Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with small boys room
dianaao
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hey, this is my son's room. It's small therefor i find it very diffucult to make it nice. Can you help me out pls? Thx!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
When you have a small room like this it's easy to run out of floor space and then you need to start thinking vertically. A unit like this will give you two beds, a dresser, plenty of storage and a desk. And maybe a little fun!
[houzz=
]
January 8, 2013 at 2:04am     
olldroo
Nice colour scheme for starters. You could add more pillows or cushions to the bed, one in red, one in green to really decorate it or add more pillows down the wall to make the bed a sitting area as well, but only you would know what would be practical and what would work there. Definitely, otherwise, vertical is the way to go.

You don't say how old your son is so assume he is only young and will want more space as he grows. Not sure how much wall space there is on his desk wall but I would look look for a wall unit that takes up as much space as possible, giving him a larger desk and some drawers. Shelving above would give a lot of room for books and toys and anything else he wants to display and should last him for many years. Let his imagination take over for the wall beside his bed. Is Spiderman transferable? Move him along the wall and if he is loving Spider Man look for removable decals to give him lots of Spiderman, cobwebs, whatever. Then beside his desk you can hang a corkboard to hang his artwork or projects. As he grows you can change Spiderman out for his fad of the moment or for him to hang school and sports photos, pennants, even add more shelves for trophies. There are many other decorative ways to dress this wall but I feel kids love to put their own stamp on their rooms - make it all about him and who he is.
January 8, 2013 at 3:47am     
michigammemom
I would be inclined to relocate the bed to the wall where the little desk is so that the bed is not in front of the window and radiator. This inspiration room has similar bedding and a youthful wall color and art.
January 8, 2013 at 4:57am     
PRO
Lumina Pets
Hi Dianaao...if you need any lighting ideas please visit our site at www.luminapets.com
January 8, 2013 at 10:19am     
mpoulsom
Are you handy with painting? If so, I would do some large horizontal stripes on one or two of the walls in some of the comforter colors...or just use one of the colors and do a flat paint stripe and then do a glossy stripe. You could even use the color you have now and just buy the glossy paint. You could then move spidey atop one of the stripes like he is perched there. Or you could do the same idea and do a skyline of buildings for him to be perched atop. Just use a shade darker that what you have done for the city silhouette and leave the wall color blocked out for the windows in the skyscapers. Just simple squares.
I also like michigammemom's idea of moving bed to the other wall, if there is enough room. Moving the desk to the window wall and adding floating shelves to the right of it.
I like the green and the blue with pops of the red here and there.
January 8, 2013 at 11:05am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like doing built-ins that can grow with the boy. It should be something that will work for him as a teen. I really like this beach house look.

January 8, 2013 at 11:15am     
mpoulsom
Here's a silhouette of ny skyline. You print this out and get a projector to project on the wall larger. Get a ruler / yardstick / straight edge and pencil the outline, then paint it a shade darker, leaving squares wall color for windows showing through. OR something big and graphic and cool, like the chrysler building with spidey!
January 8, 2013 at 11:23am     
groveraxle
I would get rid of those white walls and paint either a blue or green a bit lighter than those in the comforter. That will warm the room up instantly. (See michigammemom's inspiration pic above.) Then throw in a few Spidey touches--posters, pillows--but keep the room monochromatic so it won't feel so small.

January 8, 2013 at 12:00pm     
dianaao
Thanks nice ideas. The wall where the desk stands is shorter than the window side. I just couldnt zoom out anymore ;)

Would it be better to replace the closet with the desk?

I cant place a unit in the room, as i think it will look like i placed a big chunk in a small room ;)

Do you think its good to place closets or shelves above the bed or above the desk?
January 8, 2013 at 1:23pm   
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
Here is a loft bed frame with a desk from Ikea that I have seen in several kids' rooms. It gives you more floor space, and looks cool too!
January 8, 2013 at 1:30pm     
Jayme H.
A bunk bed with a desk on the bottom? If not too clunky of a bed, maybe it could work. Also really like some of the other ideas!!
January 8, 2013 at 1:31pm     
Crystal Chavez
I like the idea of painting the walls as well, something that could be neutral with a pop of color? Or some interesting pattern on one wall and a simple color on the other walls? I'm loving these I found...

Toddler Room

kids bedroom

Gallery Park

Let us know what direction you're thinking of going in... or what you end up deciding! Would love to see!
January 8, 2013 at 2:07pm     
umaqeel
The room is so small and if you put bulky furniture in it, it will look even smaller and overwhelming.

One thing you can do for the room to make it look visually bigger is to keep it painted in one color only.

I think New Again Home Interiors's idea for the loft bed is perfect. You can see through it so it would reveal more of the room and it will look larger accordingly. You might need to add a drawer's unit under the desk for storage.

your may also add a white board at the back of the desk, and you may add shelves at the wall where the small desk is.

For wall decorating wall art above the bed would be wonderful you may use the bedding colors.

nice room colors by the way.

Good luck.
January 8, 2013 at 2:11pm     
olldroo
1. I thought the walls were blue, and a great shade that keeps the room open.

2 Bunk/loft beds are great ............. if you don't have to make them!!!

3. Mendi - only you could come up with artwork like that!!!
January 8, 2013 at 2:57pm     
dianaao
Should i get rid of the closet and just put a low 'closet' instead?
January 9, 2013 at 11:56am   
Nancy Hehmann
If you have some place else for the closet, I would move it to give your son more rm. Be careful with bunk beds. They might fall out.
January 9, 2013 at 12:15pm     
olldroo
dianaao - that closet doesn't look very big as it is and he is going to need more space as he grows. I would definitely not restrict yourself and, from the photo, it doesn't look as if it is overpowering the room at all. Keeping the opposite wall free except for artwork will keep the room open, you don't want the feeling you are walking into things when you walk in the door and that is what I'm concerned a bunk bed could do. I have had that in my own home.

It doesn't look like there is a lot of room at the foot of his bed for a deep desk so eventually homework will have to be done elsewhere but a simple desk like you have, add some drawers (if there is room) and some shelving above will just allow him a bit of his own personal space and somewhere to display his things.

I think you will be surprised once you put some meaningful artwork on that wall what a difference it will make to the room.
January 9, 2013 at 6:38pm     
dianaao
Thx everyone! Will start this WE
January 10, 2013 at 12:10pm