this one is right up there with the worst. I'm wondering how in the hell that passed inspection? I counted 4 continuous studs that appear to have been overly notched, burn marks on the studs and some crazy configurations...............and I love the electrical wire to what appears a receptacle on backside of your wet wall.............sorry I didn't see your original posting earlier but that is some really shoddy work and then you hung tile backer board and that tile over that.......all 4 of those notches were clearly almost 3/4 the way through the stud............not good..

It's looking nice, but knowing what's behind that pretty facade.......this former GC gives your contractor and plumbing contractor a failing grade for quality work. Sorry.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 2:45PM
calikym
Of course I will help you however I can.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 2:45PM
calikym
@thomas - you've got me very concerned. Are you going about the shower wall, the vanity wall or both?
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 2:47PM
calikym
@thomas - the notches on the studs of the shower wall were there before this project started. It passed inspection probably because it was already there. ??? That was done in early 90 when this house was built.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 2:51PM
S. Thomas Kutch
The shower wall.........I'm hoping that before your backer board was applied that the carpenter corrected those issues with the studs........I would have to ask what was your plumbing contractor thinking. He should have re-positioned and or added studs so that the he didn't have to butcher the studs..........I certainly hope that is not a load bearing wall.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 2:54PM
S. Thomas Kutch
If it was an existing condition it is definitely one that should have been addressed.........it certainly shouldn't have just been ignored by your contractor because it was an existing condition........either by the contractor or the plumbing contractor. What's on the backside of that shower wall....is that an exterior wall, I see what appears to be plywood sheathing, which helps for the structural diaphragm, but if that is a loading bearing wall I would be concerned.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 3:06PM
PRO
Kymberly, Don't hit the panic button. If you're concerned about the work (...been through this) contact the builder and the inspector and have both explain how this was handled before the walls were closed. Having those pictures in hand when you discuss it (and ask the questions face-to-face !) will illustrate your worry and be handy as Exhibit #1 should it come to that.
Mr. K.; do you find a lot of these sort of situations on Houzz ?
Jeff
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 3:12PM
calikym
@thomas - the shower wall shares a wall with the interior of my master bedroom. On the other side of the shower faucet wall is an indoor alcove for a desk or chaise. The outside wall is the one where the window is. The vanity wall was actually wood behind drywall so it all had to be pulled out to install plumbing and then re-installed. The only wall in the bathroom to the exterior of the house is the window wall.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 3:20PM
calikym
@thomas - he concreted the entire area before tile was installed. See attached photo.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 3:21PM
PRO
Kymberly, I'm sure that everyone here wants to contribute their expertise and support to people in the midst of building. But I'd keep in mind that diagnosis by Internet is not a science. No kidding, how many times have you heard a contractor describe another guy's work as "crappy"? (Hint..........a lot).
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 3:57PM
calikym
Sooooooo true. LMAO!!!!
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 3:58PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Kimberly, Jeffery is right, there is no need to go into panic mode, but I would do as he has recommended. Take the pictures you have and discuss the situation with the contractor and the building inspector and your concerns. It is quite possible that the contractor did add some additional support to those studs. The first step would be to address the issues with them.

@Jeffrey..... I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your question, so I will try to answer it as best I can. Simply put, no I don't see a lot of these situations on Houzz, I do see a few a though. I have 30+ years in the Architectural and Construction fields. Since 1978, I have worked in Architectural offices......starting as a rendering artist with a major International Engineering / Construction firm in what I thought would be a good 2 to 3 year art gig. Then they found out that I had a construction and drafting background and thus started a long career. I'm am not a licensed Architect, though I have passed the design and structural portions of the exam under the old grandfather clause, instead I sort of evolved into the guy in the offices that bridged the fence between the design studio and the construction site as a project manager. For a time I was a licensed GC in the state of Florida partnered with an Architect designing and building luxury condos, residences, offices and commercial buildings. i have acted as Construction Administration Manger on more projects than I can remember. Have managed projects in both design phases and construction phases that have been in the hundreds of millions. In short Jeffrey, I have worn many hats during the 30+ years and worked with many people and organizations that have trusted my expertise. I don't comment much on the design issues on Houzz, especially issues of color, or furniture placement. Most posters here don't insert photos that are as revealing as those Kimberly posted or ask specific questions about construction........but when they do and I see something that isn't right, I will bring it to their attention..........isn't that what we "professionals" are here for, to help those that don't have the experience we do with their problems. Something that really struck me, was that of all the "professionals" that responded to Kimberly's request about the window.........all the discussions about the design issues of the window and the construction issues of it........nobody ever said a thing about the photos she posted concerning the glaringly problematic potential of the rough in work........be it new or existing.

While I wouldn't necessarily expect Interior designers to catch detailed construction issues when it comes to rough in work or framing, there are times when my GC radar goes off when I see something like this.......this was one of those times.
3 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:12PM
calikym
Thank you for replying. I will definitely discuss this with my contractor. If you only knew the story about this job I didn't post. Holy crap. It's been a ride that I never want to go on again. Many sleepless nights, thousands of $$$, so much stress.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:25PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Jeffrey.... did you even look at the photos and the notching in the studs.........if you did and you don't see a problem with that, I would have to question your construction knowledge.....maybe you should stick to your field of expertise. I'm sure you provided excellent advise to Kimberly on the window placement and maybe even the finishes she selected.

I merely saw some very sub-standard quality framing working and plumbing rough in configurations or more exactly that was apparently ignored by the contractor because it wasn't his problem and brought it to her attention.......it does't make a hill of beans to me if she or you for that matter agree with me or not.........it ain't my shower.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:26PM
PRO
Shut up
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 5:30PM
S. Thomas Kutch
Ah,..... thank, you've confirmed my suspicions.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 8:07PM