Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Guest room/office space
dmkrenik
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm embarrassed to post these photos but here it goes. This room is mainly used as my office. I'm in outside sales and use the room 2-4 hours/ day. The wrought iron bed is my childhood bed. How can I create a more inviting environment?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sue Ann Stevens
Can you post some more pictures that offer a better idea of the layout and other amenities in the room?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:48PM
AMN
Do you still want to keep the bedroom aspects of the room intact or make it just an office?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:51PM
dmkrenik
Here is a better look at it. It's a small room.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:55PM
dmkrenik
I would like to keep the bed.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:01PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You seriously do need to have an organizational system built into your space.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 8:06PM
groveraxle
Here is combination bedroom/office that's small but efficient and welcoming. The bed is turned sideways and becomes a daybed, and the desk is surrounded by built ins. It's pretty monochromatic which tends to keep the room calm and make it seem larger. You could do something similar with a fresh new color scheme, some bookcases painted to match the walls, new bedding and some throw pillows.

2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:25PM
claudiann
Can you push the bed against the wall? Then I would use bolster pillows and spread to make it look like a daybed. Is this the bedroom you use? It seems like there is a lot of furniture if it isn't . I would put all of the photos together on the wall. Pinterest has neat ideas for different ideas. You have so many different frames that it looks disorganized. Do you need two night stands? Could you get better use from a short wooden filing cabinet ? Is the dresser used for business or storage ? You also have a little table in front of the window. I would get rid of any of those that I could. Any furniture I kept in the room I would paint the same color...black or dark brown. I would add color on the walls. Can you put your desk in the pretty window space? Could you put the dresser in the closet?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:41PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Is this a regularly used guest room perhaps? I would consider removing everything extraneous. (side tables, items in bay window, dresser if not used for office stuff) The bed looks like a double and may look awkward placed sideways to look like a daybed.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 10:25AM
dmkrenik
The room is primarily my office and rarely used as a guest room. I have kids going off to college next year. The furniture will be nice for them to use. In the meantime I need to get it out of there! It is a full bed and I agree it would look awkward as a day bed. I agree with new paint, and organize!!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:16PM
onthefence
I see a closet to the left of the desk. Is it large enough to accommodate some shelving for office items?

Would it be possible to have some outlets placed in the closet so printers, phone chargers, etc could be in there? They'be out of your way when working and easily hid when you have guests.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:25PM
Darzy
It really won't look awkward to turn the bed and put against the wall. Years ago I put a king size headboard against the wall, then turned the "double" bed lenghtwise on the headboard. I put the pillows on the headboard, with toss pillows on the headboard. It looked like a king size bed for the shortest people on the planet! It was actually kinda cool looking. At first glance people wonder, how do you sleep on this bed?! Silly, you just have your head on the "end" of the bed and not use the "head" board. lol
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:28PM
dmkrenik
There are shelves one on side of closet. The other is open for guests to hang clothes. I hope I can convince my husband to help me move all this furniture and paint!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:55PM
dmkrenik
I love the color combination of this room. Maybe I push the bed closer to the window? I happily donated the side table and two lamps from the room this morning. The black trunk will move to the den and store blankets.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:30PM
dmkrenik
Reduction in crap part one.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:29PM
onthefence
I salute you! (and would like to provide you with a map to my house)
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:36PM
dmkrenik
Update to the room. I moved desk into bay window, removed most of the "spare" items, new comforter. What about a side table that can be used for additional work space and double as nightstand? I may need to remove dresser as well.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 7:53PM
claudiann
It looks great. Do you have enough room for the dresser next to the bed by what I assume is the door?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:08PM
dmkrenik
Thank you. I could squeeze it in the spot but it would leave little space in-between closet and bed. Trying to "save" furniture for kids future use can be a real pain!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:30PM
lisabarnett67
I would take the bed apart and store it if you can't move it sideways, and replace it with a sofa-bed. Ikea has some great small love-seat size ones. Maybe you could take just the headboard and footboard off, would that make the daybed idea any easier? It really eats up a lot of your space. If it was a day bed or a sofa-bed, you could put some shelving on the wall above for added storage.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:06AM