powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need accessories (and color) to liven-up the room. Ideas?
sandeangel
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We'd like to maintain the contemporary feel but warm it up a bit. Considered area rug but have 2 dogs and a toddler. A plant, maybe? Would appreciate any ideas:)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
anitajoyce
A rug is the first thing that comes to my mind. with pets, you can always select an area rug that doesn't show stains too easily and one that is easy to clean. Something with tans, beige and a little brown would be nice. Plants would be nice. With children make sure it is non poisonous if its on the floor or place it out of reach. Pillows and a throw in neutrals or a color ( like rust, tan, beige or orange) would also be nice to warm and liven up the room . Add a nice abstract picture or big flower picture over the fireplace unless you're going to place a tv there. On the coffee table add a big picture book and a small plant or a grouping of candles and a big coffee table book.
January 7, 2013 at 7:04PM     
sandeangel
Thank you, anitajoyce! All great ideas; Especially the flower picture!
January 7, 2013 at 7:42PM   
PRO
FSI Design
Area rug, art, and some good "silk" plants. For something modern and interesting the look of low succulent plants is pretty cool. Since your space is so neutral, I would add fun color in the pillows .... Citrus green or bright blues might feel young and fresh for a young family, take the color out of the art work you like...bright yellow if you go with anitajoyce's pretty floral.
January 7, 2013 at 7:49PM     
sandeangel
I will definitely get a rug. I was hesitant but realize the room needs it.
January 7, 2013 at 7:54PM     
Aja Mazin
A tall floral arrangement for the coffee table and a bamboo palm floor plant.
Add some pillows!
January 7, 2013 at 7:59PM     
sandeangel
Great color suggestions. Love the bamboo plant! Thank you, all!
January 7, 2013 at 8:50PM     
sealedesign
You could get a colored rug and paint the far wall the same color.
January 7, 2013 at 9:39PM   
Darzy
Since you have pets and a toddler, how about those Flor carpet tiles as an area rug? You can chose your own pattern/colors and if any tile is soiled you can hose clean or replace a tile if needed.

January 7, 2013 at 9:52PM     
sillyrachael
Natural woven jute, seagrass, or neutral (beige) thick piled rug. Mix of throw pillows with neutral colors like linen along with some bold large scale graphic prints. Rustic mirror above fireplace. Large scale rustic vase or bowls. End table (bronze metal with glass top) with lamp. You need a throw- burnt orange? to soften the look. Coffee table books. A few personal memetos, photographs of kids and dog. Nice room, have fun:)
January 7, 2013 at 9:55PM     
sillyrachael
Oh, here's a mirror too! Pillows from Etsy, other items PB...
January 7, 2013 at 9:58PM     
Aja Mazin
A couple of rugs:
January 7, 2013 at 10:40PM     
Dean Christopher
www.dcart.tumblr.com :)
January 7, 2013 at 11:15PM     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

add nice colorful silk cushions on the sofa to warm it up
add some paintings on the wall with abstract pictures and nice moulded frames
add some wooden vases with artifical flowers to enhance the look

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 7, 2013 at 11:33PM   
michigammemom
Warm up your beautiful room with some throw pillows. I like this combination from West Elm. Since you have a toddler, look for a large tribal basket for your cocktail table...unbreakable, colorful and practical.
January 8, 2013 at 5:10AM     
sandeangel
Thank you all for the flow of awesome suggestions. Really loving the pattern and colors!!
January 8, 2013 at 10:04AM   
sealedesign
Question I had: Should the fireplace texture be emphasized and brought into other elements. Should the fireplace be the focal point and will anything more colorful detract from it?
January 8, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Dar Eckert

some color will help to make your room more inviting.
Consider a coffee table that doesn't match the floor and without sharp corners for your toddler. When you choose wall art go for one great large piece instead of a bunch of small ones. Balance the art with a tall chrome and glass book case or modern one.
January 8, 2013 at 10:33AM     
Aja Mazin
I love your fireplace and think it should inspire the colours in the room.
January 8, 2013 at 10:39AM   
sealedesign
That is a gorgeous rug.
January 8, 2013 at 10:40AM   
sandeangel
Thanks, Aja. We actually had it redone- it's glass tile. It used to have an outdated tile front with white border and a white, mantle. I'll have to find and post "before" picture.
January 8, 2013 at 10:44AM     
sondramartina
I am raising 2 boys + husband + cat :)) and from my experience real Persian wool rug is the best thing I have ever had! It does not absorb dirt and dust ,you don't see the stains and pet hair .Everything else we had before and after that can not compare ...
January 8, 2013 at 11:15AM     
Aja Mazin
sondramartina,

I agree totally, but then I collect Persian rugs!

We have several that date back to the 1940's that are in exceptional condition.

Two things about Persian rugs I learned from my husband

1. After a rug is finished, and feels too stiff, it is not unusual to turn it face down and "drive over" it to
soften it.

2. Persian rugs should not be dry cleaned but washed using soap and water.
A self service car wash is great for individuals to thoroughly clean a rug!

A big plus is that Persian rugs are timeless and appreciate in value, unlike other rugs
January 8, 2013 at 11:46AM     
Dar Eckert

I saw this today and thought about your coffee table. Paint it red.
January 9, 2013 at 8:19AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I was never able to get pet urine out of wool rugs. Just my experience and I tried everything.

If you are looking for artwork, you do not want mass produced. You want something that is unique that you fall in love with. If you have the money, Park and West Galleries has some famous artists available with either originals or limited edition prints. They have a website. Sometimes the paintings go up in value. A lot of cruise ships have art shows on board - go have fun!

Also, Etsy.com is a website with artisans and craftsman from US and the world. Easy to contact each owner and they can sometimes customize what you need. Just input what you desire in the search engine such as photography and a theme - photography France or Venice or Coastal or Horses, Lighthouses. I have a photography shop on Etsy which is nancyhehmann. You also can locate decorator pillows on there. And for your toddler, Etsy has custom clothing. I have a cousin who purchases the cutest dresses -sometimes you can get them monogramed.

Plants are a great option! You can support a local nursery or Lowes actually has a good selection and pots. By the way, a Peace Lily can almost not be killed. I love Norfalk Island Pines too. And we have had a miniature lemon for years. Kids love to watch the lemons mature. Some plants are poisonous if eaten so research prior to purchasing. My son ate an ornamental pepper one time. Luckily it was hot enough he spit it out. Silk plants do not have that potential.

I hope my suggestions help. I know it sometimes can be difficult to shop with a toddler; but they are just too cute!
January 9, 2013 at 8:41AM   
mspringemann
Add a rug, plants maybe some art and bright colored pillows like reds, dark greens, etc. Pottery Barn has a nice selection on pillows but expensive. The room needs color and personality. It looks boring and drab the way it is.
January 9, 2013 at 9:22AM   
PRO
Cherrywood Studio
If you are not partial to a rug you need to get some colour into the room from somewhere else. Paintings, throws, throw pillows. The coffee table blends into the floor and is lost. Consider replacing it with a piece that will pop the room. The side table is also lost. You could consider the following from our studio.
January 9, 2013 at 10:18AM   
paminachka
Hi Sandeangel, in pictures you attached I see dark parquet flooring. I am fond of this color as it looks very stylish and modern. But there are many concerns about it, something like all scratches and stains can be seen on dark floor, or the room will look dark etc. Could you please share your experience with dark flooring? I need your advice.
Thanks
January 9, 2013 at 10:35AM   
PRO
The Creative Man
yes, add color. Decorative patterned pillows, accents of orange. A large rattan rug takes a lot of abuse. Wall hangings and pictures a must.
January 9, 2013 at 10:46AM   
hogan
Violet!!!
June 5, 2013 at 4:41PM   
June 5, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Laurence Tillett
I'd go with a rich colored rug in an overall pattern. oriental,rugs are very pet and child friendly....raised 6 kids and numerous pets on them. a round cocktail ottoman, or round coffee table to soften all the square corners. some bright modern prints on the walls and presto!....a classy, modern/eclectic room that you won't get tired of.
June 6, 2013 at 1:17PM