Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can you help with kitchen design ?
henryq
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First two pictures shows my existing living room which I would like to convert in to kitchen (Ikea), and the rest shows my ideas.
Can you help with design I'm not sure about the island width and length, also where to place sink with dishwasher and fridge to have a good access, also space between counter top and island.
I would like to have a breakfast bar just not sure if all this can work together ? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Here R some kitchen ideabooks. Be sure to read about the kitchen work triangle. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/query/kitchen-triangle
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:27AM
henryq
Thanks for advise but already know about kitchen triangle, as you can see from pics which I've posted.

It's all about the kitchen Island, I'm just not sure if there is enough space for 90cm wide 160cm long worktop on the middle, when you calculate the space 60cm from one side, 37cm from other there is 263cm left over minus 90cm wide island (60cm cupboards + 30cm breakfast bar) = 173cm/2 = 86,5cm, so i will have about 34" space between counter top and island - not sure if this will be ok.

0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 1:52PM
PRO
Mona Ives
This is ok but if you plan to have 2 people in the kitchen working then 36-42" is more desirable. 34" is tight. Allow yourself at least 36" passage space and many kitchen designers recommend 42". Based on your pics alone, that overhang looks too deep and too close to cabinetry. If you put stools there you won't be able to pass. You need the 36" behind the stools, not including them. I would suggest you hire a designer in your area for a 1 hour consultation to review your plans and give you suggestions.
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:04PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I really like the 1st kitchen lay-out with the double ovens. I was wondering could you make the island with less cabinets and the remaining counter top have that be the breakfast bar going a little longer toward the window wall. Your dishwasher would be on one side and just a 15" or 18" cabinet on the right hand side as your standing at the sink. If you need the DW on the right this would work the opposite way also.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
If you were able to get the sink/dw and cooktop on the left wall, by shrinking the far end cabinet, moving the cooktop down, then dw and sink,pull out trash, keeping the wall ovens on the right wall, you could support the island with cabinets at either end and put 2 stools between underneath. I agree with Interiors International that the double oven is nicer.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:10PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Don't forget to figure in your refrigerator door swing so it doesn't hit the countertop. Also, figure the space from the appliance handles--not the cabinets. There may also be a minimum clearance in the back of the fridge for air flow and plug. Also, don't forget to figure in the overhangs on both the island top and the countertop--not from cabinet to cabinet. BTW--I always figured for countertop bracing for anything that hung over 12". Some will say 6". Best to get an kitchen planner as was suggested if you can. There may be some other, not so obvious considerations.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 6:37PM