powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with my Master Bedroom... I need to update!
clt96881
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! What does this room need? My bathtub overflowed and my entire master area was flooded out. I had to remove the existing berber carpet and am now looking at replacing the floor. I love the idea of hardwoods, but they are too expensive for my budget. I've considered using hardwood tile and will probably go this route, however, I need help with the decor for the entire master bedroom. Originally traditional decor, but now I want to go more modern (as traditional invites clutter). What can I do to update the decor in this room, making it crisp and clean. Can I keep the 4 poster bed and furniture and still have the room look modern chic? Are hardwood tiles going to work for this room? I have a lot of furniture because we have lots of clothing and a small master closet.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
The poster shouldn't hold you back from going clean, modern and simple. Here are some inspirations.
Contemporary painting
Bountiful
Lido Island I
Girl's Room
7 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
Hmmmm. Did you get any kind of insurance settlement from the flood? Just saying, because if you're planning on going more modern you'd need to replace most of your furniture as well. If not, I'd personally not want you to go with the hardwood tile (you do mean ceramic, right?) as it's going to cause a lot more echo than you'd probably like - in your bedroom especially. Laminate hardwood might be the way to go for you, but again be sure to budget for some kind of area rug to soften things. When replacing your bed linens, choose monochromatic schemes to make it more contemporary and just simply de-clutter! Or you might choose to hire a professional organizer - trust me, it makes all the difference sometimes in choosing what should stay and what should go.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:23PM
clt96881
I had to strong arm my insurance company to get any settlement at all. It's been two months, and they had been delaying, refusing, and denying the claim. My deductible is 1% or 3000, so they indicated that there was exactly $3020 in damages. After getting several estimates... none of them less than $6000, they finally said that they will pay me $2000 and no more. So, I'll still have to foot most of the bill for this damage. I really need $8000 -10000 to really spruce it up. With $3000 I have saved, I have a $5000 budget. Therefore it's important that I reuse the furniture. I love the pictures decoenthusiaste! I could see the room looking great now once the clutter is gone. However, it appears that I will still need to consider hardwoods. I don't like Laminate at all and was hoping that the ceramic wood looking tiles would work. We are planning on moving to a new home within a year or two, so I did not want to invest too much in flooring because I have been told that we won't get that money back.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:33PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
If you're moving, I'd just stick with carpet for now. Maybe consider using a dark color to simulate your wood tones. I used a chocolate brown low pile Mohawk carpet in this project and then used an awesome metallic color on the walls and ceiling. Metallics help with a room the size of yours as they create a glow and give you a very romantic feel to the room. You can pick up samples of these at any Lowes or Home Depot just to get an idea.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:39PM
PRO
LM Designers
I would put in new carpet since you aren't staying. This is your most inexpensive option. The wood look tile is cold, noisy and installation costs quite a bit. I wouldn't want it in my bedroom. The above pictures are beautiful, try to copy one of those.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 12:46PM
mcgibs55
self sticking vinyl tile seems to be making a comeback. I have seen some convincing wood grain patterns and I am sure there would be some nice ones in a ceramic pattern as well. In addition to being cheaper, the sticky vinyl tiles are warmer and softer on your feet than authentic stone, so it might be a good option. All you have to do is prime and clean the floor. hopefully the water damage didn't affect the subfloor too badly, but if so, replace it with a underlayment grade of plywood. This has a smoother face than standard plywood and will allow the tiles to stick more efficiently.

Also, I know you weren't asking, but I think that your bedspread and the pink walls don't work together too well. If you love the pink, consider a new bedspread or vice versa. I think that would really make a difference aesthetically speaking, along with the new floor. Once the budget eventually allows, opt for floor to ceiling pantries, like a billy bookcase with doors from ikea, to tidy and modernize the space:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-billy-bookcase-index-bloom-95590
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 12:48PM
2dogssashatess
I agree that new manchester in a simple, monochromatic design would help greatly. Decluttering is essential by removing photos, things hanging from the lamps, books,tassels. is that a paper shredder on the floor?, . This room is too visually busy with multicolored checked bedspread, the striped curtains with tassels. the pink feature wall and the ornate bedside tables. if the furniture is going to stay you need to be more restrained in your choice of curtains, beddiing, wall color and declutter
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 1:24PM
janishill
Go with a darker shade of a neutral carpet if you are planning on moving in the near future. This will appeal to buyers and will look good in the mean time.

It isn't the style of furniture that makes your room look out dated. It is how everything is put together. Try adding an armoire for extra storage, as well as a storage bench at the foot of the bed, and underbed wheeled storage containers. When you have the storage issues taken care of then you will not only feel better about the space, but it will be easier to decorate.

Paint the walls soft blue/gray like this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/brittanyblue
It will look beautiful with the white trim and the darker furniture

Add white bedding with a gorgeous blue-gray comforter folded across the foot of the bed and European pillows with shams in the same color. White curtains hung wide will add to the overall feel of spaciousness.

Keep it clean an dsimple for a more updated look.

I hope to see updates!
2 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 1:29PM
cassidyd
I would encourage you to rethink the "wood Tiles". As a previous poster said, they will be cold, and really will not look like a wood floor when installed due to the fact that they have grout lines and don't come in long lengths like actual wood. They work well in commercial construction but really are not appropriate for residential.
If you have your heart set on wood but cannot afford it, I would encourage you to look at vinyl planks. They won't fool you if you are looking closely but they will generally give much more the feel of a wood floor both visually and physically) than tiles will.
As other posters said, light carpet is a great option for a bedroom. It is soft and comfortable, and far more cost effective than wood. It is more typical to have wood in the public areas (i.e. living room, dining room, hallway) than in the bedrooms. I would suggest wood in a bedroom if you have it throughout the rest of the house.
I love the first posters ideas! Good luck!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 1:50PM
Dar Eckert
Here's a nice eclectic mix to consider. Its really the wall color and rug that give it an updated look.

1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 2:01PM
decoenthusiaste
You didn't give us all the facts! If you're re-selling, then keep it neutral and invest the minimum you can. I've updated the pics uploaded earlier and their more neutral.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 2:45PM
clt96881
Oh my goodness! I never expected to get such a wealth of information and suggestions. I am so very appreciative and trying to take it all in. I love them all, and now I have to make some decisions. It's a definite NO to the wood looking tiles. I never imagined the disadvantages. I am thinking yes to a nice carpet... but, definitely not berber again, maybe something low pile and simple like Duxieme 'Eclat suggested. I love, love, love that room with the metallic blue and browns, but I think that the paint would be expensive. I had this room painted recently, so I am only willing to repaint the pink wall (either to keep the neutral or create another color accent as Dar Eckert suggested) as I know I have to.

Where would I put the Armoire? I have a fabulous one that I am currently using in my home office which I would love to move to another room since it serves no particular purpose there. The armoire is huge though and this room is 20' x 15'. I have a King sized bed which headboard is placed against the 20' side (leaving just over 6 feet on either side of the bed. My bedside tables are actually two big dressers.

I know about the clutter. In fact I was tempted to clean up before taking the pictures, but that would not leave a true representation of my need for storage or my tendency to hold on to things. All comments are appreciated. In fact, I especially love the admonitions which tells me what is NOT WORKING in this room.

So, I am taking it that the minimum investment should be carpet. But since I will be here for another year or two, I should just keep my existing furniture and keep it simple via color. I love it. I'll take any other suggestions. What about artwork on the walls? I didn't really go overboard, but I would love to make the decor more interesting and classy. Thanks so very much for all of your suggestions.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:24PM
Ramona
If you are going to sell, the appearance of the master bedroom is important. You need to get rid of the pink wall for sure for selling. I would not go with a dark carpet. Many people would not like that. A light cream carpet won't get dirty in a bedroom absent a huge accident. Metallic paint is not all that more expensive. Modernize your window coverings. Your art doesn't need to be traditional. Your comforter doesn't need to be traditional. I think how you decorate around traditional, the fabrics you chose, how you use the colors can modernize anything. You can also paint traditional furniture to make it look modern.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 4:44PM
2dogssashatess
I agree with Ramona, generally people like a light and airy feeling. If you are going to sell in the near future, you need to decorate with a view to what most prospective buyers would like. I think this room will look heaps better with a change as simple as new light colored monochromatic bedlinen, and a similar type curtain and massive decluttering. e,.g remove that foot stool at the base of the bed that semi circle rug on the floor
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:50PM
2dogssashatess
The pink wall has to go. it is a master bedroom and I dont think men are going to feel thrilled about a pink wall.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 4:51PM
janishill
CAn you post pictures looking from side to side and top to bottom and vice a versa? Or a simple diagram of the room showing doors?

It looks like the armoire would go where the small chest of drawers and the mirror are right now...but what's on the wall to the right of the bed? Rearranging the furniture often has a huge impact.

Before even thinking of artwork or other decorative items get the basics done; paint, carpet and new bed linens.

Post pictures as you go and we'll try to help every step of the way! :-)
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:00PM
clt96881
Oh, don;t worry about the rugs on the floor. They are only there because most of the berber carpet was cut away when the flooding occurred and we currently have bare cement... so the rugs and pieces of carpet are thrown about to prevent having to walk on the cold floor. I agree that the pink wall has to go. I had a red thing going on 10 years ago, did not want to go with a red wall, and opted to go pink to calm things down a bit. I will go with white linens and curtains. Would it be ok to pair this with black and silver? Would that still work with the furniture?

Just thought I would move two huge silver and black modern lamps from an upstairs bedroom, and then go with a Black/White/Silver theme. Can I still keep the eggshell walls? Or should I opt for creme curtains and linens instead of white? Here is a picture of the lamps that I would like to use in this room. It does not do them justice. They are huge and gorgeous!
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 5:10PM
clt96881
So, here is the right side of the room. It holds my husband's two dressers. One with the TV, and then another (tallboy) for his socks and undies. I believe that the armoire would be in the way if placed where the tallboy dresser is. That dresser sits between the entry to the bedroom and the doorway to the master bath. I will definitely post pictures once I have completed this task. Here are some more pictures. I will draw a floor plan and upload.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:19PM
clt96881
I am not an artist, but here is the floor plan. The hallway entry to the bedroom is to the far right and the doorway to the master bath is the one in the middle of the room and opposite the bed. There are four windows. Two bedside tables (large dressers), large dresser on the right of the bed and one adjacent to the bed to the left of the doorway to the bath. Finally, one tallboy dresser between the two doors. So where would I put the armoire? I do have a wall with nothing on it, but do I want to put something on every wall?
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:36PM
clt96881
FYI... The dresser on the wall to the left of the bathroom door is actually a file cabinet, which probably should not be in the room, but i use it to store my workout tops and bottoms. Above it is a cabinet for the flatscreen TV that we plan to install.
0 Likes   January 8, 2013 at 5:43PM
janishill
First things first. Paint the walls or have them painted. I like this soft blue: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sweetdreams

...but go with whatever color you prefer.

When the walls are painted have the carpet laid...

then purchase white drapery panels and bed lines. They will always work wherever they are used...so if you do move they will still be useful. The lamps will look gorgeous in the room.

After those three things are done we will talk about furniture arrangement.

I think the armoire will work on the wall left of the bathroom door.
1 Like   January 8, 2013 at 6:24PM
clt96881
OK, let me get started then. Thanks so much!
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 11:39AM
katelyndunkel
I agree, I'd put the armoire to the left of the bathroom door and move out the file cabinet. You can store your workout clothes in the armoire. :) love all the ideas about repainting the walls and white monochromatic linens! Those lamps will be perfect in there. (You could always change out your lamp shades for white cylinder shaped ones)
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 1:17PM
clt96881
I'm almost done. I should be able to.post pictures on Friday or Saturday.
1 Like   February 13, 2013 at 10:30PM
clt96881
Here are the updated pictures that I promised. Keep in mind that I am in the process of house hunting, so I wanted to reuse existing furniture.
3 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 3:58PM
clt96881
I left the armoire out because I thought that it was too bulky for the room. Yes, I still have the filing cabinet for my workout clothes. It fits just under the flatscreen TV cabinet, and is great for holding the cable box.
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:08PM
clt96881
I will recover the piano bench that I'm using at the foot of the bed. I'll get some nice, thick sponge and use buttons to make it nice and comfy. There's one wall that is totally empty, so I am thinking that I can do some nice photos or one wall painting. Otherwise, suggestions?
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:10PM
clt96881
Room Updated!!!
0 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:16PM
janishill
You have done a fantastic job! It is ever so much nicer. I imiagine you two are enjoying it.

There are a few tweaks you can make that will make a huge difference. You might try switching the file cabinet and the chest of drawers that is between the two doors. The TV cabinet is too wide and too dark for the filing cabinet, but should work nicely with the chest. Then move the tall narrow chest to the empty wall left of the bed. Is there room in your closet for the jewelry chest? Or maybe the bathroom? If not it could go to the right of the tall, narrow chest after you move it to the left wall.

Your 'Dancing in the Rain' picture is hung slightly too high. Drop it down so the bottom of the frame is it is only about 6" aboce teh back of the chair.

Thanks for posting new pictures. I love to see the before and after shots!
2 Likes   February 15, 2013 at 4:22PM
clt96881
I was concerned about the color of the filing cabinet against the TV cabinet, so moving the other chest will definitely take care of that. I will move the jewelry chest back to the closet, bring down the picture, and put the tall narrow chest on the empty wall. Such wonderful improvements... Thank you so very much!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:32PM
janishill
Can't wait to see more updates!
1 Like   February 15, 2013 at 4:49PM