Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What does this room need?
kimdee24
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love some ideas and opinions on this room and how to pull it together! Paint color? Artwork? I'm open to any and all suggestions. The one corner is so empty, I'm debating about maybe a small chair, or something. Plus I have the big blank wall to consider and the wall with the dresser on it as well. Not a big fan of mirrors, but maybe a leaning mirror on the large wall facing the bath. Open to all thoughts! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
House of Holland - TX
Exactly how much room do you have from the side of the bed to the large blank wall?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:39AM
kimdee24
There is four feet from the edge to the wall.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I think what I'd like to see is to have you move your chest of drawers over to the large blank wall and add a mirror above that. Then move your bench the end of your bed. I love your artwork and think it's substantial enough to stand on its own. A couple other questions - are you happy with your wall color? And what color are your roman shades - I can't exactly tell.
4 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:53AM
Stacey Rushing
I would add a comfy reading chair with an ottoman, throw and maybe a free standing reading light that has a dimmer on it. Also add a large mirror over the dresser :)
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:53AM
Manon Floreat
I would consider a petite tub chair and dressing screen on the large bare wall and a round sunburst mirror above the bed. A serene art piece above the dresser would be a restful alternative to a mirror.
3 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:55AM
kimdee24
Deuxieme 'Eclat: Thanks! I can certainly try the new arrangement and see how it works. The roman shades are chocolate brown. The wall color currently is "Waterchesnut" from Dulux. It could change, or even add a second color, feature wall or something.

Stacey: i love the idea of a reading corner!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 11:57AM
kimdee24
Manon: Those are lovely! Thanks!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 12:00PM
decoenthusiaste
We could use a few more photos to flesh out the room's layout. I see a bathroom door and another door but can't tell if it goes to a closet or is the entry. I think your bed looks squeezed into the space between the windows. Try it on the long empty wall and pull your side tables away from it a bit. Put the art and bench between the windows to be seen better upon entering the room. You could lean a floor mirror where the art and bench are now, and put a small chair with it. I'd put a large area rug pulled halfway under the bed from the bottom as seen in the pics below. It will reflect in the mirror, as will one of the bedside tables and lamp. Window treatments look good but I think I'd add floor to ceiling striped panels to match the spread and soften the window edges. Put them on decorative rods that match the drawer pulls - you are missing a bit of bling. And for the piece de resistance, try a drum chandy. I'm reading the spread as black, gray and white, but you get the gist of the inspiration pics.
Spanish Oaks Hacienda
Waving Stripes Curtain - Anthropologie.com
Chrome and Black 6-light Crystal Chandelier | Overstock.com
Indoor 4-light Chrome Antique Bronze Chandelier
6 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:06PM
chelseabeagle
A pale soft paint colour and sheer curtains to soften the windows.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:11PM
PRO
Step One Design
Hmmm.
Have you thought of moving the bed to the large blank wall, opposite the bath? Then I would paint it a real strong accent color in a deep rich purple/aubergine.
Finally, I would consider moving that great art piece between the windows, with the bench underneath?
Just a thought.
Lisa
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 12:15PM
kimdee24
So many great ideas, I'm so appreciative of all the input!

This is the floorplan for the room, if that helps. The current bedding is a light grey with darker greyish blue pattern. I definitely agree -- it needs some window treatment aside from the blinds, and certainly some bling!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:17PM
PRO
Step One Design
Oh, and dresser where the painting is currently.
The other thing, is maybe add side panels to the long windows, right to the ceiling. Would give impact to room.
L
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:17PM
PRO
Step One Design
Sorry - didn't read decoenthusiat post. Lots of great ideas there - didn't mean to duplicate.
However - really emphasis the dark accent wall behind bed.
Good luck.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
kimdee24
Floor plan:
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
PRO
REDinterior
You have done such a nice job. I would recommend bringing in a plant if the lighting will support it and maybe a mirror to reflect the art work and make the room bigger. A lamp on the dresser could look very nice too.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:24PM
kimdee24
@REDinterior -- Thank you!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 12:31PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I think my concern with moving the bed to the large blank wall is that everything else is going to feel a little tight. The way you have things now you at least have a good traffic flow and wouldn't be trying to squeeze by anything. I like the idea of the rug. And I think you could actually position the bedside tables a little further under the windows - as long as you can comfortably reach your lamps - but this would make it looked a little less squished together. I'd at least hide the outlet. Let me think about color - do you have a favorite? Maybe we could work it in somehow. Cute dog BTW!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 12:34PM
janishill
Deco nailed it this time. Moving the bed isn't going to make the room feel squished (is that really a word?) It will make it feel comfortable and spacious.

Hope to see pictures along the way.
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:48PM
MAlps
I don't think it's neccessary to have so much furniture right when you walk into the room. Try moving the dresser to the empty wall and the art should go ontop of it. Than instead of walking into the bench upon entering the room, put by the wall opposite the bed. It's a nice room with nice pieces just needs some rearanging!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:52PM
kimdee24
@Deuxieme 'Eclat -- I was just in there measuring and I have to agree... it does seem a bit tighter with the bed against the large wall -- the other issue is the refrigerator is on the other side of that wall and when it drops ice in the middle of the night, it's loud enough to wake the dead! (I wish they'd insulated that wall).

I can move the bedside tables over a little bit, but the heat register on the left will be directly underneath... that's why i kept them close. But I can definitely do something about the outlet.

I don't really have a 'favorite' colour. I tend to lean towards warm neutrals, blues and greens (rather than yellows or reds).

And that's Mocha... my little photobomber!

Thank you EVERYONE for all this great input! I appreciate each and every comment!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:58PM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
I like the look of your room. Maybe white porcelain wall sculpture above the bed. or fiber art. I don't mind the empty corner. Maybe add a little soft yellow on bed or bench.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:04PM
kimdee24
Thanks Jonathan. It's close to where I want it I think, just needs some "finishing touches."
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:23PM
kimdee24
I know these colors won't be accurate on screen, but here's what I was thinking originally. The current color is Water Chestnut. The whole house is this color. It actually looks lighter on the wall than in this swatch.

I've used "Arrow Wood" in the great room. The other three colors are from the same chip, and I was thinking maybe "Chinchilla White" or "Roma Haze" on the window wall. But maybe it doesn't go with the wall color. It might pick up some of the grey tones from the bedding.

Just a thought. If it stinks, I won't be hurt!
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:27PM
kimdee24
One more pic. This is the color scheme so far in the rest of the house. The pattern is on my dining room chairs.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:32PM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
nice rich nuetrals. Sometimes can look a little sad. Maybe a few restrained pops of color here and there in accents.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 3:59PM
Miguel Gomes
Ser more fotos át.:

Www.moveme.pt
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:19PM
Ramona
What feels tight about the bed on the now blank wall? Turn off your ice maker just before you go to bed. You can turn it on in the morning. Unless you use a great deal of ice, it should be fine. I really like the idea of the bench between the windows, but also like it at the end of the bed. Obviously the rug is necessary to warm things up a bit. Your bedside tables can go partially over the register. The air will flow around. They are a few inches off the floor? I like the drape to the ceiling flanking the window idea.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:20PM
kimdee24
Just a quick rearrangement - dresser moved to blank wall and bench moved to the end of the bed. I tossed up the mirror from the powder room, just to see. I can try the bed on the blank wall, but I can't move it myself so it will have to wait until the weekend!

Thanks for the all the comments -- you've all really got me thinking, and have come up with things I wouldn't have thought of. Appreciated!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi kdeley & everyone!

kdeley -gorgeous room! LOVE all of it, especially the art piece. Great ideas here - I think I agree w/all of them. I do love deco's idea of reorienting the room but not if it is too squished for you. (Janis - I think it is a word. ;) )

Is it possible for you to move the bed a little away from the wall - that way you can pull the side tables forward just beyond the vent & then out to the sides away from the bed more (as suggested).

I like the idea of a comfy cozy reading nook like Manon suggested. (I love some of the products she suggested too, especially since we carry some. ;) You could put a taller chair in the corner, then you could move the dresser closer to the door & put a mirror above it w/out the wall looking unbalanced.

I would move the bench to the end of the bed & move the art piece down just a tad. Or - if you have another substantial piece of art similar to the one in the picture you could put them both on the blank wall & just leave the bench where it is.

I think the pendant light is a great way to add some bling to the space.

Perhaps I should have just said "ditto." :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. Love your little photobomber - a shih tzu?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:25PM
kimdee24
Lyvonne! You have some great stuff on your website -- please tell me you ship to Canada!

Thanks for your comments, yes, I could move the bed forward slightly so the tables can clear the registers -- another thing I didn't think of, thanks! So many great suggestions by everyone, I can't wait to try out some of them and see how they work.

And yes, my little photobomber is a shih tzu who just loves to insert herself whenever the camera is out!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 6:09PM
Terry Fasano
Try wall stencils...check out Etsy
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:12PM
apennameandthata
1. Big rug. This is the most important.
2. Skirting board 7% the height of the room, if you want.
3. Crown moulding, if you want .
4. Big mirror or art high up the wall (so you have decoration at all levels of the room.
5. Paintings you actually love.

Well done, you guys. You have done a great job with the colours. You will get pop with the extra stuff. You could introduce some red or orange or black pops of colour. These will be analogous as brown is really just dark orang/yellow. You could bet more height into the room with a much higher bed head, contemporary 4-poster, or contemporary fabric hanging from the ceiling. Too easy.

You guys have a lovely house. Congrats. Pls post after pics.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:20PM
apennameandthata
P.S. That mirror is much too small. Err on the side of big.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:21PM
kimdee24
Thanks, apennameandthata! I'll be sure to post pics when we're done.

(Agreed, that mirror is too small... i just stuck it there to get a sense of size requirement).
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:26PM
PRO
the essentials inside
kdeley -

Thank you - so nice of you to say. And yes, we can ship to Canada!

My dogs - 1 ShihTzu, 1 Pekignese - are exactly the opposite - they run when they see the camera. Well, not really, but they always seem to turn away from it.

Can't wait to see how your room comes along!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Window treatment or no?
I posted for advise awhile back when the room was empty....
Need help with a dark hallway ?
We have a dark hallway, which colors would be best...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
House exterior
I want to repaint my house and roof .please advice...
Picking out granite for master bathroom
Dark kona cabinets in bathroom, is brown sapphire ...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.