Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need an elegant solution for hiding second TV
meganbowen
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I love sports, so much so that we have two TVs. He doesn't care how terrible it looks with two TVs in our family room (my Mom told me it looks like we live in a bar!) but I care. I want to disguise the second TV (on the left) when we are not using it. I am thinking of hanging it on the left wall on an arm that can swing out when we want to use it, and back against the wall when we aren't using it. I am looking for suggestions on how to conceal the second TV. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpoulsom
Your pic looks very dark, so I can't tell what style you have going on, BUT
you could build a box onto the wall large enough for the tv to fit into. Add hinged or bi-fold doors to the box. Close it up when not in use and open sesame when you need it!
Have you looked in the search box here on houzz....just put in "hiding tv" in photos...lots of great ideas!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:21PM
lefty47
HI -- Oh , those darn husbands ! Can you disguise into another room ?!! OK then if not ,then yes hang it on the wall with a bracket with a console table under ( the one there is fine)and some art over and around to make it less visible .Remember not to hang the TV up so high . Painting the wall a dark color would also help. There are also shallow wall cabinets that will hide a TV away or you can have something made. Or mount some large picture frame molding on the wall around it once you have it up. If you hang some nice drapes that will help -so it doesn't look like a bar !
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 3:25PM
mpoulsom
here is a hidden tv that is above a fireplace...but they used the barn door hardware for sliding the doors away from the tv.

[houzz=
]

another option would be to mount it on the wall and put 2 tall skinny bookcases on either side of it, so that it doesn't stand out, and is somewhat recessed. You can get 2 expedit bookshelves from ikea for $60 each that would look fine and could also be used for art pieces, books, or whatever else you may need it for.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 3:32PM
meganbowen
Thanks for the suggestions! mpoulsom- Any ideas on where I can get instructions for building something like this? Yes, I need to put some drapes up! This room needs some work, but the major eyesore for me is the TV and stand. Once I get the TV up on the wall and get rid of the stand, I can start addressing some of the other issues. Thank you!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:51AM
onthefence
I've always liked the TV lift cabinets. I know you can buy the cabinets (pricey!) but I've seen the hardware separately as well. This pic is a bedroom but gives an idea.

0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:05AM
mpoulsom
Megan, This Old House has a short video on building a cabinet....if you go to their site it's under "How to build a wall-hung tv cabinet"......you might also check youtube. It's amazing how many tutorial videos are on there about all kinds of home improvement and projects.
There is another idea about building a frame for your tv on "Remodelaholic".... so that it looks like a piece of art hanging on the wall, but with a black screen of course...heavy duty framing around it though and built out on sides with a shallow box.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:56AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:13AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can purchase a console that the tv is installed down into it and then it raises up when you need it and back down when you don't. Would be a nice furniture piece.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:16AM
nikitasmom
Build a lightweight rectangular frame. Cover it with some artistic looking fabric. (large poppies etc.) Then hang it over the tv when not in use. If you lose the cabinet the tv is on then you could just set the tv on the other cabinet and add legs to frame to prop in front of the tv.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:30AM