Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entry Way Help
kfeighan1
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help 'finishing' my entry. I am horrible with finding the perfect accessories or finishing touches.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patriciarhall
are the photos on the console family?
January 8, 2013 at 2:45pm   
olldcan
Well your off to a great start. I'd either move the mirror down and to the right a bit or move the desk to the left. Either way, a floor vase with some really tall branches or bamboo in black would balance it out nicely.
January 8, 2013 at 2:46pm   
Jayme H.
I like your style. Seems like the mirror may be too large and/or u could lower it a bit and move it more to the right? I am overall wondering it it is just too big for that spot. I would move the table a tiny bit to the left, and maybe find a smaller piece for the wall above it and go from there.
January 8, 2013 at 2:47pm     
kfeighan1
The photos are family, but can easily be moved. The mirror is not hung in the correct spot, I agree, however it came with the wrong hardware which made hanging it almost impossible. We are waiting a fix!
January 8, 2013 at 2:50pm     
kfeighan1
Another view
January 8, 2013 at 2:51pm   
PRO
House of Holland - TX
I agree - mirror is way too big. In fact that piece may be too big overall for the space. Do you have any other pictures?
January 8, 2013 at 2:52pm   
Manon Floreat
The mirror, while fantastic is too large for its current spot. Try moving the chest to the left a bit and topping it with a nice table lamp. That, your photos and perhaps some flowers will make a nice vignette.
January 8, 2013 at 2:52pm     
PRO
LM Designers
Try to center the mirror over console. I think you are off to a good start.
January 8, 2013 at 2:53pm   
PRO
House of Holland - TX
OK - I'm just thinking a piece with less depth and bulk might help here...
January 8, 2013 at 2:53pm     
epeemom
I agree with Jayme. The mirror seems too large. But to balance it out-shift the chest to the left. Also-take the color photo, scan and make it the same - either sepia or b/w, put back in the frames.
January 8, 2013 at 2:55pm     
patriciarhall
your console and sculpture peices are very nice. remove the mirror altogther. add more family photos in various sizes and in matching frames on the wall like a mini gallery wall. the photos would be so much more interesting to look at than the reflection of the door in the mirror - which is too large for the space. I would leave the gold framed photo on the console with the sculptures and maybe add a living plant to bring life to the space. thanks for letting us share ideas.
January 8, 2013 at 2:59pm   
Darzy
I think your mirror may work here if it's off the edge an inch. Then move the console left. For the wall "space" between the mirror "V" of the wall, how about a medium tall candlestick(s)? Remove the dark picture frame and keep the gold one for on the left side, sort of under the mirror. Then, the candlestick(s), then the horses. Either one, or two different height candlestick(s) would look great here.

January 8, 2013 at 2:59pm     
Dar Eckert
It would be ok to have the mirror uncentered but it needs to be over the chest/ So move the chest over until the mirror is over it entirely.
January 8, 2013 at 3:18pm     
carol02
You have beautiful objects! I love the two bronze(?) sculptures. I think that the mirror is a bit too big for the space and will never look "quite right" in its current spot. Consider moving the mirror to the hallway wall on the left and replace the mirror with two wall mounted candle holders in staggered position. Pottery Barn has nice 15" pillar and votive holders (Artisanal) that would be nice balance with the dark sculptures. Leave the sculptures where they are, but use a stack of books to elevate the dark picture frame under the candleholders and place the gold frame on the table by the books. Move the chest of drawers all the way to the left and on the right by the stairs put a white or cream ceramic umbrella holder for umbrellas or walking sticks or as someone else posted a floor vase with branches. I hope this help, I bet you have a lovely home.
January 8, 2013 at 4:14pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I love the mirror but it is too large for the space. Shift the chest to the left and place a handsome table lamp, tall hurricane lamp or grouping of candlesticks on the left side. Your sculptures will provide balance on the right. Then add a low vase of fresh flowers to greet yourself and guests. Shifting the chest to the left might allow for an ottoman on the right. You must have another great spot in the house for that gorgeous mirror.
January 8, 2013 at 4:52pm   
kfeighan1
I will take as many suggestions as possible, make the change and take some new pictures. Thanks everyone so much!
January 8, 2013 at 5:35pm   
tennisanyone
Take down the mirror, move the chest to the left, get a lamp and use a small ivy plant to add some life. I would keep the pictures and statutes for now.
January 8, 2013 at 5:50pm   
kfeighan1
Is this any better? I know I need to move the mirror, but I haven't gotten the replacement yet.
January 11, 2013 at 1:50am     
guerrerofamilee
200% better!!
January 11, 2013 at 4:07am   
tennisanyone
So much better but I would find a lamp that has a rectangle shade to fill up the space once you take down the mirror. I like the arrangement on the right and instead of the topiary, maybe a small ivy plant that trails and is fuller at the bottom.
January 11, 2013 at 4:41am   
Darzy
Yes, until you find the perfect mirror, you can put a lamp like this to fill the wall space and remove the topiary. This arrangement has the "angle" of the stairs working for it. High to low.

January 11, 2013 at 11:05am     
Christine
That mirror does not belong there. You should consider an oversized Jar lamp and then just finish off the display with a small box or crystal bowls or blue and white vases. For that wall if you don't want to put an oversized lamp then maybe a square painting (watercolor) and align it with the left edge of the console or even bump it a bit past the left edge. Get something in a gilded frame for a bit of sheen.
January 11, 2013 at 11:17am   
bupshill
The mirror is too big for that space, and is the wrong shape. An oval shaped mirror, gilded frame maybe, or antiqued, would be a better option. A low vase with fresh flowers in the middle would be a nice touch and will add some life and color. Vary the tones of the accesories. Right now, the dark chest, the book ends (horses) and the books, the mirror frame and the topiary base are all the same color/tone and is reading a bit "flat". The small frame contrasts nicely with the chest. Goodluck!
January 11, 2013 at 11:46am     
abbshel
I think the mirror is just wrong for the space. The idea to use a lamp as shown in the above picture just makes more sense. You will have your "light" that a mirror simulates but the lamp will fit the space and be more appealing visually.
If you don't like the lamp, then what about a tall, beautiful glass candle holder on a base or stacked on books, etc.
January 11, 2013 at 12:30pm   
shannel
i would say change the mirror out to the indiviual mirriors creating your own mirror scene on that wall.
January 11, 2013 at 3:08pm   
ebonydiva
How about a rectangular mirror?
January 11, 2013 at 3:19pm   
carol02
much better balance - I agree with all comments about adding a tall lamp or tall candle holders. I like the gold frame - adds a bit of brightness.
January 11, 2013 at 3:23pm     
judianna20
Great suggestions. I would like to add mineā€¦.leave the mirror where it is. Get a black floating shelf to hang to the right of it and put the two horses on it. Move the chest to another spot in your house.

January 11, 2013 at 3:29pm     
shannel
after looking at this pic again, you could even do a few shelves on that wall with everything on the chest on those sheleves and get a large mirror holder and just have the mirror sit on the chest alone... just a thought...almost like at a tilt.....
January 11, 2013 at 3:42pm   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
2-cents more...........! Rehang the mirror on the far wall which runs from the first floor up to the second. To make it more important. add a hanger by using a cabinet knob or finial about 36" above the mirror. Make sure it's centered to the mirror directly. Then take a gros grain ribbon, loop it once around the finial and then attach to either side of your mirror. Now the round mirror appears to be hung from your finial. This is how it would have been done in the late 1800's. You can use ribbon, cord, hemp rope (tea stained), even leather shoe laces. If you like you can also make a lazy bow around the finial before attaching the ends to your mirror. Attach the ribbon to your mirror with a glue dot or double stik tape.
The 36" height is relative so you can play with that distance, but the goal is to give your eye a place to land and give that huge wall some interest.
Back where the mirror was, add a lamp, a small stack of books topped by the horse/es and you are done.
It would be great to see what you end up with so post an "after" image. Jeffrey Brooks
January 11, 2013 at 3:50pm     
kfeighan1
Yes? No?
March 8, 2013 at 6:19am     
carol02
Yes! Spring flower are a nice look - counter balances the mirror. Good job!
March 8, 2013 at 1:11pm   
brody1313
Yes...also................it's balanced........love the sculpture of dark horses that pulls it together..........and so much better without family photo's.... love this mirror and glad you can use it....good luck
March 8, 2013 at 1:20pm     
Dar Eckert
Excellent & glad you kept the mirror.
March 9, 2013 at 7:52am   
K 7803
How about something like this?
March 9, 2013 at 7:55am   
Jayme H.
Looks a lot better! Good work!
March 9, 2013 at 8:44am   
loubelou
Very nice.
March 9, 2013 at 9:01am   
TanCalGal
I like what you have. For a change, you might try placing the horses on several books. You might need larger books. Turn horses to face the forsythia.
March 9, 2013 at 9:01am     
Diane Mazefsky
I would get a smaller mirror without a frame. Love the one in the photo above, and the sculpted horses or something like that. The mirror you have looks too heavy and overwhelms the proportions
and the spot.
March 9, 2013 at 5:10pm   
Diane Mazefsky
The new arrangement with horses and books looks great-just need to change the mirror now. I just reviewed the new photos:)
March 9, 2013 at 5:12pm