Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help deciding what to do with my kitchen
New Again Home Interiors
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am growing tired of my dark kitchen. All of the cabinets are stained dark, and we have tan brown granite counter tops. I am considering painting the island (it has a copper counter top, which I LOVE), and the cabinets, mantle, corbels above and below the cooktop. Was thinking about layering the paint with a sage green (walls are Sherwin Williams Rice grain #6155, could go with darker shade like Sawdust #6158), then layering with a white, and distressing so the darker color shows through, or could just use white and distress. My home is rustic, so the distressed style would fit well. One of the photos shows the rough cedar beams that frame the bar, and run the ceiling in the adjoining family room. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandeangel
yes, it is very dark. I would update the hardware to something more subtle -not black and replace or remove the hanging pot rack. I think it would give the kitchen a roomier and even brighter feel. Also, I agree... The island top is very nice!
January 8, 2013 at 10:35AM   
PRO
Design Mode
I trust your ideas about your island, mantle and corbels. These are special features that could be lightened up with great effects on the room.
However, I have a different idea about the cupboards above the cooktop and mantle. Keep the mantle and corbels, then remove the cupboards and install a hood. The hood can be crafted in a Shaker or Mission style, stucco or copper, even.
Larger metal handles will suit your tall cupboards, and I find they are easier to grip and keep clean.
I found this picture below, credit to: http://picasaweb.google.com/trilliumcabinet/CabinetPhotos#5198071777445664562
January 8, 2013 at 10:56AM   
PRO
Appliances Connection
I think the kitchen seems dark because of an excess of copper. The cabinet color almost blends with the copper. You might benefit from more variation in color. I've seen some kitchens where the island was a different color from the cabinets or others where instead of painting the surrounding cream walls a lighter color (which I'm guessing you were trying to compensate for the darkness of the rest of the palette), try a brighter color (such as something with a yellow hue). If not, I also think it would look better if the tiles varied in color within the same palette (such as rustic stone colors) to give it a little Old World feel. Here are some pictures to give you some ideas.
January 8, 2013 at 11:33AM     
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
I have under cabinet lighting which does lighten the room a bit, any thoughts on painting? I can't really change the hardware without creating a domino effect throughout the home, the light fixtures, door knobs, etc are all the dark finish. I love the idea of the hood, but really want to make some changes while keeping cost down, which is why I thought of painting the cabinets on the island, and above/below the cooktop.
January 8, 2013 at 3:34PM   
John Seiffert
One idea would be to paint all cabinetry. All base cabinets the sage green and all upper cabinets whatever color that would suit the scheme. I would caution against the manipulation of the painting idea of yours, because you have the color and texture of the appliances, floor, counter tops, walls, trim, cabinets, tile and on and on. A kitchen is inherentlly busy to the eye, so it doesn't take much to make it a clash.
January 8, 2013 at 4:28PM   
Darzy
I think your idea of the distressed white is great. I think you'd also like the lighter effect on the column and the beam as well. That would lighten the space considerably. Nice kitchen!
January 8, 2013 at 4:41PM   
Tammy Sprinkle
I love the layout of your kitchen and the tile. Have you considered painting the cabinets light and the island another color? I love the distressed look on light pieces and dark pieces.

Another idea would be to paint the island light, along with the cabinet and corbels above the range and below as well, so that area stands apart from the cabinets, almost like a piece of furniture in the room.
January 8, 2013 at 4:45PM     
pauli12
Start with just painting the island a creamy white like Ben Moore, White Dove. I think will open it up really well. I just adore your beautiful cabinets. I would save that option for last.
January 8, 2013 at 4:48PM   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
You have many handsome elements in your kitchen and I love the copper island counter. The white crown moulding, trim and doors are too white for the cabinetry. which makes the wood seem darker. I would consider painting the trim a more cream color or even tan and then the walls a deeper tone of the back splash tile colors so the cabinets will not look so heavy against the walls and trim. I think you could either paint the post and beam the same color as the trim or white wash it in the cream color. I would consider painting the island more of a taupe color rather than white. It will still have the affect of lightening the kitchen, providing contrast to the copper top but still stand up to the black appliances better than white. I would eventually replace the black appliances with stainless. I would also consider having the granite counters honed which will make them look lighter and also a bit more rustic.
January 8, 2013 at 5:33PM     
PRO
Appliances Connection
If you like the range hood, you could get the hood in a lighter color and paint the island the same color. I agree that the bright white trim tends to make your cabinets seem darker than they actually are. If you want to stick to a very neutral palette, I think a small change in the tiles above the cooktop will be nice. Maybe a subtle mural like in the picture I shared. Also, it's a little bit daring, but experimenting with shades of yellow, sage green (like john suggested), and rustic reds might bring you some inspiration. It's something to think about.

Someone gave me the inspiration to think about painting the insides of the cabinets with a bright color. I think a rustic red would look great inside.
January 9, 2013 at 7:42AM