Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for kitchen
pudlma
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are renovating our house. The kitchen is directly open to the dining room and visible from the living room. The kitchen is U-shaped and will have frameless natural maple cabinets with rosewood stained trim at the top and bottom of the uppers and a "prairie style" geometric inlay on the upper doors (not yet completed) and a rosewood toekick. The dining room furniture is Danish modern rosewood. The flooring throughout the kitchen, dining, living area is red oak-yet to be finished. All trim is natural maple. Living room furnishings will be earthen colored (brown, burgundy, beige, cream with some black,grey highlights). Our challenges are the following:
1. Find granite for the kitchen counter which is simple, yet interesting, without too much movement, light rather than dark, but warm. We want the focus to be on the kitchen as a whole and not on the counters.
2. Decide what shade/stain the red oak floor should have.
3. Find a better cream wall color. We selected Pittsburgh Paint Oatmeal and now that the first coat is on the walls, my husband thinks it has a slightly green tint. I assume we need to find another cream color which is more in the brown or grey color family.

Photos of the kitchen in progress are attached.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Dar Eckert
Just a comment. From this vantage point it look like the upper cabinets are too close to the windows. Maybe consider removing the two upper cabinets on either side of the window.
January 8, 2013 at 9:58am     
mmilos
Stain the wood floors dark like the rosewood trim in the cabinets.
January 8, 2013 at 10:02am   
decoenthusiaste
Agree with Dar that the windows are very blocked up by this layout. You might consider something other than granite if you want simplicity. Red oak can be tricky. Can your floor people work up some samples to compare with the rosewood trim and your furniture?
January 8, 2013 at 10:07am   
Grace Reed
I love what you're doing but have to agree with the window issue. The cabinets and/or the window could be changed. Will the sink be in the corner? I think quartz would be a better option than granite and give you everything you want in the look.
January 8, 2013 at 10:21am   
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
Quartz countertops with a straight edge. Undermount stainless sink. You can run the quartz on the backsplash too. Full pieces give a clean contemporary look. I would only remove the cabinets that are on the left of the windows (next to oven/micro cabinet) You only have two choices for wood floor color same as the trim (rosewood) or same as cabinets (natural) otherwise you are going to get a very busy look. Wall and ceiling should be color matched to countertop color. See attached colors either would look great
January 8, 2013 at 10:42am   
pudlma
Thank you all for your comments. Brook Can you tell me the quartz manufacturer and the name of the quartz in your photos. The one on the darker cabinets looks particularly interesting.
January 8, 2013 at 11:15am   
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
go to www.cambriausa.com Color above cardiff cream. You might like snowden white or waverton. They have alot of colors. Good Luck
January 10, 2013 at 5:20am   
PRO
Stoneshop
Some granite options for you:

Kashmir Gold -- [houzz=Kashmir Gold Granite Kitchen] See more photos in our album "Inviting Traditional Kitchen"
Santa Cecilia -- [houzz=BY HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION]
Colonial Cream -- [houzz=Arlington]
Millenium Creme -- [houzz=Informal French Kitchen]
January 10, 2013 at 8:34am   
pudlma
Would kashmir white also work?
January 13, 2013 at 8:42pm   
PRO
Stoneshop
Yes, I believe so. It is a beautiful stone! When you go to view slabs, be sure to bring a cabinet door with you so that you can make sure that the colors are complementary.
January 15, 2013 at 9:47am   
PRO
Rustica Hardware
You may want to consider having part of your counter space as a butcher block. It looks fantastic and is a wise use of counter space. Some home owners have their island in the kitchen as a butcher block. See the gallery at: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-block-countertops/
January 15, 2013 at 10:16am   
pudlma
Thank you
January 15, 2013 at 1:43pm   
wmpj
How about soap stone for the counters? It's beautiful and simple.
January 15, 2013 at 3:14pm   
More Discussions
HELP-Will my over the range microwave be too low?
Kitchen remodel about to begin. We just ordered our...
What color should I use for this room? It's so flat
This room is too flat! It needs some color. Walls?...
You know you live in California when...
You have an avocado tree in your backyard and four...
Family room decorating
Looking for advice in picking console table for this...
What to do with this space?
New office space in need of some help. Any midcentury/eclectic...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.