Professionals
Users
kitchen
kchorn
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with all
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
If you post more photos of the space and give us an idea of your style preferences, we'll have all sorts of ideas for you.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:51PM
kchorn
more pics
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:48PM
kchorn
more pics
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:50PM
kchorn
more of my kitchen help
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:52PM
PRO
LM Designers
There isn't any counter top overhang for the stools. It is awkward to sit there since there is no place for your legs. Hard to tell much from the pictures.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:52PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It would help if you removed everything and then take new pics.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:55PM
PRO
Eagledzines
What is on the wall opposite the refrigerator?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:35PM
Manon Floreat
You have a nice looking kitchen. It looks like some storage solutions and organization would make the most of it. I recommend that you assess what you need and use most regularly and store things not used as frequently.

As mentioned, the counter stools aren't particularly functional. I would remove them and the hanging baskets and pots over the island. The table cloth over the island could be removed as well. If it's the color you like, consider seat cushions or curtains for the window in that shade, instead.

If your budget allows, you may want to consider a microwave above the stove. That will free up some counter space. You can also look into cabinet storage systems for your pots and pans. Many hardware stores offer kits for DIY installation.

I think a that's a good place to start. Once you've purged and organized, you'll have beautiful looking kitchen upon which to add the finishing touches!
4 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:18PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
A larger light above the table to proper scale would be more appropriate. Have you considered painting the island black? I think the contrast against the light floors and cabinets would look awesome! What about painting the wall behind the table too? Some sort of fabric window treatments would add more character to that area also! Good luck.....
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:52AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:54AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:56AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Or the above red island...
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:56AM
kchorn
What color do you think I should paint the kitchen? The rest of the house is a green color. I like maple sugar looks like an orange would that be appropriate or not for the wall colors? I love your ideas I though it was cool to have the pots hanging I guess not.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:26AM
betsykunderhill
You might want to think of putting up Bead board on the wall's, about four feet high all around the kitchen including back plash behind oven, sink in white to tie in with your cabinets. Then paint the rest of the walls in your Maple sugar, them the trim in racoon fur (Benj. Moore) to tie with the black appliances. ceiling should be lighting white color (Benj. Moore). Window treatments (long) and new chandelier over kitchen table.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 6:32AM
Jayme H.
It's hard to pull off pot rack in smaller spaces, so don't feel bad! They are cool, and lots of people like them though. I think you could pull off a color in the kitchen esp. since you have white cabinets. The only thing with an orange tone I would worry about it it making your floor and island look orangy, but I could be totally wrong also. Bring samples and put them right next to the varying surfaces in the room. Colors can look a lot different at home in different lighting/against different flooring/stains...best of luck!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 6:42AM
kchorn
You might want to think of putting up Bead board on the wall's, about four feet high all around the kitchen including back plash behind oven, sink in white to tie in with your cabinets. Then paint the rest of the walls in your Maple sugar, them the trim in racoon fur (Benj. Moore) to tie with the black appliances. ceiling should be lighting white color (Benj. Moore). Window treatments (long) and new chandelier over kitchen table.

The above comment when you say trim what area's do you mean? And would I keep the bead board white? I am also considering painting the island what color would work there? tks
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 7:06AM
patriciarhall
your idea book Casey Grace design kitchen is a great inspiration room for you to emulate. Your cabinetry and hardware are already similar. See how subtly the red is brought in to the space with a towel and fresh flowers. Also note the micro over the stove to free up counter space. You've got a great kitchen to work with!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:25AM
kchorn
Do you have a picture of it I am not able to find?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:34AM
patriciarhall
it is almost at the end of your idea book pictures and labeled Casey Grace design
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 7:58AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Agree micro over stove. Checkout granite companies for remnant pieces, maybe ubtuba or any darker color, very inexpensive to do, for the top of your island with an overhang to use with your stools. Keep the island wood as is. Clean off all bric-a-brac. Choose patterned fabrics for long (95")window panels between and ends of windows as well as chair cushions. Select paint colors from the fabrics. Buy a sample or qt. of several colors of your choosing, paint 2 coats on poster board and place around your room on each wall and look at each in day and night light. And PLEASE paint your ceiling as well, not white..either the same color as the walls or a lighter shade. Larger light over table and possibly an "island" light fixture with some black wrought iron. Then accessorize..less is more.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 8:03AM
betsykunderhill
Ok this is Betsy who posted about the bead board and colors. When I meant trim, I meant your ceiling and floor Molding. You can check out the colors on Benjamin . Moore web site. type in your Maple sugar and they will also give you colors that go well with it. p.s. Lightning white is not white. I would put the bead board white to go with the cabinets. You could always buy a small sample at Home depot and some samples of the paint to.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 9:46AM
Jack Mathew
Your kitchen to me just needs unmasking ,the key to me is having the second room with the small table the same neutral color as the kitchen that will make the room feel apart of the kitchen and make the kitchen feel bigger, your island bench looks like your second table i would use that more a kitchen bench for prepping your food and do away with the table cloth and if the top underneath is no longer presentable, don't stress because the list of options you have is long ( stone , marble , wood , Formica ) and there will be something you like.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 8:32PM
pivoines
Symplify ,symplify , symplify. too much stuff, remove the tablecloth and the stools from that beautiful island, only use it as a prep space, leave it bare, ready for work. install an over the stove microwave if at all possible, enlarge the table so that all the chairs are around it, I would consider painting the legs of the table black, to tie in with the fridge. Get a much bigger pendant over the table, center it with a hook if need be , but it looks pretty centered now, install it lower . 36" above the table. If you want the wreath , take it off the french door and hang it on the wall instead , don't cover the pretty door. I agree with letting go of the pot hanger , it confuses the island's utility.nothing hanging from the ceiling (so past it and not even useful just looks cluttered) .If you need the basket on the top of the fridge, get a bigger one so the content does not show. clear the front of the fridge, on the side wall of it, install a large cork board where you can pin your calendar , messages, pics etc... I would stain the wood on the counter top an ebony black , to tie it in with black appliances and modernize the look. Then I would put the decorative cups above the stove , in a straight line so they would look as if they are on a shelf. I think your kitchen would look very lovely ,I also think your windows need valances, just to give weight to that side of the kitchen. very simple ones and the base color of any one of your decorative cup would work. You could choose a plaid or any pattern you like as the rest of your decor is neutral. Please post pics afterward as I think it will look spectacular. have fun !
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 6:10AM
kchorn
I would stain the wood on the counter top an ebony black ?? What do you mean the edging around the countertops. What would you do with this island. I keep it covered because it needs help on the surface. I want to put granite on it if I can afford.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:22AM
PRO
Eagledzines
If you can find a granite company, some of them offer discounts on remnants hanging around. You might find one to fit your island. You would still have to pay to have an edge put on it and cut to size.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:09PM
pivoines
granite is a good idea but it stains easily take a darker color if you do it. Look into quartz also, which is almost indestructible . as for the ebony stain part, it is for the wood border from your counter top, the edging.Your kitchen is going to be amazing.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:22PM
kchorn
The Ladies of Houzz are Amazing I can't say how helpful this has been. I have more to come this is a house that needs repainting all rooms and redone. Look forward to all your suggestions. HOUZZ is AMAZING
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:20PM
Karen Williams
looking at the picture to me the room looks quite dark, first thing to go for me would be those awful venetian blinds, maybe replace them with what we in aus call plantation shutters. they can be white or stained, you know sometimes the simplest solution is the best option. what style is the rest of the house, is it single story or two story, With the windows in the picture and the placement of the door a dining area that is called banquette would be ideal. it is space saving and can be very functional.
my favourite kitchen style is french provincial Whatever you choose should match the overall style of the whole house. For me canary yellow and white always gives a cheery feel to a kitchen. as does duck egg blue and white with canary yellow touches. Kitchens are the heart of the house so make it clean lines and bright colour and you can't go wrong. try putting in a hideaway unit to store bulky items like toasters etc. if there is a way of doing away with your island then go for it as they take up just so much space, unless of course it is moveable them it can be put against a wall.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:26PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.