powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need urgent help for bathroom layout / update!!! Must sell by the end of January!
thislittlehouse
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi guys,

We need to quickly put this apartment on the market and the bathroom is the worst room - and the first you see when waking through the front door! The first pic is from the hall, after just stepping inside. The second pic is from the lounge room door which is directly opposite the bathroom door.

I DON'T want to move the plumbing for the bath/shower or toilet.

I am thinking about eliminating the laundry trough completely and instead having a new vanity there. I will need to keep a space beside it for the washing machine.
Where the vanity is currently, I intend on putting towel rails.

Any thoughts?

:) Elise
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would put a full height linen storage cabinet in where the laundry trough is.
January 8, 2013 at 8:20am     
onthefence
I think I'd add some slightly larger hardware to the vanity as well. Where were you going to place the towel rails?
January 8, 2013 at 8:33am     
decoenthusiaste
Is that a florescent light box? I agree with the idea of a linen cabinet in place of the laundry trough. I'd consider a stacking washer and dryer opposite it. Then I'd replace the vanity with a pedestal sink to open the tub side area. Removal of the light box is a must. A new light fixture and a pretty mirror will make a major change.
January 8, 2013 at 8:41am   
Sigrid
Frankly, I'd get a bright red rug and some bright red towels and let the buyer sort out the layout of the bathroom. Put a red vase in with some dried flower or grass.
January 8, 2013 at 8:41am     
thislittlehouse
@onthefence I was thinking of removing the vanity completely and putting towel rails under the window there. I'd have a new vanity where the laundry trough is instead. All the hardware will change for sure!
January 8, 2013 at 3:06pm   
thislittlehouse
@decoenthusiaste I think it's a fan? It's awful. I considered a cupboard there whre the trough is... Depending on feedback I may still enclose that area with a cupboard. Unfortunately I can't put anything opposite, it's a solid wall.
January 8, 2013 at 3:09pm   
Darzy
If you are removing the laundry trough, I would just put a great looking ottoman there and hang crystal robe hooks hung above on the wall. A white area rug, crystal knobs for the hardware and perhaps a fab light fixture on the ceiling. So, kinda glam up the look, without spending on new cabinets.

January 8, 2013 at 3:15pm   
mollythecollie
It looks like there used to be a cabinet above the laundry trough. I would consider putting up a new small cabinet or open shelving in that space. If you have buyers coming through this month, you won't lot a lot of construction and it's mess occuring while they are there!! A bright rug and towels will make it look more inviting.
January 8, 2013 at 3:21pm   
spitlik
Add as much storage as you can and a little color
January 8, 2013 at 3:27pm   
houssaon
From what I read, I take it that there is a washing machine next to the trough? Or there should be. If you had a stackable washer and dryer next to the trough, then you could put cabinets over the laundry sink. It would be functional and make the tough less prominent. If I were looking for an appartment, I'd like to have a convenient laundry area, even if it isn't the prettiest. Then you could switch out the vanity for a pedestal and have more room for a towel bar. On the other hand, you might be better off leaving as it. What about the flooring.

The biggest eyesore though is that fixture over the sink. Is it a light fixture and a fan? Can it be removed and replaced?
January 8, 2013 at 3:28pm     
onthefence
Elise, would the cost of the vanity removal, new vanity and various wall repairs be something you'd recoup within your sale price? That is, if you spent $5000 on changes now, would you be able to get $5000 more than you're going to ask now?

If not, I'd stick with surface changes and let a new buyer make the changes they want.

I definitely see the need for a new light fixture and hardware though.

It's hard to say about a cupboard to replace where the laundry trough is. It looks like you'd be blocking light and the open feeling of the shower.
January 8, 2013 at 3:44pm   
mveasey
Hi
I like the pedestal sink idea a lot, or simply a sink/ cabinet unit, like the Godmorgen units from Ikea. I would nit have them flush to the wall That will create more breathing space. I believe the thing above the mirror might be a window with frosted glass?
The space needs softening to look pleasant and inviting, you ve probably heard all the "spa" talk regarding bathrooms. In Britain the vents on the windows are common. If you would do a pretty cotton shower curtain and have it tucked next to the sink, that would camouflage the vent. You could actually do a second, same curtain on the trough side, but to pull over the tall cupboard and stacked washer/ dryer arrangement.
I would take the trough out, you dont need two sinks in an apartment bathroom but storage is always useful.
I would remove the mirror on the left wall, maybe put a framed little print there above the towelbar.
Get a pretty bathroom rug,some cushy towels,a plant or some beautiful flowers, and some nice smelling soap for the showings.
Good luck
January 8, 2013 at 3:52pm     
mveasey
First photo, like the ikea units, comes in white, wood, dark,light...looks clean and airy
Second one, perhaps more traditional one
Third photo, nice example of pedestal sink, disregard floor.
January 8, 2013 at 4:48pm     
thislittlehouse
@houssaon thanks for your comment - I have been wrestling with the idea of getting rid of the laundry area. I fully intend on keeping the washer in the space to the left of the trough... But I just think the trough itself is so ugly! Especially as its one of the first things you see on entering the apartment!
January 8, 2013 at 5:34pm   
thislittlehouse
@mveasy THANK YOU for all of those ideas!

And you are correct - above the sink is a mirror, then a frosted glass window with a fan in it. Yuck!
January 8, 2013 at 5:35pm