Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Want to build a built in.
Jen Hinkle
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love built ins and would love to make this space in my kitchen into a built in bankette. Any suggestions as the windows go down so low? Just moving in and haven't changed anything yet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
It's possible to build a banquette with a very low back.

January 7, 2013 at 7:48pm     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
This is a nice spacious room! What about a banquette that's not built-in? It could be a free-standing curved upholstered bench with a low back that mirrors the shape of your window wall and would be placed about 12' forward of the windows themselves. It would be up on legs and you'd be able to mop under it and periodically pull the whole thing forward to give a good clean behind it.

This would keep your room looking light and airy. Once the size and shape of the banquette/bench are determined, you'll be able to see how large a table you want to accommodate.

Another idea would be to have a table and chairs arrangement where the window side of the table has a long upholstered bench with a back, and there are chairs at both ends and on the kitchen side.

Unless you were changing the windows, I wouldn't recommend building in anything there, but others may have different opinions. I am interested to see who comes into this discussion next!

You can also do a search on 'banquettes' on houzz photos. I did and came up with these examples, but there are hundreds more...
Blount Design Goleta Residence Dining Room Admiral's House
January 7, 2013 at 7:49pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@ Cynthia again your advise is perfect! even the pics are good. I hope this homeowner appreciates the advise she is getting. Jen Hinkle darling if you don't follow this advise you are missing a great opportunity to really do the room right. Heck, you should send Cynthia a check. Those ideas are that spot on perfect.
January 7, 2013 at 7:56pm     
Jen Hinkle
Cynthia,
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I agree that the advice you gave me is very insightful. I love the idea of an unattached banquette that still mirrors the shape of the windows. It will definitely offer easier cleaning. I found this photo here mostly to illustrate the idea of 2 tables that can be pulled together for a more cohesive look or kept apart for easy access for many. Do you think this would work in this scenario?
January 7, 2013 at 8:58pm   
Jen Hinkle
Dytecture,

I had seen that photo and had pondered that option but worried about the access to behind the built in and how to clean the window as well as the floor. I think their window effectively ends at that point where mine wouldn't. What do you think of a stand alone banquette as mentioned earlier?
January 7, 2013 at 9:09pm   
Darzy
Again, I ditto Cynthia Taylor-Luce for her ideas. But, I wouldn't build or have a banquette here tho. Spend that custom bench on fabulous furniture and keep all the light in. Only two people are willing to sent on the banquette anyway..one on each end. It's like going to a restaurant and nobody wants to sit in the center. : )
January 7, 2013 at 9:41pm   
PRO
Dytecture
The movable banquette suggested by Cynthia was a great one and just slipped my mind. This would provide maximum flexibility
January 8, 2013 at 7:56am   
patriciarhall
my architect friend placed upholstered setees on either side of a low round table for the breakfast area and it is stunning, functional and easy to keep.
January 8, 2013 at 8:18am   
More Discussions
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...
Fireplace Disaster!
Hi everyone! I am a second year law student with a...
Home office
Is this desk home office friendly? Wot do u think of...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.