powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What type of decor do I put in these large niches?
Katy Walston
January 7, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have two large niches in our family room that I need help with. What do you put in them? We aren't really art work type. I don't want to put tapestries in them either. Any suggestions? They are 5 ft wide, 7 ft tall and 18 inches deep. I'm attaching a photo of a plaque that's 36x36 that I'm thinking about purchasing...but they only have the 1. I'd have to find another color and design for the other? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars decorating these niches but they need something. Thank you in advance for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
It would help to see the rest of the room. You could go to allposters.com for a wide variety of prints and posts that wouldn't be too expensive. I'm sure you could find something there that would be appropriate. Here are two prints of plaques shown in one of the frames available - you can buy different sizes framed and unframed.
January 7, 2013 at 11:09PM   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
Hello

just put a nice vase with colorful and well decorated artifical flowers in that. it will be cheap and best thing to do and flowers will give you warmth in the house as well

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 7, 2013 at 11:21PM   
Denise Webb
I have several of these throughout my home. Although mine aren't as large I choose candle scones that are a nice filler for such a large space. And some nice candles for decoration only.
January 8, 2013 at 12:15AM   
pollyannagal
This is such a symmetrical arrangement that you should have the same thing in both niche. I agree with Denise's suggestion of candle sconces. Look for something in wrought iron that would link nicely to the curly metal detail in the central niche and would provide depth. Although it would be impractical to light the candles on a day to day basis they could be lit for special occasions and please do make sure you light them and burn them for an hour or so when you first put them in as an unburned candle in a wall sconce looks too artificial.
The niches are very large so go as big as you can with the sconce, or depending on the design use more than one. To group a few or to make a single sconce look more dramatic in the space you may need to mount them on a back board that will serve to frame it and ground it in the space.
January 8, 2013 at 12:27AM