Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Purple dining room
taptoesena
January 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I found this image on Houzz months ago and my paint samples on my wall don't quite math. Right now it looks the same when I put it on the wall but when it dries its dark. Anyone know the type of paint and color to use to match this image?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
raynel
Does your room get the same amount of light as the pic? I have about 30 or more paint chips hanging in my dining room so that I can see the colors through the day and night time hours.
January 8, 2013 at 8:15pm     
raynel
The paint color could have been custom mixed, also.
January 8, 2013 at 8:16pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Trying to match a colour that you see on houzz is quite challenging. Even if you knew the exact colour that the designer used, you won't get what you see in the picture. This is because the real room has been photographed and the photograph uploaded to houzz and then it's viewed on your monitor. This process slightly changes colours, sometimes enough that the original paint colour is not recognizable in the picture! I've seen this happen!

If you like what you see in the photo, then try to match it as closely as you can. If you can't find a close enough match, go to a good paint store that custom tints. They will be able to look at the picture and tweak the formula to get it as close to the monitor picture as possible.

Good luck with this project.
January 8, 2013 at 8:17pm     
raynel
That's good info Cynthia! Answers me why some paint chips are not looking the same as what I see on here. :)
January 8, 2013 at 8:27pm     
taptoesena
Thank you! This helps. The color k currently have sampled on my wall is a close match. I'm also using light chairs... Here is my vision for the room.
January 8, 2013 at 8:43pm     
Natalie
Nice choices. :)
January 8, 2013 at 8:48pm   
taptoesena
This is what the room looked like when we moved in last month... The walls are not perfectly square and to the ceiling. It's a southwestern home. Would thin white DIY crown molding look stupid here?
January 8, 2013 at 8:55pm   
houssaon
It is strange, but your inspiration room looks photo shopped to me, which is beside the point.

Are you getting those lovely chairs in that print? If so, why not use the fabric and get a color to match. Remember the time of day and which direction your space faces (east, west, north or south) will impact the way you perceive the color.

I always say this, but I think it is important. Make sure you get a matte finish, which is washable, the color is truer and wall imprefections don't show.
January 8, 2013 at 9:03pm     
taptoesena
Thank you!!
January 8, 2013 at 9:09pm   
Natalie
Check colors SW 6838 Vigorous Violet, SW 6839 Kimono Violet, Ben Moore's 1378 Lazy Afternoon, 1379 Eggplant, 1371 Plum Perfect, and 1372 Ulta Violet---these all appear to be close to what you have. I agree with houssaon---the pic does look photoshopped. Good Luck!
January 8, 2013 at 9:12pm     
kathleen MK
An artist friend of mine has a deep eggplant purple dining room with white wood work and it looks great. Painting our shutters and door in similar shades I found the purples change alot in drying and with the light. So try lots of samples.
January 8, 2013 at 9:18pm     
taptoesena
I have valspar plum perfect up there now. Second coat is pretty dark but gorgeous when it's wet.
January 8, 2013 at 9:20pm   
taptoesena
The lighting in the room isn't very good with the current chandalier. Here's what it looks like with wet paint
January 8, 2013 at 9:21pm   
Natalie
I don't have the Valspar's sample, but the BM Plum Perfect looks quite close. :)
January 8, 2013 at 9:22pm     
Natalie
I know it's next to a golden yellow, but it doesn't look close at all to the inspiration pic.
January 8, 2013 at 9:25pm   
taptoesena
Thanks!
January 8, 2013 at 9:25pm   
taptoesena
It's the green shiny wall and the poor night time lighting!
January 8, 2013 at 9:27pm   
Natalie
Well that explains a lot :) Your paint has too much red in it... :)
January 8, 2013 at 9:31pm   
houssaon
I became obsessed with finding a close match. I think Grape Juice 2074-10 by Benjamin Moore is very close. See attached
January 8, 2013 at 9:37pm     
Natalie
Hard to tell how close the GJ is on my monitor. It still looks a bit red. The color in the inspiration has a little more blue---at least that's what I'm seeing. If none of the colors mentioned is a match, then color match the fabric as houssaon recommended.
January 8, 2013 at 9:45pm     
Natalie
I think I may have found your color---click on this link and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page... The homeowner referred to it as Plum Wine---might be worth a shot to inquire. It is quite close to houssaon's GJ-with a pinch of blue... http://www.houzz.com/discussions/293476#comments
January 8, 2013 at 9:52pm     
taptoesena
Thanks all!! Aside from lowes and Home Depot where can I find the Benjamin Moore and other brands you all mentioned? Ill test these samples and share my results this week.
January 8, 2013 at 10:29pm   
PRO
NexTrend Design
Love the chairs & bench you've chosen. I'd suggest a shade lighter & more muted on your walls than the purple in the chairs. It looks more interesting to have some variation within the same color family, especially if your accent pieces are the stronger, more vibrant shades of purple and the walls provide a slightly more subdued backdrop color. If it was me, I'd wait till the chairs arrive so you can select your colors more easily... or hire a color consultant from your favorite paint store to help guide you.
January 8, 2013 at 10:43pm     
houssaon
Go to the web for Benjamin Moore. They have a store locator.
January 8, 2013 at 11:52pm     
orangecamera
Sherwin Williams also has their own stores, so check locations on their website.

At a paint store, the employees are very knowledgable, and can help you find the color you're looking for. They can also help you choose which paint base to use; some are especially formulated for bathrooms and kitchens, for example.
January 9, 2013 at 1:28am