Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master bath redo
mimibbest
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are redoing the master bathroom but keeping some of the existing elements to control costs. Mainly keeping existing cabinets and black granite tops. Replacing all faucets and shower heads with beautiful polished chrome hardware. Replacing shower tile and floor tiles; also replacing shower glass with frameless doors. Was thinking of a very neutral color scheme for tile with a travertine for the floor and a glass mosaic for the shower walls. Was thinking about a pale sea blue for paint. Question is whether there should be anything linking the three hard surfaces: black granite, travertine, and shower tiles? For instance, could add some kind of glass tile accent to floor? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
smldesigns
My first thought is that you need to repeat the black somewhere - perhaps as accent tile. My eye is drawn to the vanity and ignores everything else. If you don't want black, pick a dark color - maybe brown - something that has weight.
Since you are going with a neutral color scheme, I have used Farrow and Ball Borrowed Light with greys and bieges and love it.
http://us.farrow-ball.com/borrowed-light/colours//fcp-product/100235

One other thing-I have stayed in hotels with bathrooms with marble floors and if you get the polished it will be very slippery when wet.
January 7, 2013 at 6:40pm   
decoenthusiaste
Try black light fixtures, art and curtains over your tub. If you have room, add a hassock.
No 2
House in Sonoma
January 7, 2013 at 6:59pm   
lisarom
Get rid of those columns they look outdated and take up counter space
January 8, 2013 at 12:52am     
calikym
Do you need the drapes? I would change them and remove the columns as the person before me commented. You will also gain counter space.
January 8, 2013 at 12:59am   
diyjames
I agree Cali about the drapes going. The columns are ok. Very nice space though. I wouldn't change much beyond the fixtures you are considering. A change in light fixtures may be decent.
January 8, 2013 at 1:22am   
mimibbest
Drapes and light fixtures are definitely going. Would love to lose columns but my concern is that the granite underneath will not look the same as the granite on the rest of the vanity tops. If I rip them out and it doesn't match I'm stuck with replacing all of the granite, which I don,t want to do.

smildesigns, thanks for paint color -- exactly what I was thinking. And don't worry will never do any polished stone on a floor again ... did it once and learned my lesson. I'm thinking just a nice large scale rectangular honed travertine laid in a brick pattern....
January 8, 2013 at 8:12am   
mpoulsom
You could incorporate whatever glass tiles you choose for shower into a border for the floor. It would be beautiful!
I like the columns personally.
Where you have the drapes now...I would either have a mural painted, or would put mirror inside that whole space to mimic a window. Maybe add some pane detail to it and thick wood framing around with detail like your other woodwork. OR even add 2 more columns on either side of it to go with your columns on counter. It looks like there may be a window above that area. So just extend it down to look like it belongs there.

[houzz=
]
January 8, 2013 at 8:36am