powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Allison Berger crystal sphere sconce--need 6 sconces & can't afford even one--what to do?
waterchick
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So before anyone says, "I told you so" I already fell deeply in love with Allison Berger's crystal sphere sconces. They would be perfect for our master bedroom. Unfortunately, I've been told they are around $3500 each--and we need 5. We gutted our bedroom to install insulation prior to having our second child (our room was freezing) and added five sconces since we have tongue and groove above. We currently have no sconces and it's almost a year after the drywall went up!

Any ideas on what we could use instead? I've been searching and searching online now for over a year. Nothing comes close to the look of Allison Bergers sconces. Ylighting sells the Chelsea sconce that shares some elements (glass, black backplate) but just not sure if this will do the trick.

Price is a huge consideration as we need five, so nothing outrageously expensive (I can dream though right?). Thanks!
http://www.ylighting.com/sonneman-chelsea-wall-sconce.html
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It sounds to me you have answered your own question. If the ones you found have similar elements and materials I would use them. I would not spend that kind of money on a light fixture unless you have a thousand times that much laying around and collecting dust somewhere. I have clients who can afford these things I can't. God bless them that they can. It keeps a roof over my head but nor $3500 sconces on my walls. ;-)
January 7, 2013 at 3:22pm   
Darzy
Yes, your alternate choice looks similar for a fraction of the cost! Good find. : )
January 7, 2013 at 3:38pm   
groveraxle
According to this listing on eBay, they are actually over $5000 each. But you can get two of them for $5300 and this guy has four.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Unused-Alison-Berger-Holly-Hunt-Crystal-Sphere-Sconces-/160931535821?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D4113943747678863936%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D160881118487%26

If it makes you feel any better, he says they're really heavy, require professional installation, and probably need to have the wall reinforced to hold them.

I think the Chelsea sconces look great.
January 7, 2013 at 3:47pm   
orangecamera
In all seriousness, could you get less expensive black sconces, and then have someone take lead crystal vases or glasses and drill them to use as shades?

These are Waterford, and $100 for a set of 4.
http://na.wwrd.com/ae/us/drinkware-gift-sets/marquis-omega-double-old-fashioned-juice-12-oz-set-of-4/invt/024258477360/
January 7, 2013 at 4:07pm   
2dogssashatess
orangecamera you are a canny decorator :)
Why pay a ridiculous price when you have such good ideas:)
January 7, 2013 at 4:13pm   
orangecamera
2dogs, I'm glad you like my suggestion. :)
January 7, 2013 at 6:18pm   
waterchick
groveraxle--nice find. I've been combing Craigslist hoping someone would post a spectacular deal like that, although unfortunately still way out of my price range. And yes, I did not know about the weight...so on that note alone, they wouldn't work for us (it does make me feel slightly better).

orange camera--I've been toying around with that idea for quite some time. I actually found a chandelier at west elm which I was considering hacking apart, then rewelding to a new backplate to create 5 sconces. I don't know how to weld, but I like the challenge and have friends who do....so might still explore this idea!
http://www.westelm.com/products/eclipse-chandelier-w754/?pkey=cchandeliers-pendant-lighting&cm_src=chandeliers-pendant-lighting||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts on the sconces and the Chelsea one as a substitute. Much appreciated :-)
January 7, 2013 at 7:55pm   
Arlen Dau
I think Restoration Hardware also has globes this style too.
January 8, 2013 at 10:43am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.