powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can the living room be one style and the open kitchen next to it be another?
Bonnie
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I live in a loft and are in the process of renovating the kitchen. We are considering taking down the wall between the living room and the kitchen to make it more open and connected. The living room is decorated in world eclectic. We want to make the kitchen look rustic/industrial/commercial/northern California cafe. What are opinions about having those two different looks next to each other? The space would be more of an "L" shape with the wall removed.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Bonnie
the first photo is part of the living room. the entrance to the kitchen can be seen in the second photo. The wall with the mirror behind the Chinese wedding bed and photographs would be the one to be removed.
January 7, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Bonnie
this is sort of the look we want. do you think it would coordinate enough with the living room?
January 7, 2013 at 12:56PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You have such an eclectic group of things that you can do almost anything and get way with it.
January 7, 2013 at 1:02PM     
Bonnie
This is the kitchen now, before we remodel it.
We have had tons of great ideas from people here on houzz as to how to decorate the kitchen and are very grateful for all the valuable input!
Any other suggestions and ideas are very welcome! Thanks in advance!
Bonnie and Bill
January 7, 2013 at 1:03PM   
Darzy
Yes, your loft is absolutely perfect. I really wouldn't take the wall down. It is quite open, yet cozy and in my opinion already just right. I think I'd like to be "enticed" to see what was in the next room instead of seeing all the beauty all at once. I love the new kitchen design concept but IMHO each room should be their own "star" in your case.
January 7, 2013 at 1:08PM     
Bonnie
we would remove the wall that the refrigerator is currently on. That would open up to where the Chinese wedding bed is.
January 7, 2013 at 1:09PM     
Aja Mazin
Love your living room and it deserves a new kitchen. kitchen

Great plan to renovate the kitchen and take down the wall!
January 7, 2013 at 1:28PM     
Bonnie
Darzy and Aja, thanks for your perspectives!
January 8, 2013 at 5:59AM     
feeny
Definitely these two styles are compatible. Great space!
January 8, 2013 at 6:03AM     
Bonnie
other ideas for the kitchen
i love the combination of stainless steel and warm wood
January 8, 2013 at 9:39PM     
Darzy
My two cents. Normally, I would say take down that wall! We all love open concepts! But, your space is so lovely. An open kitchen in an already large open space (and a spacious kitchen) is not necessary. (Unless you really, really want to see both spaces at once). A kitchen in itself is always a bit "busy" looking. Your kitchen provides you a space for intimate, cozy and "special" place. Plus, if you entertain, or cater, it would be nice to keep the noise, clutter and dirty dishes separate from your party. Or, how about opening the wall, but put in a HUGE "barn door" or "french door" or huge "pocket doors" type wall design to close off the space anytime you want.
January 8, 2013 at 9:50PM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, here are some curtains you might be interested in.
January 8, 2013 at 10:26PM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
some other curtain designs
January 8, 2013 at 10:28PM   
PRO
NexTrend Design
I tend to agree with NOT removing the wall. Your kitchen ideas would work with the awesome look you've created in the living room but I fear that the openness of seeing (and hearing the clatter of) all the pots & pans & dishes all over the kitchen would spoil the beauty & enjoyment of the living room area. The existing wall is an awesome place for your mirrors, art, & decorative touches on the living room side and could serve you well with usable storage & cabinet space on the kitchen side as well.
January 8, 2013 at 11:06PM     
Aja Mazin
I don't see much of a problem since the living room and kitchen would then be L shaped

The loft appears quite large!
January 8, 2013 at 11:33PM     
Aja Mazin
How did you do the walls in the living area?

And where did you find the pair of spectacular mirrors?
January 8, 2013 at 11:37PM     
Bonnie
Everyone has a good point here! Oh, what to do!!
I havent done the walls in the living room yet. I plan to paint them a Benjamin Moore tan color called "hush"
I bought the large mirrors behind the statue from Horchow.
January 8, 2013 at 11:51PM     
Darzy
Here is the barn door concept I was thinking of..but probably twice the size for your space. I think this could be a "compromise" solution to the open or closed concept at will. But, Bonnie, you have great taste so no matter what you decide, I'm sure it will look fabulous either way. : )

January 9, 2013 at 12:24AM     
MAlps
Your place is MAGNIFICENT! You have awesome taste! What area do you love in?
January 9, 2013 at 2:07AM   
Bonnie
Darzy, I am putting a door like that in the far end of the living room! we think alike! It wouldnt work for the kitchen because the entrance to the kitchen already has two french doors so we would need at least 4!! its a big space, you cant really tell in the photos.

MAlps, thanks. we are in MA.
January 9, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Darzy
Yummy! That type doors will look fabulous in your space. Please post your new kitchen progress. We'd love to see !
January 9, 2013 at 2:13PM   
Bonnie
Sure, I will post progress. Thanks for all your help!!
January 9, 2013 at 5:22PM     
Bonnie
by the way, the walls in the living room are now tan (if you remember from the other design dilemma, they were weird colors from the former owner). Looks SO much better !!
January 9, 2013 at 5:24PM   
Aja Mazin
I loved the "weird color" from the former owner !

Was it a very pale yellow with some of the bricks visible?
January 12, 2013 at 12:02PM   
carolannr
I'm sorry but I love the design you want for your kitchen but I also think you should not take that wall down. I'm sorry but with your beautiful living area keeping the kitchen and food prep area separate - I love those french doors - would keep the "atmosphere" of the living area. I really think opening the kitchen area would be too "Bed, Bath and Beyond". You have beautiful things that you have chosen for the living area and I would hate to see them discredited by exposing the more mundane kitchen items. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh.
January 12, 2013 at 12:20PM     
Bonnie
Carolannr,
I appreciate you taking the the to give me your opinion! You have a valid perspective!
It is a tough call, that's why I asked for guidance!!
January 14, 2013 at 7:13AM   
Bonnie
Aja,
the pale yellow color on the bricks was not the weird color. I was referring to walls on the other side of the living room that were bright yellow and putple-blue!! I attached photos of those walls on another "design dilemma" post. Some people who helped me with that post are also involved here.
I wouldn't paint over the walls with brick, I love the look of the paint peeling!
January 14, 2013 at 7:19AM     
Aja Mazin
Is that a load bearing wall that you want to remove?
January 16, 2013 at 11:06AM   
Bonnie
my contractor thinks not
January 16, 2013 at 11:09AM   
Aja Mazin
Looking out your windows, it seems you are on the "ground floor" or street level and that your loft is a 2 story" structure.

Is that correct?

However, your ceilings do not seem quite as high in the kitchen??

Any possibility you could post a floor plan?
January 16, 2013 at 11:19AM   
Bonnie
all the ceilings are the same, 16'
our apartment is on the second floor. Im not sure what you mean.
sorry, i dont have a floor plan for the whole space.
January 16, 2013 at 12:50PM   
Aja Mazin
It seems so large, I imagined it to be similar to a converted 2 story brick warehouse I once visited in NYC.
January 16, 2013 at 7:17PM   
Aja Mazin
Your loft should be featured in a zine.
January 16, 2013 at 7:20PM     
PRO
Travis Robert Renovations
Great loft!! We agree with Darzy and think the sliding door would be a great compromise... Happy Renovating!
January 17, 2013 at 3:23PM     
Bonnie
Travis and Darzy,
The sliding door just got completed today and painted along with the walls (not the brick walls, sheet rock walls with weird colors from the previous owners that are not visible on this post). I debated whether or not to paint the door but ultimately I decided that I wanted it to blend into the wall and not be decor. I think I am going to put either a photo or a mirror on the door but not sure yet. Will post photos when it's all done.

Aja, the apartment is large, over 3000 sq ft. with very high ceilings so it is possible to have a second story loft space. Actually some people in the building do, so your right. Thanks for your compliment!
January 17, 2013 at 5:20PM     
Darzy
Can't wait to see the finished project!
January 17, 2013 at 7:29PM     
Bonnie
me too!!
January 18, 2013 at 8:51PM   
Susanna
Wow Bonnie, Love your loft. I hate to see you remove the wall. I agree with Darzy and others that too much would be lost in intimacy and nothing positive gained. I think it would suddenly look like a furniture store.
Have you considered bookcases with a sliding ladder on the wall you don't like? I immediately thought of that but maybe it's because I own enough books for a public library :-) I can't wait to see what you do. I love your kitchen ideas!
January 18, 2013 at 9:43PM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Very nice space so far. I like the vibe you created and the industrial look will do well as it can still be an eclectic look. Thus they will blend. While the trend is to have an open look and have your guests live in a kitchen,Iin my opinion both spaces are large enough that they do not need to be joined together. Keeping the wall up will give you the option of allowing guests in your kitchen when you want them and not when you dont. So my vote is to keep wall.
January 19, 2013 at 12:36AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Yes, Pass through with barn door to close it when you want kitchen privacy
January 19, 2013 at 5:30AM     
Bonnie
Artistes,
I actually have thought of bookcases or cabinets high up with a ladder. I LOVE that look!

Im leaning towards no wall now
January 19, 2013 at 5:50AM   
Susanna
Bonnie,
I love it the more I think about it. Not sure how much money you want to spend on this but adding your pass-through window idea into the bookcase wall would be great too. Let the built-in bookcase frame out the pass-through window. Especially great if they had slide pocket window panels to match the French doors and close off the kitchen noise or whatever when you want...open up for parties...hmmm reminds me of the walls and windows that slide open in Bali and Hawaii.
I can see the bookcase wall in a distressed but warm gray. There is a photo of a bookcase wall with sliding ladder in gorgeous gray with gold metallic accents on pinterest. It would be a good color for your loft. I will see if I can find it again.
Also, it would not have to be all books. You could even hardwire a tv in one, ceramics in another, stereo, antique globes.....sigh. I think I love your project.
January 19, 2013 at 9:10AM     
jansseninteriors
I would not remove the wall.

Where do the other two doors in the kitchen lead? Could you close up either or both of those?

If you could close off the door in the corner (between the sink and fridge) you could put an "L" shaped kitchen in the space (with a full size fridge?), and a huge farm house style dining table with a large light fixture in the corner (where you have a hutch now). The view from the living room through the french doors would then be of your dining area, with the kitchen work space hidden from view. The style of kitchen that you like works with a large dining table in the same space.

You haven't given the dimensions of the space, or explained where those two other doors lead, or why you have a sofa in the kitchen. I think that seeing the sofa and lamps through the french doors is the biggest problem right now. Not enough information has been provided to work out what can be done, but it seems that you need more wall space to build a kitchen appropriate to a 3,000 square foot apartment. If you remove that wall, then you have no place to put a refrigerator (unless you close off a door) and you have an even smaller kitchen.
January 19, 2013 at 10:47AM     
Darzy
Yes, a passthrough is a good option. Shutters? doors, bar stool counter??
January 19, 2013 at 1:18PM     
Bonnie
artistea,

i love your idea of a wall of shelving (perhaps open and closed) around a pass thru! I could use the storage space, too. and i must have a ladder! :)

jansseninteriors,

the kitchen is roughly 24' x 14'. The wall with the sink and appliances is the one that is 24'. We have already played with the idea of moving the door near the refrigerator and making that an "L", with or without a pass through. The other door leads to a powder room and that cannot be moved. The daybed in the kitchen was placed there temporarily and we have come to like lounging on it but It definitely can go.

what are suggestions for the rest of the room if:

we move the door near the refrigerator and make an "L" on the wall where the refrigerator currently stands. We install lower storage and perhaps a pass thru and open shelves, open cabinets, whatever, above that. If we leave a large dining table at the end of the room (we would either replace the one we have or have it stripped, stained and get more interesting chairs) and removed the metal table/island, hutch and the day bed (and didn't have an island), Im afraid that the room would be too unbalanced "weight-wise", so to speak; the mass would not be distributed evenly. do you know what i mean?

We temporarily removed the metal table/island and the room feels much better--bigger, more open without it so I dont think I want one.

we had a weird idea about having a table top extend from the window sill that is across from the sink. we have a nice view of a church steeple and mountains that we rarely get to enjoy. and/or put a banquette in the corner where the now hutch is with a little table. or a couple of comfortable chairs.

Obviously, we are all over the place with this kitchen. It would be much easier to go to a kitchen design store, point to a display and say "I want that one!" But I won't cave, I love the creative challenge!

Thanks for all the help and great suggestions!!
January 19, 2013 at 2:00PM     
Bonnie
Darzy,

you ask " Shutters? doors, bar stool counter??"

This is another dilemma. If, instead of opening up the wall we leave it as is and make it onto an "L", we would want to install cabinets/furniture for lower storage there. We could make the counter wider to accommodate bar stools but people sitting there would be looking thru the pass through into the living room rather than into the kitchen.

We could put in an island with seating but, as I mentioned above, when we temporarily removed the metal table/island, we loved the openness. I guess if we remove the daybed and put in an island, it would feel bigger. Oh, what to do, what to do!!
January 19, 2013 at 2:28PM   
Bonnie
With everyone's help and suggestions, we just finalized the design of the kitchen, ordered the cabinets, appliances and lighting! The kitchen should be completed in about 2 months. We will post pictures of it and the other rooms that were painted and tweaked. Thanks! I think it will have the look I was hoping for!!
August 17, 2013 at 5:45PM     
PRO
Rustica Hardware
If your still interested in barn doors and hardware browse through our site there are many options. See: http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
August 19, 2013 at 1:44PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
You have a lot going on. Yes do kitchen more industrial. It could work.
August 19, 2013 at 2:06PM   
craljh
Is the wedding bed your sleeping bed or do you have a dedicated bedroom ?
August 19, 2013 at 2:42PM   
PRO
Real Sliding Hardware
HI Bonnie,

If you are still interested in utilizing barn doors, we create Real Barn Door Kits that can be customized to suit your needs. We would love to discuss this project with you. You can contact us toll free at 800.694.5977 or by sending us an email at info@realslidinghardware.com. I have attached some photos for your inspiration.
August 23, 2013 at 9:14AM   
More Discussions
Ugly can conversion kit
Help! Put pendant lights in and they put this ugly...
textured walls and I want to put up my own wainscoting
We have textured walls and I was hoping to add faux...
Help with exterior color scheme for stucco, wood and red brick ranch
My one story tract home located near the beach in Los...
Basement smells
Completely gutted, only the studs and concrete floor...
Frameless glass shower door gap
What is the industry standard width of the space between...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.