Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need design idea for small office/mud room/pantry
amiromanowski
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are looking at a house and are hung up on a sun room off of the kitchen. This house lacks a mud room, pantry, and small office. We were hoping to remodel this space but have a hard time trying to put it together. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Kira Nguyen
I love that you have this extra space next to the kitchen! You can easily combine a small office with a pantry, perhaps like this:

I'm not as sure about where a mud room fits in, since that should really be close to the entry of your home. Where is the front door in relation to this kitchen?
January 8, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Shayna McElveny
It may be a little loud to have the office next to the kitchen. I know when I cook, I am a mess all over the place. What about a wine cellar?
January 8, 2013 at 2:03pm     
amiromanowski
The kitchen space is in the back of the house. The driveway comes up behind the house as well so we thought it made sense to have an entry/mudroom towards the kitchen so you don't have to track dirty shoes and groceries through the front door. The current rear entry to the house comes through the family room (which we'd like to change). Thanks for the comments, we welcome any other ideas!
January 8, 2013 at 2:20pm   
PRO
House of Holland - TX
Do you happen to have the floor plan?
January 8, 2013 at 2:29pm   
decoenthusiaste
Looks to be room enough and the office part is already built in. A couple more standing shelf systems with doors for the pantry and all you have to add is a door in place of the middle window.
Of course, there's more to it than that, but you do have the space.
January 8, 2013 at 2:32pm   
Darzy
Just put doors on the open desk shelves and the shelves behind the desk and use that as your pantry shelving.
January 8, 2013 at 2:37pm   
Jayme H.
If your garage is attached and there is space, I recommend the "mud room" area out there..I had my huband build a full wall of easily accessible closet space for storage of boots, shoes, skates, coats, etc..so as to not drag them in the house. The small office area is there now, but if that doesn't fit your lifestyle it could be changed. It does look like a dining nook area. I don't know that I would put a pantry in that spot unless it was all enclosed in cabinets nicely/then maybe a small cafe table and chairs in there? Any basement or extra bedroom for an office?
January 8, 2013 at 2:45pm